Thread: Billy the Third

Blog Entries

Default Billy the Third

“It’s time to come home, son,” the tired old man said, pleading with his eyes.

At thirty, Billy still bristled in defiance at his father’s interventions. He took in a long breath and looked at his girlfriend sitting across from him. In broken Spanish he asked her, “Do you want to live in America?”

Her smile vanished. She scowled and shook her head, issuing forth a tirade of Spanish, “No! My family his here, my life is here.” She gesticulated, then tugged at her blouse where it was now stretching awkwardly across her belly.

Both Billy and his father understood without translating her words. Billy had been cheated, lied to, cut by machetes, lost everything he’d worked for in the year he’d been in Nicaragua, but he was still convinced he was doing the right thing. He was glad Maria was backing him up, however indirectly.

“Dad, I can’t just leave her, and she won’t go.”

“Son, this isn’t the life for you.” He leaned forward. “You’re educated. You’re smart. You could be anything you want to be.”

“Will you stop? Maybe this is what I want to be.”

“What, the father of a bastard kid with a teenage girl in some Godforsaken third world country? Is that the kind of son I raised?”

Billy stood up and stomped over to the window. A hot breeze blew in across his face as he looked onto the street. There, a stray dog yelped as a shirtless boy swatted it with a stick. The dog dropped the boy’s tortilla and trotted off. Will that be my son in a few years? Can I ever get away from my own parents?

He turned toward his father. “Dad, what do you want from me? You sent me to the best schools, I had a job that paid me tons of money, and I felt empty inside.” He noticed Maria looking at the floor. His voiced choked as he continued. “I quit and gave it all away. I looked all over the world for something I could do that would make a difference. Something that would feel good and I’d be proud of. My farm here came close to that. Then I met Maria -”

She looked up at the sound of her name.

“When she told me she was pregnant, I was happy. I couldn’t believe it. Happy! You want me to be ashamed, but I’m not.”

“Billy, did it ever occur to you she, or her family, just wants your money?”

He looked at her. “She’s not like that.”

“Son, they’re all like that.”

“Was mother like that?” He immediately wished he hadn’t said it.

“Of course not. She was from a good family. She –“

A good family, because they had money? Just because Maria’s family doesn’t have money you think they aren’t good?”

“Look what she’s done! She’s just a girl and she got pregnant. With you. You call that good?”

They all turned toward the clang clang on the metal bars of the front door as Maria’s family appeared outside. Everyone turned to see, Maria smiling and getting up to let them in. Though the tiny house was Billy’s, she had already started to treat it as her own.

As the entourage of extended family came in, a cacophony of voices filled the room. Each one greeted Billy and Maria, and she introduced William Sr. Billy’s father stood up as a reluctant show of respect, frowned, and extended a silent, luke-warm greeting to each.

The chatter reminded William Sr. of a flock of birds squawking around a water hole. Feeling left out of the foreign conversations, he sat down and crossed his arms. He watched his son talk to them in his slow and awkward Spanish and their patient responses. Billy smiled as he spoke with Maria’s family, and William realized it was the first time since he’d arrived he’d seen his son smiling.

Maria’s uncle Juan produced a bottle of Flor de Caña rum from a paper bag and asked Billy for some cups.

As Billy disappeared into the kitchen, his father grew more uncomfortable, nodding and grunting when spoken to. Soon his son reappeared with a stack of plastic cups and handed them out.

“Maria can only have a drop, solo una gotita para Maria,” he announced as Juan tipped the bottle toward each cup. The family laughed.

Still standing, the family beckoned William to rise. “Upa le! Arriba!” They waved him up with their hands, Uncle Juan sloshing a little rum out of his cup.

He felt softened by being treated as a friend by these total strangers and stood up, hearing rousing cheers all around. Someone thrust a plastic cup into his hand.

Maria’s grandfather, a small weatherbeaten man whose main form of expression at his age was through smiling mischievous eyes, solemnly raised his cup and announced, “A la familia nueva!”

Billy turned to his father, saying, “To the new family.”

They all stood in a semi circle facing Billy’s father. Managing a weak smile, William raised his cup toward the firing squad of merrymakers.

Nice writing, John! Somehow, I thought of Peter Christopher when I was reading this!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey this ain't fiction....

I like it John, it is true to life, I am looking forward to the continueation...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Default Thank you John.

I have really enjoyed your stories. *You have a gift; thanks for sharing.

Default where's the....

paul harvey?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I completely agree....

Where is "The Rest of the Story?

Holding out on us?????
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Depends. Is Billy in the magazine business? Is he from Kansas?

Default here's who billy is:

The marchin' band came down along Main Street
    The soldier blues fell in behind
    I looked across and there I saw Billy
    Waiting to go and join the line
    And with her head upon his shoulder
    His young and lovely fiancee
    From where I stood I saw she was cryin'
    And through her tears I heard her say

Billy, don't be a hero, don't be a fool with your life
    Billy, don't be a hero, come back and make me your wife
    And as he started to go she said, Billy, keep your head low
    Billy, don't be a hero, come back to me

The soldier blues were trapped on a hillside
    The battle raging all around
    The sergeant cried, We've got to hang on, boys!
    We've got to hold this piece of ground
    I need a volunteer to ride up
    And bring us back some extra men
    And Billy's hand was up in a moment
    Forgettin' all the words she said

She said
    Billy, don't be a hero, don't be a fool with your life
    Billy, don't be a hero, come back and make me your wife
    And as he started to go she said, Billy, keep your head low
    Billy, don't be a hero, come back to me

I heard his fiancee got a letter
    That told how Billy died that day
    The letter said that he was a hero
    She should be proud he died that way
    I heard she threw that letter away ...
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/