Thread: Managua - Airport area hotel?

Default Managua - Airport area hotel?

I'm sure this question has come up before, but I couldn't find it with a search. Sorry if it's a repeat.

Any suggestions for an airport vicinity hotel for the night we arrive and the night before our departure from MGA ?

Any places to avoid?

We'll be renting a car to drive to Iguana Beach so I was going to go with Holiday Inn select since there's a Budget office onsite. Any experience with this hotel?

This will be for April and we're open to suggestions.

Muchas gracias

Holiday Inn is a nice place, however if you just want to get off the plane and relax, maybe a better option is the Best Western Las Mercedes Hotel, across the street from the Airport.

On occasion they have some very reasonable prices.

Blog Entries

Nothing is closer than the Best Western. Good facilities for relaxing, too.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-4727...las_mercedes-i

I stayed there a few years ago for $40, a special rate they gave me during the slow months on a Monday evening. Everyonce in a while they have some cheap rooms like that.

The beds are very comfortable and the hotel was spacious, at the time they had the 2 pools, I heard there was some expansion?

Only thing that pissed me off was that my wife had to meet me at the hotel late that particular evening, so I told the staff that she would be around late and needed to be let in. The front desk stopped her and insisted on calling me first, even though I had given them directions to let her in. I think they thought she was a call girl or something. I had to wake up my daughter and walk up to the front in order for them to let her pass.

Default i vote

Quote Originally Posted by 3 frijoles
    Holiday Inn is a nice place, however if you just want to get off the plane and relax, maybe a better option is the Best Western Las Mercedes Hotel, across the street from the Airport.

On occasion they have some very reasonable prices.
    for best western also.
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Active TRN Member

The BW Las Mercedes is a no-brainer; conveniently located to the airport, reasonably priced and good service.

Also consider Hotel Europeo, which at one time, offered the best car/hotel package deals around.

http://www.hoteleuropeo.com.ni/
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Camino Real isn't far off track either, just a bit higher price.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3 frijoles
    Camino Real isn't far off track either, just a bit higher price.
    I tend to judge a place by the quality of the food, Don´t ask me why..But the Camino Real, knocked my socks off with the food served there...I splurged...at the time...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

I have stayed at Las Mercedes dozens of times & it is by far the most convienent option especially if you have early or late flights. The hotel is right across the street from the airport easy to walk or they have a shuttle if you have too much luggage. They have a really nice breakfast buffet (eggs & omelets to order) that is included in the rate. Really nice pools to relax in too.

You can find cheaper options but none more convienent.

Almost all the big name hotels have car rental options. The Seminole & Hilton are in the same price range as the Holiday Inn (& sometimes you can get a great deal), they are in a great location with several bars & eateries in easy walking (or stumbling) distance.

We've just returned and chose the Holiday Inn Select in Managua for the first and last nights of the trip. Their Hotel Shuttle van was on the spot to pick us up and return us to the airport so no juggling bags and surfboards when we arrived (which was a first)! It was much easier getting the rental car at the hotel rather than at the hectic terminal.

Clean rooms and facility and very good service. A complmentary drink for both of us each night and the restaurant onsite was very good and reasonably priced. (I had the most delicious smoked turkey with a citrus/mango sauce that knocked my socks off and their salad bar alone would have been a complete meal- $12.00 for the dinner).

We paid $102/night for the room (the Mercedes rate for the same nights was $92.) It was an effortless way to start and end the trip and we'll stay there again.

Default ninety two? for the bw?

Quote Originally Posted by oladulce View Post
    We've just returned and chose the Holiday Inn Select in Managua for the first and last nights of the trip. Their Hotel Shuttle van was on the spot to pick us up and return us to the airport so no juggling bags and surfboards when we arrived (which was a first)! It was much easier getting the rental car at the hotel rather than at the hectic terminal.

Clean rooms and facility and very good service. A complmentary drink for both of us each night and the restaurant onsite was very good and reasonably priced. (I had the most delicious smoked turkey with a citrus/mango sauce that knocked my socks off and their salad bar alone would have been a complete meal- $12.00 for the dinner).

We paid $102/night for the room (the Mercedes rate for the same nights was $92.) It was an effortless way to start and end the trip and we'll stay there again.
    anyone do any better at bw?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    anyone do any better at bw?
    They had the salad bar....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Default better than 92?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    They had the salad bar....
    better than 92?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    better than 92?
    Hey he did not say if it was a threesome, a couplesome, or a sixsome....

I mean after all he is a surfer.....

ooops, my bad, I reread and he did say BOTH of us.....sorry

i've stayed at holiday inn probably ten times in the past two years. the only complaint i've had was during one stay the property to the immediate east (left as you face the hotel) was doing some earth flattening, so i was awakened every morning to mild earthquake like vibrations. a bit disconcerting at first... other than that, a great hotel for the money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TermnalVee View Post
    i've stayed at holiday inn probably ten times in the past two years. the only complaint i've had was during one stay the property to the immediate east (left as you face the hotel) was doing some earth flattening, so i was awakened every morning to mild earthquake like vibrations. a bit disconcerting at first... other than that, a great hotel for the money.
    Hey, the food ain´t bad there...THAT is how I rate a place....

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Hey, the food ain´t bad there...THAT is how I rate a place....

actually JPJW, you are correct. rthe food was quite good. i especially enjoy the breakfast, which while waaaayyyyy overpriced, at $12.00 US, was good. Good nacatamales.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TermnalVee View Post
    actually JPJW, you are correct. rthe food was quite good. i especially enjoy the breakfast, which while waaaayyyyy overpriced, at $12.00 US, was good. Good nacatamales.

Wait a minute here, I remember haveing a $10.00 beer in Miami 20 years ago.....

It´s kinda of a trap, but for the convienence, hard to beat, but for most like myself just passing thru, it is only a one nighter....

I don´t think right now LCT has to worry about the transportation strike unless the airports are taken over, which I feel unlikely....

damn! 10 bucks 20 years ago??? even in the admiral's club they are not that expensive today! but head over to south beach...