Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corn Island Gardens - Season Two

Blog Entries

Default Corn Island Gardens - Season Two

Last year we started the gardens in March, this year I am hoping to be fully planted by early February. I pulled the first Zuchinni this morning, we still have 3 tomato plants producing, 4 original eggplant producing, everything else is new plantings. so far I have yellow & white squash, zuchinni, canteloupe, watermelon, some local squash, black-eyed peas, lima beans, cucumbers, okra, sunflowers, some herbs, radishes, bok choy, & leaf lettuce, soon to put out some peppers I have growing, I have over 40 tomato plants out (some already with tomatoes on) & will have around 60 soon. I am going to pack the gardens with plants this year & I hope that by March we will be seeing more fruits of our labor.

I have always loved to garden but here it is even more rewarding, I am growing things that are not available here, things I want to eat, things I can share with my friends.

My little finca will bring this gardening hobby to a new level. I am going to make cheese, sausage, pickles, do some canning, build a brick oven, have a smoke house & all kinds of stuff. I will be busy as hell for years to come.

Blog Entries

Default Living the dream sounds

like a great thing to do. Congratulations Kevin.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, I think he´s gonna need a little help eatin´all that stuff
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

My next visit to the islands, I will be finding you house with my nose!

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

My little finca will bring this gardening hobby to a new level. I am going to make cheese, sausage, pickles, do some canning, build a brick oven, have a smoke house & all kinds of stuff. I will be busy as hell for years to come.
    That's what it's all about Kevin. Life's for living, not workin' to pay taxes. Sounds alot like you'll be homesteading over there. I especially love the year round growing season in Nicaragua. Gives me plenty of time to figure out what I'm doing.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

Our main gardens are right on the ocean & get the full strength of the November storms, I think on my land I should be able to grow year round, I am a 3 minute walk from the ocean, but well protected. I have been keeping detailed notes on the growth of the plants & have plenty of experimenting to do to figure things out.

Blog Entries

Getting some much needed rain here this morning. It is amazing how fast the ground here dries out after months of rain. I had been hand watering nearly 50 tomato plants so this is a welcome relief. I have been out in the rain this morning fertilizing & planting some seedlings. Next week my war on ants begins, I would like to say it will be handled organically, but I have given up on that & I am not sure anything short of nuclear war will bring down my enemy the ant. This island must have more ants per capita than anyplace in the world, I have never seen anything like this & I come from fire ant country.

Not sure if you can get it over there or even if you can import it as technically it is poison. Nonetheless, bar nothing in the world, Termidor is the stuff. I'm talking near nuclear! It was designed for termites but works for everything including roaches and palmetto bugs. Here in sunny humid south Florida, every damn bug in the world proliferates. 3 years ago, I hired a new exterminator who treats my property--no BS--once a year. I have no ants or bugs of any type!

Blog Entries

The gardens are doing well. Almost 1/2 of my 5 dz tomato plants have tomatoes on. Been harvesting okra, cucumbers, eggplant, bok choy, & squash already. Another month & the garden should be really pretty. We have been getting some light showers almost every night & that has really helped. I am still planting everyday & trying to get the gardens in working order, I think we are going to have a great season this year.

Blog Entries

How's the Ant War coming along?

Blog Entries

I think I may have the ants under control. I can't claim to be organic now, but at least I am not getting bit every morning.

Sometimes in war things happen we're not proud of, but it's WAR
    You have to do what ever it takes, those little buggers would kill you
    if they could...... nuke 'em

And thanks for sharing your gardening adventures along with your other posts, I can't wait to get back and get started on my own.
    tree hugging, dirt worshiping, Birkenstock wearing, Bill of Rights supporting, enemy of censorship

Blog Entries

Tomatoes are coming strong, picking a few pounds a day. Big trouble with my squash,pumkin, & cucumbers. The plants go great & will produce a few fruit then they go to hell & dry up, I have found several ideas in my books & online but my problem seems to be something else. My sweet corn is great & when we start to get a little rain I will plant a load more. Have more eggplant started & some okra that could use a rainstorm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Hey one of our members is moving down this summer and wanted to know the info on shipping things by ship to the DAC which I will post...Soon...

