Thread: In Memory

Blog Entries

Default In Memory

This post is to remember our cyber friends who have passed on. Listed are those who have been members of this or the other site, or known to us.

Alan "Miskito Alan" Bowie
    John Martin
    Robert "Huehuete Bob" Cefalu
    Ken Kinzel
    Tony X. "The Sage of Jinotega" Robins

(Is anyone missing?)

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

[quote=John;21831]This post is to remember our cyber friends who have passed on. Listed are those who have been members of this or the other site, or known to us.

Alan "Miskito Alan" Bowie
    John Martin
    Robert "Huehuete Bob" Cefalu
    Ken Kinzel
    Tony X. "The Sage of Jinotega" Robins
    Mr. Marvin Wright ¨Govonor Corn Island¨
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Roger's younger brother died this week and he wrote this for his sisters (who miss their big brother something fierce). I thought it would be good to add it here in memory of Miskito Alan, John Martin and our other friends.

STRENGTH

It is a sad and scary time
    As friends and family pass away.
    We can't know when our time will end
    Our clocks are ticking every day.

We're all just orphans here on earth
    Passing through a hostile land.
    No one's assigned to kiss our hurts
    Nor stand about to hold our hand.

But we have chosen to be great
    To do the things that others can't.
    To be the ones that folks admire
    Or else the ones at whom they rant.

We'll live each day as if there were
    A million more for us to live.
    And we will help each other smile
    By giving what we have to give.

Miss ya, Alan. Hope you're lookin' down on us, and smiling!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Roger's younger brother died this week and he wrote this for his sisters (who miss their big brother something fierce). I thought it would be good to add it here in memory of Miskito Alan, John Martin and our other friends.

STRENGTH

It is a sad and scary time
    As friends and family pass away.
    We can't know when our time will end
    Our clocks are ticking every day.

We're all just orphans here on earth
    Passing through a hostile land.
    No one's assigned to kiss our hurts
    Nor stand about to hold our hand.

But we have chosen to be great
    To do the things that others can't.
    To be the ones that folks admire
    Or else the ones at whom they rant.

We'll live each day as if there were
    A million more for us to live.
    And we will help each other smile
    By giving what we have to give.

Miss ya, Alan. Hope you're lookin' down on us, and smiling!
    Some do´t even know how touching this prose is...See ya on the other side Hombre....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Default Re: In Memory

Giacomo Fiorino and his girlfriend were found dead in Managua. Murdered, apparently.

https://nuevaya.com.ni/italiano-es-e...os-en-managua/

Such a shame. some of these poor young men can be truly heartless at times. I remember years ago being stabbed by a "stab first ask questions later" type individual. He was young and didn't have the education to understand what he was doing.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Education is the magic buzzword word, but maybe it was a lack of IQ and character, maybe with a dash of family abuse and substance abuse?

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

The same can be said for the victims.

Yes it was their property and they were free to defend their property (by sleeping in proximity to their property as the article aludes to) but is it _really_ worth it...

If they were to be sleeping at home and these punks were truely uneducated thugs then nothing would happened other than some inventory walking away - If they were not uneducated thugs and there was more to this that a simple theft - Well the outcome would have been no different and we would be reading about a home invasion.

I am assuming he was a Nicaliving regular?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

So your solution is don't have property in Nicaragua? Or let people steal it until you have nothing? Mad dogs need to be hunted down and removed from society.

There is no such thing as an uneducated thug or an educated thug. Thugs are thugs. If anything, educated thugs are more dangerous.

Education only works for willing intelligent people. For the rest it is, at best, just another government handout. When I worked in training and development it had been known in the industry for decades that "80% of training does not lead to a change in workplace behavior".Some times bad training, but more often the wrong people being trained for the wrong thing at the wrong time thanks to bad decisions by management or silly laws.

We had some guests from Managua this weekend. They were quite upset that a neighbor had been victim of a house cleaning in their gated community. People work hard and pay through the nose for a little security and it is about a lot more than "stuff", it is about dignity and quality of life. The cops are investigating the gate guard but that may be a set up by one of the neighbors. Only good news is now they are going to pay for a camera to watch the guards!

Blog Entries

As for Guards, we have a saying on the Coast, "who is watching the watchman".....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

If you are dead your property is of no use to you.

But these people died doing what they wanted in the place they wanted to be - Hopefully.

I guess missing from this list are ...

Doniston
    Dr D
    Pat Werner
    Gaston

Others??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    As for Guards, we have a saying on the Coast, "who is watching the watchman".....
    Kevin is bang on...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    If you are dead your property is of no use to you.

Might need to work on that pitch a bit. Come one come all, invest, start a family, Get Murdered, Then if you are dead your property is of no use to you. Not sure many expats would jump on that.....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

One of my introductions to Nicaragua was in 2006 or so, I helped a sewing plant that was opening back then by getting them like 100 sticks of Flex Power Feed rail, this is a four pole electrical deal that you can wire up a plug and plug machines/equipment into and have the stuff basically be mobile as long as it reaches the lines.

Well the guy running the plant was a "Nicaraguan Expert" as he and his family were basically on the Spanish Mayflower or whatever it was that landed in Nicaragua (I embellish, but you get the gist). I got him this feed rail, cost was about $5000K or so, real good price back then. I got it shipped down via some connections and such. When he got it, and of course let me interject that he took 8 weeks to pay me, I told him to leave it palletized and crated, it was nice and shrink wrapped and cinched up.

Of course he was not going to do that, he was going to inspect and verify that all feedrails were as I said and in working order. I told him that he was better off not getting them loose until he needed them, as those rails tended to get damaged or walk off or whatever. He told me that he had secure controls in his plant and that all would certainly be in order and he needed to verify the rails. "Ok" I said, "whatever".

About 2 months later as he was trying to open up he comes over and is hung dog sad and asks me if I can get him some more FlexPower. I was like WTF? I just got you a whole bunch. Well apparently in 2 months the Night CPF got the copper internal rails out of the rails and wrapped them around his arm and legs and took them and sold them as scrap. The only thing left was the outside shell of the feed rail. I couldn't help but laugh.

That leads into my favorite all time saying that somehow, probably due to the company I have kept in my life (immature and suspect at best), I first heard in Nicaragua:

"El Diablo sabe mas por viejo, que por Diablo"

Poor Italian dude, I feel for him. Nicaragua, maybe a little more so than most LatAm countries, is full of stupid ass, ill thinking kids, with low IQ's and piss poor education.

Blog Entries

Yeah murder/robbery is the ultimate "North-South transfer of wealth"!
    Nice to see it in a clear everyday perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Might need to work on that pitch a bit. Come one come all, invest, start a family, Get Murdered, Then if you are dead your property is of no use to you. Not sure many expats would jump on that.....

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    The same can be said for the victims.

Yes it was their property and they were free to defend their property (by sleeping in proximity to their property as the article aludes to) but is it _really_ worth it...

If they were to be sleeping at home and these punks were truely uneducated thugs then nothing would happened other than some inventory walking away - If they were not uneducated thugs and there was more to this that a simple theft - Well the outcome would have been no different and we would be reading about a home invasion.

I am assuming he was a Nicaliving regular?

La Prensa is reporting that it was the night watchman and his BIL who did the deed.

A combination of stabbing and strangulation.

The solution ?
    A better quality of guaro, that stuff sold in Nicaragua in the pint bottles for $1 would drive anybody crazy.

Blog Entries

Furriners in the north have big dogs and guns and sleep with 1 eye open.

Oh. One other online pal not with us anymore. "Che Guevara" on NL who coined the famous "and still they keep coming".

By the way, my wife came home one night a couple weeks ago from her jazzercise class after dark. When she turned the corner she routinely put on the high beams to negotiate the potholes and spooked 2 muchachos on a moto who ran like a bat out of hell. As she passed the spot where they had been she saw a truck with a man with an rifle. She made it home but watched the whole way to see she was not being followed.

Never liked gyms, they seem so sweaty and unhealthy.
    Last edited by el duende grande; 12-10-2019 at 05:15 PM.