Thread: Prinzuawala Blesinka - About to float our boat

Managua/Alamikamba/Walpa Yakalban/Bonanza
    Blog Entries

Default Prinzuawala Blesinka - About to float our boat

Prinzu - Ancient Indian Tribe on the Atlantic Coast of Nicaragua
    Awala (Miskitu) - River

Prinzuawala is the original Indian name for the lower portion of the Rio Prinzapolka.

Blesinka (Miskitu) - Bendition or Blessing

Here's the 40'x9' aluminum barge that I'm getting ready to launch on the Rio Prinzapolka to provide public transport, light-duty cargo, and tourism activities.

The barge is built of 3/16" welded sheet aluminum and powered by twin Toyota 3L diesel engines with marine transmissions.

The barge came to me heavily oxidized with ALL wood and marine plywood severely damaged from rot and termites. While built in 1999 just after Hurricane Mitch to haul supplies on the Rio Coco, it has never seen service. It has, however, been left exposed to the elements for a very long time!

We've stripped off all wood, removed pitting on the hull, polished the aluminum, and are replacing wood with laurel (where it touches water) and mahogany (where it gets looked at).

The internal bulkheads separate a forward cargo section (open with wooden floor), center passenger section (12' covered with mahogany benches and wooden floor), and aft engine/fuel section and raised floor helm.

The aft section will include a half-round 48" overhang beyond the stern which will contain tanks which can be filled with water ballast to counter balance cargo placed in the bow hold. The afterdeck will also house a simple below deck head which will be readily accesible by passengers and crew.

Here's a concept drawing of how I hope it will look when finished:

Aisabe,
    Papatara

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ahh, and she does have Kort Nozzles around the propellers?

Personaly I think that is a plus for your intended purpose...

I think LCT wanted to know if she could be counted on for an emergency beer run to Little Island...You know just in case the others have a little down time...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Active TRN Member

Yes, kort nozzels... a very practical design feature on this craft! Good thinking, Dud; Just weld 'em strong!
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Blog Entries

I don't think that thing would be very happy bucking the waves of the open sea. The sides don't look high enough, either. And aluminum in salt water?

Hey, I'll get a seaplane and fly in your beer, but you'll be paying $10/bottle.

Blog Entries

Default Kort Nozzles?

I don't think so. Moveable nozzles would be quite complex and expensive for us to maintain I think. :shock:

What you see in the drawings are the propeller shrouds and a steel strap that diverts objects below the shroud so they won't get caught in front of the shroud. Steerage is accomplished with moveable rudders placed directly behind the prop stream. :idea:

The original propellers were completely recessed into the tunnels. Unfortunately, the tunnels themselves were not designed to provide adequate water intake. :roll:

Sadly, when the new props were ordered the builder wasn't consulted. He wanted counter-rotating props. The ones that came are not. :cry:

The replacement propellers are much larger. But, they must be lowered further below the waterline in order not to make contact with the tunnel. Therefore, propeller shrouds were installed to protect the screws while not impeding water intake. 8)

Total draft is still very shallow for our intended purpose.

Aisabe,
    Papatara

Blog Entries

That sounds like competitive pricing...I think the Ice Cold Victorias are that on Little Island now...But then again, I HAVE been known to be wrong...or just plain lying..
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kort Nozzles?

Quote Originally Posted by mupitara
    I don't think so. Moveable nozzles would be quite complex and expensive for us to maintain I think. :shock:

What you see in the drawings are the propeller shrouds and a steel strap that diverts objects below the shroud so they won't get caught in front of the shroud. Steerage is accomplished with moveable rudders placed directly behind the prop stream. :idea:

The original propellers were completely recessed into the tunnels. Unfortunately, the tunnels themselves were not designed to provide adequate water intake. :roll:

Sadly, when the new props were ordered the builder wasn't consulted. He wanted counter-rotating props. The ones that came are not. :cry:

The replacement propellers are much larger. But, they must be lowered further below the waterline in order not to make contact with the tunnel. Therefore, propeller shrouds were installed to protect the screws while not impeding water intake. 8)

Total draft is still very shallow for our intended purpose.

Aisabe,
    Papatara
    No Dud, Kort Nozzles, as origionaly designed, are fixed and not movable, just as they are on your vessel. They are for work vessels and not a speed attraction. what they do on a vessel is eliminate/reduce propeller slippage in the water, and gives the vessel about 30% more pull/pushing power with no sugnificent increase in fuel consumption, speed NO..Invented in 1933 by a German, Hans Kort...for the shipping industry..

BTW that was used as a displacement hull, and built to take a big load, it would take a hell of a lot of power to put her on a plane, loaded...Which is perhaps why she was not popular in the other project...

Built for comfort, and payload...NOT for speed...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne
    That sounds like competitive pricing...I think the Ice Cold Victorias are that on Little Island now...But then again, I HAVE been known to be wrong...or just plain lying..
    That's dollars, not Cordobas - if they are ten dollars a bottle, everyone must be going broke there. :shock:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne
    That's dollars, not Cordobas - if they are ten dollars a bottle, everyone must be going broke there. :shock:
    I do get confused sometimes with the ¨Bucks¨and ¨Dollar¨ thing...

15 cords a beer here now, in all of the upscale places....

Blog Entries

Default It's a river barge!

I'd love to get my very first ride in a seaplane. Every design has it purpose and its place, though

I haven't seen any high seas on the Rio Prinzapolka yet! This barge is intended for river traffic only. And, it will serve some of the poorest people in the Americas.

Actually, a deep draft ocean craft on our river is quite inappropriate. In the dry season some of the stretches along the river are less than five feet deep (I've measured them). Deep draft craft also create huge following wakes which can easily capsize the small overloaded paddle-powered dugouts that traffic the entire length of the river.

I do plan to add ten inches of wooden splashguards on the sides above the aluminum in order to reduce spray hitting the passengers on occasions where a strong wind blows right down the river. But, stretches where winds can blow are too short for waves of much size to form.

The seaplane is certainly a gorgeous aircraft! However, our passengers from the Indian communities along the edge of the river will be hardpressed to scrape up ten cordobas for a ride much less ten dollars for a beer. We also want to carry their produce to market. I don't imagine that anyone would pay forty dollars for a watermellon just because it went to market in a seaplane!

We are looking into some sort of cathodic protection for the barge. However, its home port of Alamikangban is a freshwater river site rather than a seawater one.

Aisabe,
    Papatara

Blog Entries

Default Kort Nozzles

Well then, I guess you're right about them being Kort Nozzles. Sounds like the Kort design is just what we need.

I'm really not interested in speed but rather in moving huge payloads as cheaply as possible. As long as it will keep up with a paddleboat I'm OK with it!

Many people won't plant more than they will consume because they can't get their product to market. And if they do, it still has to be cost competitive with everyone else.

At present, Rio Prinzapolka does not have any watercraft with more than about a 50 quintales (5,000 pounds) cargo capacity. I think that the barge can carry about 250 quintales (25,000 pounds). This could significantly increase economic potential along the river!

I'm already contemplating a second "slave" barge for bulk cargo that could be strapped in front of this thing and pushed. That would give us the opportunity to use the brute force of the twin diesel (with Kort nozzles) to move building materials, prefab housing, organic fertilizers, cattle, agricultural products, vehicles, equipment, etc. that cannot readily be carried inside the aluminum barge.

Aisabe,
    Papatara

Blog Entries

Right you are, a river barge is what it is, a polyester, or epoxy coating will adhere to the metal quite well...

I put on mine, plenty of the cathodes on the propeller shafts and rudders...Where the real action is...

If the metal is coated well...It is somewhat insulated...But then again I could be wrong, however, I still have a 40 plus year old beer can, that I placed in service years ago...still working...not for me, but I am still proud of her...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kort Nozzles

Quote Originally Posted by mupitara
    Well then, I guess you're right about them being Kort Nozzles. Sounds like the Kort design is just what we need.

I'm really not interested in speed but rather in moving huge payloads as cheaply as possible. As long as it will keep up with a paddleboat I'm OK with it!

Many people won't plant more than they will consume because they can't get their product to market. And if they do, it still has to be cost competitive with everyone else.

At present, Rio Prinzapolka does not have any watercraft with more than about a 50 quintales (5,000 pounds) cargo capacity. I think that the barge can carry about 250 quintales (25,000 pounds). This could significantly increase economic potential along the river!

I'm already contemplating a second "slave" barge for bulk cargo that could be strapped in front of this thing and pushed. That would give us the opportunity to use the brute force of the twin diesel (with Kort nozzles) to move building materials, prefab housing, organic fertilizers, cattle, agricultural products, vehicles, equipment, etc. that cannot readily be carried inside the aluminum barge.

Aisabe,
    Papatara
    You are with me now buddy, that was one of the things about the different projects I have been involoved with, kinda made me put some distance from... the locals Captains did not have any idea about cost effectiveness, and wanted SPEED....above anything.

And of course, this caused many potentialy effective projects to go belly up, much to the disatavantage of the intended communities...

This river barge was purpose built, and with the proper frame of mind, WILL work for the area...

With a potential of moving 10 times or more, of product to market....Well...I think You have made a good move..If I can help...I want to..

Blog Entries

Default Polyester or Epoxy coatings

On fellow in the boater supply store mentioned to me that he used a coal tar epoxy over aluminum to provide cathodic protection. I don't know if that material is available in Nicaragua. Also, don't know about $$$

What about simply applying a polyester gelcoat over the aluminum? And, gelcoat can be dyed to desired color. I assume that gelcoat would provide good abrasive resistance. Would gelcoat adhere OK?

Blog Entries

A man of my own frame of mind..Just put something on it that will stick, cathodes on the prop shaft and rudder, and put her to work...

Dam right the gelcoat will stick, I promise....

Blog Entries

Alodine etching followed by a good enamel like DuPont Imron or automotive paint (which Imron is the same formula) works for aircraft aluminum. But on a boat it will get scratched too much.

Blog Entries

Years ago I painted an old VW van with the imron stuff and a scratch was supposed to heal itself...

But it did look good, and I did not like the van so much, in a corn field it would stick rite on top of the ground..Making me late getting her home sometimes..