Me and my neighbor want to get him to bring a tiller at the same time Cookshow....

I will get on this right away....

As LCT says.... This is a whole nother pace....

Oh BTW nice maters, ya´had any fried green yet?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Here is another of Cookshow's veggies
    Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries
    to rich people in poor countries.

Blog Entries

Well lets see if I got it down....

This is supposed to be some of Cookshows watermelons, that he sent me the seeds late last year....My kids have eaten at least 100 of them, well maybe not quite that many but a bunch, and still we have ém coming along....

And the writing under the picture?

Blog Entries

These are a strain of local stringbean, that are the running type, they produce about 4 to 6 beans per hill a day (per plant)....

And also some cherry maters from seeds Cookshow sent, stuff is so easy to grow here, only thing is when it gets ¨dry Time¨ya have to keep watering it and so I have also scraped the grass that grows about knee high and put it all around the plants for moisture and weed control...

I am going to get this Blame picture thing down yet.... Now to write underneath and continue, or am I asking the impossable?

I can't wait to have a lot that has enough room for a garden, our home in Managua is just way to small.

Blog Entries

Will it be an electric garden, like the roof?

Blog Entries

Those cherry tomatoes grow like wild here, I am getting a few pounds a day, my big tomatoes are just starting to ripen. Those cherry tomatoes sell for 29 cord a pound in the supermarkets in MGA & are imported from CR. I saw yellow crookneck squash (small) for 9 cord each in one of the supers. Are those string beans, but the beans look like Black-Eyed peas, we have those here & they grow well. My Black-Eyed Peas are doing well (need more) & my Lima Beans are starting to look good. My okra needs some rain (it is dry as a bone here), I envy you John you have your own watering crew. My garden still has lots of room but until we get a bit of rain I am hesitant to put much out. We had a little luck with watermelon & canteloupe last year, but this year we are having hell. I have had several nice sunflowers & everybody that stops by remarks about them. We still have at least one or 2 people a week who come to see the garden.

Default i

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Sometimes in war things happen we're not proud of, but it's WAR
    You have to do what ever it takes, those little buggers would kill you
    if they could...... nuke 'em

And thanks for sharing your gardening adventures along with your other posts, I can't wait to get back and get started on my own.
    i like the way you think. one should only go to war bc your enemy is so dangerous, that if you have to you will nuke them. that is the only time someone should go to war. ants are such a reason....they will not let you live free. they will send in suicide ants on a suicide mission...oh well, nuke 'em!
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Will it be an electric garden, like the roof?
    I hope not.

Blog Entries

Default Stealing??

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Those cherry tomatoes grow like wild here, I am getting a few pounds a day, my big tomatoes are just starting to ripen. Those cherry tomatoes sell for 29 cord a pound in the supermarkets in MGA & are imported from CR. I saw yellow crookneck squash (small) for 9 cord each in one of the supers. Are those string beans, but the beans look like Black-Eyed peas, we have those here & they grow well. My Black-Eyed Peas are doing well (need more) & my Lima Beans are starting to look good. My okra needs some rain (it is dry as a bone here), I envy you John you have your own watering crew. My garden still has lots of room but until we get a bit of rain I am hesitant to put much out. We had a little luck with watermelon & canteloupe last year, but this year we are having hell. I have had several nice sunflowers & everybody that stops by remarks about them. We still have at least one or 2 people a week who come to see the garden.
    Kevin, are you having much of a problem with theivery?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Not in the gardens (knock on wood), but on the finca they are destroying the place 800 plantain & not a single ripe (or even close) bunch on the place, they dug up most of the cassava, which is fine it was too old & tough, but could have been fed to a hog. They are stealing my mangoes & the big problem coming is the avocadoes that are getting closer to being ripe & it looks like this tree is bearing much sooner than most on the Island so it wil be a prime target in another month.

Nothing that I didn't expect but it is still depressing to see unripe plantain cut on a daily basis, things will get a little better when I get moved up there & get a workman living up there, but it is going to be an uphill battle to say the least. The laws here are designed to protect the criminal & not property owners, sad to say but you are pretty much on your own.

Blog Entries

Start a rumor there's venomous snakes on the property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast