Thread: Atlantic Coast Crab...to be continued!

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Atlantic Coast Crab...to be continued!

JW and I traded care packages recently and I was gonna share some pretty pix of the seafood this time, but the "upload photo" button is gone. Ack! :shock: *It's raining and the computer keeps freakin', so I'm going home to drink beer and finish this post another day....
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

It's raining so heavy that I can't leave the cyber! But on the bright side, the "upload photo" button is back, so here goes the rest of the post.

Headed to Managua's airport a few days ago to trade care packages with JW in Puerto Cabezas. Skies cleared as we approached Tipitapa and we didn't see rain again until we left Managua and crested the hill at El Crucero. JW's generous care package of Atlantic Coast crab was a sight for sore eyes, and my mind raced with the endless possibilites once I popped it open.

These crabs have a very thick shell and can be much trickier to open than their thinner-shelled cousin, the Alaskan King Crab. A cutting board and the back of a heavy cleaver are all the tools required to remove the big chunks of sweet meat, though. And while I will try many new combinations while playing in my kitchen with my latest seafood goodies, I simply had to get the whole "crab frenzy" outa my system and boil up all the small legs pieces in Old bay served with butter.

Some whole claw and leg meat, sauteed in bacon, garlic and green onions, and taters rounded out the meal. Gotta have my extra fat with every meal :wink:, so a quick remoulade sauce accompanied the whole crab pieces. Mmm, mmm, mmm!
    JW, you are the best, hon!
    Pieces of crab leg meat worked equally well in Roger's morning breakfast, a Cajun omelet with crab meat, mushrooms, onions and cayenne pepper. And I got another recipe for the cookbook in a seafood salad with remoulade sauce. Never had this much crab at one time, definitely too much fun!

Even got to put my therealnicaragua mug to use with some crab bisque last night. That sure is a pretty mug, John, dontcha' think? Now, what else will this crab do?

Seafood of this quality deserves loving attention and while this dish is a bit intensive, the results are worth every step. It'll make ya' feel like you've died and gone to heaven!
    In a pot of salted water, cook 8 canneloni shells till done, drain, rinse and toss with a little oil. Set aside. Melt 4 T of butter in a med high skillet, whisk in 1/4 cup of flour, stirring constantly for a few minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups milk a little at a time, whisking well. Bring to boil, whisk and cook for 5 more minutes. Pour into bowl, season with a pinch of nutmeg, two pinches of black pepper, and a dash or two of sherry or to taste. Set aside.
    Chop claw and leg meat pieces into chunks, 1/2 lb shelled shrimp too, quickly cook in skillet over med heat, remove from pan and let cool.
    Mince 1 onion and 2 garlic cloves, saute for 5-6 minutes of until soft, then place in mixing bowl.
    Add seafood, 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs, your favorites, I used a combination of basil, thyme and tarragon, and 1/2 cup of the sauce. Toss to coat seafood well.

To assemble, spoon a little sauce in bottom of baking pan, stuff canneloni noodles with seafood mix, then lay side by side in pan. Cover with any remaining seafood. Pour rest of sauce over the noodles, covering completely, and top with 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.

Blog Entries

Crab bisque definitely tastes better in a TheRealNicaragua.com mug!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am glad our corrdination worked out so well, and we each got the packages in a timely manner....

I love the way you do art with food, it makes it so much more appitizing to be good lookin' food as well as tasting good too.

Bradley and I were not so lucky when we exchanges packages just before Felix raveged us.

But he will be back one day and we'll try it again..

My kids could not wait to tear into your box...And had some things they never seen before.

How you got all those many goodies in that box I'll never know...

BTW Mr. Steve and I enjoyed the pickles with some homemade Corned beef....

This was our Crab soup over the weekend...

This went over not so good for the kids having to wait for the real goodies you sent..Look at Xena's face....LOL.

Thank you ...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

How you got all those many goodies in that box I'll never know...
    That's 12 years of catering, hon! When jobs are booked solid and all trucks are taken up, you learn real quick how to stuff food and supplies for 100 into a small car, just because ya' gotta!

Thanks so much for the pix of the kids! Those faces make all that cookie-makin' worth it!