Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday on the Island

Blog Entries

Default Saturday on the Island

Today was one of those days that reminds me why I want to be here.

Started the day with a trip to the airport to receive incoming, bought a few vegetables on the way, dropped off a few cases of (empty) bottles, 9am & all was going smooth, even worked in a quick meeting with the man doing my fencing. While making a trip to the beer distributor I stopped in at Cordell's Place across the street for a beer. Cordell has a bar & sometimes serves some food, Marlies once asked me if Cordell had a business there or if was just a private club. That is a pretty close description, Cordell has ice cold beer (the reason i stopped by this morning) & he is as likely to buy the beer as the customers are.

I had talked to Cordell earlier in the day & he had told me that he would be smoking "some" meat today, I had figured as much as Xmas is coming & had put out 2 whole chickens to thaw. My plan for the morning was to buy some beer & drop off the chickens all in one stop. Up until the time I walked into Cordell's the day had been flawless (very rare here) & it was about to get better.

I walked into what can only be described as a vegetarians nightmare. Meat everywhere, I would say over 75lbs, chicken, beef (even a tongue & heart), pork, fish, lobster, conch, & some I could not identify & did not ask. The meat was being parboiled then placed on the smoker. I got there in time for the first of many loads & got my chickens on right away. Since it is the Christmas season we had a few beers & watched the smoker smoke. Cordell soon declared that this would indeed be a long day of smoking & that soon it would be time to stop drinking beer. I decided I better go drop off the truck, rum time was coming. I dropped off the truck grabbed a bottle & some ice to add to the arsenol Cordell had on hand.

Over the course of the next few hours people came & went, meat was loaded & unloaded, samples were tasted, rum was drank, just another Saturday on the Island. You never know what to expect.

Back in November we were having a birthday party at Cordell's (we often use his place, he has a BBQ grill & as said before COLD beer). We had about 15 people there & were having plenty of food, beer, & rum. On the table was 15lbs of grilled chicken wings, over a gallon each of potato salad, pasta salad, & cole slaw. Cordell's has no sign or anything telling it is a business so few tourists stop in except by accident. That afternoon some tourists walked in & ask Cordell if he serves food & he said no, no food today, the tourists looked around & saw all the food & people eating & you could tell they were confused, we still laugh about it, no, no food today. The people are probably still shaking their heads over that one.

When on Corn Island stop by & have a beer, you might get lucky & be there when lobster is being unloaded & get to see the fuel that runs this Island. Cordell's place is located in Barrio North End directly across from the beer distibutor (Payo) the front door opens to the road & the back door opens to the sea, the back porch always has a cool breeze & plenty of shade & you can get no closer to the sea.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice story, ya can´t eat and don´t drink, and vise versa, when you are on the DAC...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Active TRN Member

The only photo I have of Cordell's; it is usually the first place I go when returning to the Island (start cooking, Kevin!). Pictured is one of Cordell's relatives, who was visiting from the States, buying some tortoise-shell and coral jewelry from Baya-Baya

You will find Cordell's directly across from Payo's
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Default ok

so i have to have a local to accompany me in? or just say cookshow sent me?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

Cookshow will probabibably be there, I think he has found a home...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Default kinda like the army?

when i went for pt runs, we sang jodies, to wit:

i like it here,
    i love it here,
    i finally found a home!
    hoowah!
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Default she's a vegetarian

I've got a New Age girl (tell us what she's like)
    Environmentalist girl (does she ride a bike)
    She has a crystal necklace (does she spend a lot of cash)
    Though her vibes are rather reckless (she's heading for a crash)

Oh her flowing skirt is blowing in a transcendental wind
    And she wonders without knowing where did we begin

Mary Moon, she's a vegetarian
    (Mary Moon, Mary Moon, Mary Moon)
    Mary Moon will outlive all the septaugenarians
    Oh she loves me so, she hates to be alone
    She don't eat meat but she sure like the bone

You know, she drives wind car (how does she like it)
    It doesn't get her far (why she doesn't bike it)
    But it gets her to where she's going
    I don't know, I don't know where that is
    I wish I knew
    I don't know where she's going and I don't know where she's been
    All I know that lovin' her has got to be a sin

Oh she loves me so, she hates to be alone
    She don't eat meat but she sure like the bone

Mary Moon, will you hesitate
    Don't segregate your thoughts from your emotions
    (Mary Moon)
    I know devotion isn't way up high

Mary Moon, she's an intellectual
    Mary Moon despite that fact remains quite sexual

Mary Moon (Mary Moon, Mary Moon, Mary Moon)
    Oh, Mary Moon (Mary Moon, Mary Moon, Mary Moon)
    Mary Moon (Mary Moon, Mary Moon, Mary Moon)

She's the one for me, me oh (Mary Moon, Mary Moon

Blog Entries

I was thinkng more of a song on ¨A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustation¨

Blog Entries

Anyone watch "Bizarre Foods" on the Travel Channel? Is Andrew Zimmern cookshow's identical twin?

Default Andrew Zimmerman

Is looking at going to Nicaragua for season 3 of Bizarre Foods.

Default the pose

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Anyone watch "Bizarre Foods" on the Travel Channel? Is Andrew Zimmern cookshow's identical twin?

the pose is the same!

Blog Entries

Default Re: the pose

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento
    Quote Originally Posted by John

the pose is the same!
    Except for a few extra pounds... they could be twinners....Corse, Cookshow has a better hairdo..

