Thread: What can make my day?

Default What can make my day?

When I first moved here, I had a bit of that east coast, inner city attitude. I used to get upset at the window washers. One in particular is located on C. Masaya, on the intersection of Alke, La Union, La Princessa Hotel and that new Obando highway. Someone told me his name is Lester. You would know him if you're a regular. He has crazy hair, usually is shirtless, looks drugged up and possibly crazy.

So, anyway, I used to yell at this guy to get away from my car. One day he put up my window washers and left them that way, and I was really pissed. We had a relationship like this for quite some time. Then he got his hair cut and I don't know why I said it, but I actually told him it looked good. Ever since then, we're friends, as much as we can be at an intersection.

Another time, I was in a bad mood and told a window washer to leave me alone because I had no money and was looking for a job. The following week he asked me if I found my job. Somehow he remembered me and my attitude, but was still nice.

So why would anyone care about my story? Because I learned, a bit late in life, that it's better to be nice. I was so used to the aggressiveness of my old city, that I brought it with me into my new city. I enjoy life so much better when I joke around or say a nice word, than thinking that someone is trying to get over on me.

Managua is a small city and people get to know you, including the folks on the corners.

It makes my day when I have nice interactions with people...even the crazy, drugged up window washers.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked your story, window washers, shoe shine boys, newspaper sellers, they all have their place and we need to patronize when we can...It beats the hell out of stealing...

As LCT says...It is a whole nother pace here...And I for one like it...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

It would be kind of neat to see a Contest for the most well known window washer in Managua. My favorite is the old lady that is almost always at the intersection between the road next to huembes mercado "1 de mayo" intersecting with the road heading over to metro centro. Family of mine has said that she has been there since the late 80's.

Active TRN Member

Default You're right, Lisa!

The pulperia next door to our place in Corn Island had a young man who would "cat call" and whistle and constantly "hit on me" when I walked by, even if I was with my husband. I would respond with evil looks and remarks, clearly annoyed but to no avail. This seemed to encourage his behavior. One day, I decided to whistle first and give him a bit of his own medicine ... he immediately blushed and his buddies began picking on him, making him uncomfortable. From that day forward, things changed. I now jokingly referr to him as "mi novio" and he is very polite and courteous to me.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Blog Entries

I walked past the park in Esteli, and a shoe shine guy called out to me asking if I wanted a shoe shine, which usually annoys me as the shoes I normally wear aren't the shining kind. I said no thank you. He said, "when?" I replied, "Mañana," knowing of course it meant, "not today." He was fine with that.

Blog Entries

How dare you come to Nicaragua wearing shoes that cannot be shined.. or even cleaned, bring some 409 or something like that to pass on to these young entreprenures....

Hey, I shined shoes as a kid, and one of the most productive things I learned from my dad, was this...Sir, can I shime your shoes....No, they don´t need it....Sir, I am just learning, can I do them anyway, for free?....

What SOB in the world is going to turn this down?????

Experiance told me not many....Even if I did sometimes clean up a pair of sneakers.....I rendered a service and most of the time was paid.....

God what good memories this brings back, Thanks ya´ll for opening this window into the past....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Smile Inner Change!

So why would anyone care about my story? Because I learned, a bit late in life, that it's better to be nice. I was so used to the aggressiveness of my old city, that I brought it with me into my new city. I enjoy life so much better when I joke around or say a nice word, than thinking that someone is trying to get over on me.

Managua is a small city and people get to know you, including the folks on the corners.

Big cities usually get the best of you, sometimes you forget to just be yourself, you forget that once parents taught you to be polite and say hi to people. Believe me I feel you! I live in MIAMI where is crowded and people are extremely rude they do not even say good morning, but that is why I love going to Nicaragua , it is like a little town where a lot people know your name and salute you.
    P.S don't let your anger get the best of you...
    Dios es Amor!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Greco View Post

Big cities usually get the best of you, sometimes you forget to just be yourself, you forget that once parents taught you to be polite and say hi to people. Believe me I feel you! I live in MIAMI where is crowded and people are extremely rude they do not even say good morning, but that is why I love going to Nicaragua , it is like a little town where a lot people know your name and salute you.
    P.S don't let your anger get the best of you...
    OK I agree with you, big lights, big cities, ....How did you go bankrupt, Well it was slowly and first... Then all of a sudden,...Peruvian marching powder....

That's a good one Peruvian marching powder! Miamians call it perico
    Dios es Amor!