Blog Entries

Default Social Securety card applications

AMERICAN CITIZENS SERVICES

Social Security Card Issues
    • Applying for a Social Security Number
    • Need to look up your Social Security Number
    • Replacement Social Security Card
    • Amending your Social Security Card
    • Still waiting to receive your Card ...
    U.S. citizens interested in obtaining Social Security cards should come to the Embassy with evidence of identity and separate evidence of age. Both a U.S. passport and an original or certified copy of your birth certificate are normally required; originals only, photocopies will not be accepted.
    Parents may apply on behalf of children age 12 and younger but must present their own passport in addition to the child's U.S. passport and birth certificate (if born in the United States) or Consular Report of Birth Abroad (if born outside the United States); originals only, photocopies will not be accepted.

Non-U.S. citizens and those who do not reside in the United States may be eligible for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for U.S. tax purposes. This category applies to Nicaraguan citizen spouses resident in Nicaragua without Legal Permanent Residence in the United States. Follow this link for more information on ITINs.
    If you and/or your Nicaraguan spouse are immigrating to the United States, you will receive a Social Security number once in the United States as a Legal Permanent Resident. You cannot apply from within Nicaragua and must apply in the United States.
    Persons going to the United States on student or work visas cannot apply for a Social Security number overseas. Please apply in the United States.
    [back to top]
    Need to look up your Social Security Number?
    Social Security information is never released via phone. If you need to look up your number, please contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) regional office in Costa Rica directly. [link to “FBU Contact Hours”]
    SSA Costa Rica will research your request and send the information to the Embassy, at which point we will contact you by phone and ask you to come down to the Embassy to release this information.
    SSA Costa Rica Contact Information:
    Residents of Nicaragua who have questions about Social Security eligibility or about specific claims can contact SSA Costa Rica via phone, e-mail or fax. See contact details here. [link to “FBU Contact Hours”]
    [back to top]
    Applying for a Replacement Social Security Card
    American Citizens and Legal Permanent Residents can apply for replacement Social Security cards through the Embassy. You will need to bring your current valid passport or permanent resident card, along with the SS-5 application form.
    Please note: Replacement Social Security cards are issued overseas to U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents only. If you are not a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, and you are currently residing in Nicaragua, you will not be entitled to a replacement card even if you misplace it.
    [back to top]
    Amending Your Social Security Card
    Amendments such as name changes can be filed at the Embassy. Please contact our offices for hours and instructions on how to apply. [link to “FBU Contact Hours”]
    If there is a name change, you will need to bring current valid photo identification as well as evidence of the name change (such as a marriage certificate, divorce certificate, or court order authorizing the name change) when you visit the Embassy.
    Please note: Replacement Social Security cards are only issued overseas to U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents. If you would like to report a name change, the Embassy can assist in amending the record in the SSA system, but a replacement card will not be issued.
    [back to top]
    If you have applied for a Social Security Card, but have not yet received it ...
    Since all Social Security cards are printed in the United States, it may take several months from the time of application for you to obtain a new card. If more than six months have elapsed and you would like to check the status of your application, you will need to contact SSA Costa Rica. See contact details here. [link to “FBU Contact Hours”]
    SSA Costa Rica will research your request and send the current status to the Embassy, at which point we will contact you by phone and ask you to come to the Embassy to release this information. Social Security information is never released via phone.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

thanks JW, I was wondering about the whole Social Security issue, but I was hoping to solve the registering and passport first.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am the worlds worst procrastinator...

And I decided in these trying times we are living in to go ahead and get it for my children...

I did the report of foreighn birth and passport thing for them about 3 years ago which was not so difficult...This you DO have to do first...

I sent a question about SS registration to the Embassy about an hour ago, expecting an answer perhaps tomorrow sometime, Imagine my surprize when it was answered in 15 minutes.....After 7 PM on a Thursday?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

they must have put some beds and some fun activities in their new facility, to keep their employees there ALL the time! :lol:

The new consular answers her own emails. *I think she is the reason for quick response.

SS card is done at the same time as registering the birth and applying for passport. *All three in one shot, with all of the paperwork filled out.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We have exchanged several e/mails one conserning a team of humanitarian help in the Rio Coco area...Lara is on the ball....without a doubt...