Blog Entries

Default Re: Saturday on the Island

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Back in November we were having a birthday party at Cordell's (we often use his place, he has a BBQ grill & as said before COLD beer). We had about 15 people there & were having plenty of food, beer, & rum. On the table was 15lbs of grilled chicken wings, over a gallon each of potato salad, pasta salad, & cole slaw. Cordell's has no sign or anything telling it is a business so few tourists stop in except by accident. That afternoon some tourists walked in & ask Cordell if he serves food & he said no, no food today, the tourists looked around & saw all the food & people eating & you could tell they were confused, we still laugh about it, no, no food today. The people are probably still shaking their heads over that one.
    Cordell's was the place I dodged today, from the taxi I saw a few friends I expected to be there, having a toast or 10 for Marvin.

The story about the food is still legend here, no food here today. We were having a birthday party for Merle and food was everywhere, those tourists had a look on their face like WTF when Cordell said there was no food, in plain sight there was a feast like they had probably not seen in months. Still makes me laugh. Seriously though, there was none to spare.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Except for a few extra pounds... they could be twinners....Corse, Cookshow has a better hairdo..
    Nose is different, and CookShow has bigger ears . . .

Blog Entries

You are confusing Cookshow with his dog.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

At least the Rednek Cookshoe knows how to raise animals and keep his Toyota Tacoma in good shape...

Miss that truck don't ya?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Today was one of those days that reminds me why I want to be here.

Started the day with a trip to the airport to receive incoming, bought a few vegetables on the way, dropped off a few cases of (empty) bottles, 9am & all was going smooth, even worked in a quick meeting with the man doing my fencing. While making a trip to the beer distributor I stopped in at Cordell's Place across the street for a beer. Cordell has a bar & sometimes serves some food, Marlies once asked me if Cordell had a business there or if was just a private club. That is a pretty close description, Cordell has ice cold beer (the reason i stopped by this morning) & he is as likely to buy the beer as the customers are.

I had talked to Cordell earlier in the day & he had told me that he would be smoking "some" meat today, I had figured as much as Xmas is coming & had put out 2 whole chickens to thaw. My plan for the morning was to buy some beer & drop off the chickens all in one stop. Up until the time I walked into Cordell's the day had been flawless (very rare here) & it was about to get better.

I walked into what can only be described as a vegetarians nightmare. Meat everywhere, I would say over 75lbs, chicken, beef (even a tongue & heart), pork, fish, lobster, conch, & some I could not identify & did not ask. The meat was being parboiled then placed on the smoker. I got there in time for the first of many loads & got my chickens on right away. Since it is the Christmas season we had a few beers & watched the smoker smoke. Cordell soon declared that this would indeed be a long day of smoking & that soon it would be time to stop drinking beer. I decided I better go drop off the truck, rum time was coming. I dropped off the truck grabbed a bottle & some ice to add to the arsenol Cordell had on hand.

Over the course of the next few hours people came & went, meat was loaded & unloaded, samples were tasted, rum was drank, just another Saturday on the Island. You never know what to expect.

When on Corn Island stop by & have a beer, you might get lucky & be there when lobster is being unloaded & get to see the fuel that runs this Island. Cordell's place is located in Barrio North End directly across from the beer distibutor (Payo) the front door opens to the road & the back door opens to the sea, the back porch always has a cool breeze & plenty of shade & you can get no closer to the sea.
    6 years ago today I wrote this posts.

Few hours ago I was in the house and a neighbor was at my gate screaming for me. The neighbor had to repeat what she was saying 4 times before it really registered. Cordell made dead is what she was saying. I quickly bathed off and made my way out to the dead house. Sure enough, Cordell made dead. Cordell Nickolson was a former Mayor of Corn Island and a highly respected citizen. Cordell was one of the first friends I made here on Corn Island. No way to tell much here, looks like probably a stroke or heart attack, Cordell was 71.

Cordell had been up last week when I butchered and bought a large piece of pig, he loved smoking meat and usually this time of year he would be knee deep in it. The 13# chicken I bought yesterday I had every intention of taking to his place and using his smoker to smoke it, have a few drinks and shoot the shit all day while the World passed before by.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

6 years ago today I wrote this posts.

Few hours ago I was in the house and a neighbor was at my gate screaming for me. The neighbor had to repeat what she was saying 4 times before it really registered. Cordell made dead is what she was saying. I quickly bathed off and made my way out to the dead house. Sure enough, Cordell made dead. Cordell Nickolson was a former Mayor of Corn Island and a highly respected citizen. Cordell was one of the first friends I made here on Corn Island. No way to tell much here, looks like probably a stroke or heart attack, Cordell was 71.

Cordell had been up last week when I butchered and bought a large piece of pig, he loved smoking meat and usually this time of year he would be knee deep in it. The 13# chicken I bought yesterday I had every intention of taking to his place and using his smoker to smoke it, have a few drinks and shoot the shit all day while the World passed before by.
    Was Cardell's place the one across from the Beer / Liquor store just down the road from Ike's place?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Was Cardell's place the one across from the Beer / Liquor store just down the road from Ike's place?

yep.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Had to dig out my long pants, have them on the line now, been over 9 months since I had to wear long pants.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Sorry about Cordell my friend...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Sorry about Cordell my friend...

He was a good friend of Alan's. Hell a good friend to everyone. Hate see people like him go. I have to make my way back out around dark to do the whole set-up thing, dreading it.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I don't like a going to a "Set Up" either..

Ain't it a shame when it happens to a good friend?

Blog Entries

I am not a big funeral goer or set-up attender. Clothes are laid out for the funeral, and I have to go up tonight for the set-up. Cordell is a close friend, it is expected that I will be there, made my appearance today and will make a brief one tonight, I hate set-ups.

Time to take a power nap, will be dark in an hour or so.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Body is well iced. Went out to make an appearance at the set-up, maybe 100 people there and I saw many old friends. I will go back in the morning and sit, give the others a break, I cannot do the all night set-up.
    Ernie K Doe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast