Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corn Island Finca Progress

Blog Entries

Default Corn Island Finca Progress

Here is a picture of the place back in December and a picture from yesterday. Slowly making some progress, as soon as the 2nd well is complete we will start clearing a building site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRN Member

Hey - Did that fellow who was going to swim from Little island to the Big island do the swim?
    Never leave fun, to look for fun

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

I love before and after photos! Does the heart good to see just how much progress you've made, especially when you start thinking about how much money and time are involved. Keep up the good work!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

The guy never made the swim the weather never cooperated, just too choppy.

Thanks for the kind words. Every day I look at the place & wonder what I have gotten myself into. Yesterday I never made it to the property (only a 3 minute walk), I spent the day staking my tomatoes (5 dz or so) & working in the gardens. I am planning to have several hundred tomato plants on my finca & cannot imagine how much time it will take to mantain them.

Yesterday it looked like rain all day & I need it, but nothing came, only a small sprinkle after dark. this morning I will start the watering & pray for a bit of rain. I will have lots of irrigation on my place so at least the watering of the plants should be easy.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yea it is starting to dry up a bit here too.

but still the water table is pretty high up according to my waterhole, Hell I guess I can call it a well it does have a top and cover on it....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Here is a picture of my building site. The big stump is on the highest point of the property & of course right where I want to build my house we are slowly chipping away at it, the rocks will soon be headed to the crusher & will be used for my road.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Here is a picture of my building site. The big stump is on the highest point of the property & of course right where I want to build my house we are slowly chipping away at it, the rocks will soon be headed to the crusher & will be used for my road.
    What is with you guy´s, has there been a new order on TRN about putting these small pictures on here?

The picture thing is one of the things that really turned me on about surfing here and running my Big Mouth...

OKI am not going to....But I think it is about time you gave us an update...What is this crusher business, when you and I both know we are having a hell of a time even getting hold of a freakin´garden tiller...Are you bragging? or what?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Hey, JW, click on the picture and see what happens!

Blog Entries

Boy that picture thing had me baffled too, thanks John.

LFJW, the tiller may be a lost cause unless getting it from the states. I thought I had it done when I found the Craftsman place, but so far they have been nothing but a waste of time, I am sure they can get one, you just have to make them want to get one & so far I have been unable to do that.

Sinsa sells Poulan products & Poulan has a decent looking tiller.

http://www.poulanpro.com/poulanpro/v...erModelID=null

Not exactly what I want, but I would take it if I could get it, I did not get a chance to talk to them about ordering one but will this week.

Oh the rock crusher, a friend bought one & it is going to be close to my place, it only takes small rock so we will have to break some to make them fit, but it is close & I have plenty of rock, I am excited, I will have a beautiful black volcanic stone road into my property & will probably use it for walkways aroubd the property.

Troybilt..........the best in tillers from my experience........they ship
    mitch

Blog Entries

They ship, but it will go straight to customs, by the time you pay the shipping & customs fees the costs would be insane.

Blog Entries

OK, I needed that little info about the pictures, cuz I am not smart enough to figgure it out alone.

But Cookshow, Bringing something like that down on the ship is not all that hard.

Small things it is true that they sometimes don´t find their distination, but a tiller in a box, no big deal, I have shipping instructions around here somewhere, I will look, and post ém. and the import tax should not be over 30 some % of the invoiced bill.

I am sure what you are doing would qualify for an exoneration of the import taxes, just having the right people do the paperwork would do that...But I will find out more and get back to this thread.

Super Meditator

And I thought you were having a computer problem. It would have been great to go all the way to the DAC only to find out that the problem was between the keyboard and the chair . I need some type of excuse to get over there
    "Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance." - Albert Einstein. - Politics may not be the oldest profession but the results are the same.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seybonazo View Post
    And I thought you were having a computer problem. It would have been great to go all the way to the DAC only to find out that the problem was between the keyboard and the chair . I need some type of excuse to get over there

No, Thom worked out my computer problems while he was here on the DAC, but the short curcuit between the keyboard and the chair remains when I am sitting in it...

BTW you do not need an excuse to come to the DAC...Just need to be a little Brain Dead...

black volcanic stone road into my property & will probably use it for walkways aroubd the property.
    Be aware that scorpions LOVE that volcanic rock! Got bit more than once in Mga and had to redo the front walk out of sheer frustration when I couldn't get rid of the things.

Blog Entries

Things are still moving forward (slowly). Been doing some more clearing & brush & stump burning, the place is starting to look pretty good. The men should be done clearing & burning in the next few days then they will start working on my road, building up some low spots & smoothing it up for gravel to be laid on. We will use the dirt & rock from the well digging for the road fill. The first picture is the back acre, the second is what the rest of the property looks like.

Blog Entries

I will have to get a pic & post this week, my place is looking really nice. Last week my worman & I had a falling out, he had decided that I must not need the barbed wire that runs through the center of the property (I plan to build a trellis on it for cucumbers), so he took it or as he claims someone snuck in & stole it (in broad daylight while he was less than 50 yards away working). any way I went nuts & he starts trying some way to get the blame off himself, so he tells me that one of my neighbors took it, I knew this was unlikely because that neighbor could easily pick up several hundred feet of wire that I have lying to the fenceline & have not gotten too yet. So I march my workman to the property go to the neighbor & ask him if he took some wire the day before, he answered no, & told him my workman called him a thief & says he took my wire. KA BOOM the nieighbor nearly assed my workman (which is what I had in mind going up there). Then the workman decides the neighbor on the other side stole it, well I did the same over there (except he admitted to having some of the wire) that neighbor told me someone told him he could have it, I told him that I was the only "someone" & that the wire better be back up within 24hrs or "someone" might tell me it is ok to start taking zinc off his house, being a reasonable man the wire was back up the next day.

Anyway I paid the workman up today & he asked when we were going to start the other projects, I told him that I had better think about it awhile, because I don't like paying someone who only causes problems, as always he swears no more problems, I will let him sit a few weeks & use some other workers in the meantime. The thing is this guy is making a small fortune off me, but he is just not able to stay tranquilo.

sounds like a comic strip could be drawn up for this! actually that would be interesting if more people could draw, a comic strip for all of the fun situations that happen in Nicaragua.

Blog Entries

It is more like a sad movie than comic strip, but looking back it was really funny, the neighbor that almost assed the workman is loud & all the neighbors came out to see what was going on. Crazy Gringo

The funniest part is the day he almost got assed I walk off & left him standing there with the neighbor that had some of the wire, he was scared to come & talk to me & wanted some pay (I had went up that morning to give him some money), so he was trying to talk to my amiga/interpreter that lives next to the place, she told him that I was crazy with anger & right now he better concentrate on the wire & finishing the job he was working on. He came by my place (where I stay) on Saturday to look pay & my friend here told him the same (I was in MGA), well he did an awesome job of clearing, in less than a week he did a few weeks work (really well). Maybe I just need to go around mad as hell, seems to work really well.

Blog Entries

Maybe I just need to go around mad as hell, seems to work really well.
    Aww hell, just pack a (visible) 38 revolver.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

We have found that playing the anger card occasionally works wonders! Brings to mind a time when Roger "went off" in the Nandaime police station. The cops and lawyers and our interpreter all ducked their heads and started looking for cover.
    Sure wish I could draw, a comic strip is really needed here!

Blog Entries

I will have to get a pic & post this week, my place is looking really nice.

Last week my woman & I had a falling out, she had decided that I must not need the barbed wire that runs through the center of the property (I plan to build a trellis on it for cucumbers), so she took it or as she claims someone snuck in & stole it (in broad daylight while she was less than 50 yards away working).

any way I went nuts & she starts trying some way to get the blame off herself, so she tells me that one of my neighbors took it.

I knew this was unlikely because that neighbor could easily pick up several hundred feet of wire that I have lying to the fenceline & have not gotten too yet.

So I march my woman to the property, go to the neighbor & ask him if he took some wire the day before, he answered no, & told him my woman called him a thief & says he took my wire.

KA BOOM the nieighbor nearly assed my woman (which is what I had in mind in the first place).

Then the woman decides the neighbor on the other side stole it, well I did the same over there (except he admitted to having some of the wire) that neighbor told me someone told him he could have it.

I told him that I was the only "someone" & that the wire better be back up within 24hrs or "someone" might tell me it is ok to start taking zinc off his house, being a reasonable man the wire was back up the next day.

Anyway I paid the woman up till today & she asked when we were going to start the other projects.

I told her that I had to think about it awhile, because I don't like paying someone who only causes problems, as always she swears, no more problems.

I will let her sit a few weeks & use some other woman in the meantime.

The thing is this girl is making a small fortune off me, but she is just not able to stay tranquilo.

Cookshow, I had to edit is a little........That worman thing made me do it...

Blog Entries

That's a good one, guess I should have checked my spelling.

Blog Entries

That's a good one, guess I should have checked my spelling.
    Now I am one that really has to use spel check.....But something just hit me about the typo.....

Blog Entries

Plowing of the back acre started on Monday, 3 guys are plowing it with picks, they are doing a great job & should finish up on Monday.

Here are some pics from this morning.

1)plowed field 2)avocado 3)sweet pepper tree 4)mangos 5)banana

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast