Thread: A Glimpse of Blue and Carrot Jam...

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default A Glimpse of Blue and Carrot Jam...

Jinotepe's weather has been cool with rain for five days solid!

Got a little glimpse of blue sky this morning, and what a welcome sight indeed. Rainy days are meant for reading and it was in a 1930 herbal book (A Modern Herbal) that I found a recipe for carrot jam. A little tweaking of the recipe and the result was a tasty change from fruit jams.

Peel, trim, and grate 1 lb of carrots. Place in pot and just cover with water. Boil for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. To this pulp, add 9 oz grated dulce, 3 oz butter and the juice of 2 limes. Cook over medium high heat for about 45 minutes more, or until the jam is the consistency you like. You can leave it chunky or blend with a hand blender for a more spreadable jam. With warm rolls fresh outa' the oven and some hot Nicaraguan coffee, what a healthy way to start the day!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Default dulce

Hi there CF..
    Just wondering , for some of us who dont have the luxury of living in Nica...what could we substitute for the dulce in your carrot jam recipe??
    any suggestions??

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

Default Looks delicious!

I'm wondering too about substituting honey or brown sugar for the dulce. One pound of carrots doesn't seem like much. *How much does the recipe produce? One pint or more? [I'm not a very good cook, but here in China, if I want Western food, I have to find a restaurant that serves Western food or cook it myself! *We'll see if it's foolproof enough for me! *:lol: ]
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have been useing the Dulce in place of Molasas...

Has the basic same flavor...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Dark brown sugar is a good substitute for dulce. The dulce has more of a caramel flavor, though. Try adding brown sugar and a tsp of caramel extract to get darn close.

Default just a thought

me again CF...my daughter is in MGA now ..she is returning next mth...not quite sure if i will be able to make it down..however, if i want her to bring me back some of that dulce..how exactly would she ask for it in the stores? not sure if u are talking about the dulce de leiche ( like the cajetas ) or is there another form of buying it??

thanks!

Default Here's a post on dulce to

show you what it looks like. These bricks are sold in the markets and food stores.

http://www.therealnicaragua.com/phpb...asc&highlight=

I have seen them sold in Latin American food markets scattered through the US. You may want to take a look in your local phone book and see if there are any around your area in the US.