Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finca Progress and Medicinal Experiments...

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Finca Progress and Medicinal Experiments...

I found the unglazed, clay tiles I want for my outdoor kitchen in Managua for only 5.5 cords each. Roger'll do a bit of comparison shopping to see if they're cheaper 'round Nandaime as, at 11 lbs a piece, they're not something we can easily haul from Managua in Big Red. I intend to lay the floor diagonally and these tiles shold come out looking incredible with the tile roof and white columns!

The economy's bad and folks are out of work, but damned if we can find a man in Nandaime who wants to put our rooves on. While the workers keep looking for one, Roger has begun the task himself. When one of the workers was told that he'd be a carpenter's helper, he responded with "bonita". I think he was trying to say "Cool!" After two days of work, with Roger suffering from dengue, lots of progress was made on the finca.

First, the health issue, Roger had a 102 temperature and what the old books call "bone-break fever" for two days before I started treating him. He's an ornery fella and would rather suffer than admit he's in pain. Unfortunately, this delays the diagnostic process. When he dragged himself home on Friday, a 1 oz shot of cola de alacron for pain, a cup of cashew leaf tea, and a tablespoon of tumeric got him feeling better, that and some of my homemade chicken soup, of course.

Cola de alacron is something I use for allergies, but it's pain killing properties are fantastic. I broke a toe a bit ago and a topical application made me feel right as rain. Normally, I would take some tumeric to reduce swelling for an injury like that, but the alacron is so much faster and more potent that it has become the number one pain killer in my medicine chest. Boudreaux, my 100 lb puppy, ripped his front dew claw chasing something in the yard and was in a nasty mood over the pain. I tied jaw (his face is too big for the muzzle), gave him 20 cc of cola tincture and poured some on the ripped nail. He sure didn't like the taste of the alcohol, kinda looked at me like 'what the h*ll was that?', but 10 minutes later he was up and running around, and chasing after that darn thing in the yard again. The boy's got NO sense!

Three cups of a strong cashew leaf tea a day seems to be working against the dengue. Roger's fever is gone and, while he's still sick, he's not missed a day of work yet. Things like watering the landscaping are not getting done as he's not up for that and our workers are all busy building the water tower, hauling sand, and building the four dog pens, but stuff like that is replaceable. This country is about nothing if not improvisation, and we are prioritizing as best we can.

The dry, strong winds on the finca are killing off my tomato and mirliton plants, but the okra and cayenne peppers are thriving. Gotta get wind breaks up soon and have begun growing sweet tater vines at the rental to put on those wind breaks. Now, if I can just get the holes dug in that gumbo mud, aka cement, I'll be set.

The rafters are up on my outdoor kitchen, and I'm anxious for this Sunday's finca visit for more pictures! And LOTS of watering, I'm thinking. The 25' x 25' dog pen on the north side of the yard is coming together, and Magnolia seemed to give it her approval this past Sunday's finca trip. It'll get two more rows of block, then the rafters can go up. The dog houses will have tile rooves to match the rest of the buildings, but I doubt I'll go to the trouble of painting the buildings white. They sure wouldn't stay white long!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Does each dog get a pen?

Nah, they gotta share, two per pen. 'Course Mags is gonna want to be out and free to go wherever she wants. She's awful spoiled. And Gumbo, as Roger's dog, is gonna want to be at his side 24/7. I've put my foot down though, NO dogs in my house...no mas. I am sooooo tired of sweeping and mopping floors. I do love my babies, but they're a dirty bunch of beasts!

Blog Entries

"cola de alacron" or "alacran"? Por favor tell us what's really in it.

Cola de alacron is Spanish for scorpion's tail, and it's a prolific weed in Nicaragua. I think there's a pic on another post I did, "happiness is" I think. I'll check at home for a good photo on my computer.

The entire plant, roots washed of course, steeped in vodka beats the heck outa aspirin.

Blog Entries

Almost makes me look forward to getting a headache!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

CF Don´t pay no attention to John...He´s still in training....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

You're right, Jon, it's with an 'a', an accented one in fact. The Latin name for this plant is Verbenaceae Stachytarpheta jamaicensis. The first studies were done in India in '62 and the plant showed antispasmodic and vasodilator properties in these animal studies. 1990 studies showed larvicidal properties, and this plant is a common herbal remedy for parasites and digestive problems in South America.

This plant has been used by the indigenous peoples of the Amazon, Bahamas, Belize, Brazil, Cuba, Haiti, India, Mexico, South America, Trinidad and the West Indies to reduce histamine, suppress coughs, relieve spasms, reduce acid, prevent ulcers, reduce inflammation, expel worms, dilate the blood vessels, kill larva, relieve pain, increase urination, promote menstration, reduce fever, lower blood pressure, promote sweating and heal wounds.

Personally, we've used it for allergy problems in one of the dogs and as a pain killer. It's the strongest herbal remedy for pain that I've come across in the 8 years I've been studying.

The pic below is the scorpion's tail in bloom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

CF I have a bunch of that stuff growing wild on my property,I think, I just went and looked...

The litte purple-blueish flowers are comeing out of what favors asparigus sprouts but longer and a little thinner than a pencil?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

Question And the garden variety???

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    . . . . The Latin name for this plant is Verbenaceae Stachytarpheta jamaicensis. . . .
    Very interesting! Do you know if any of the "garden variety" types of verbena also have medicinal qualities? [such as below?]
    http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening...enuisecta.html
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

JW,that's the same plant, it does wonders for all kinds of medical problems.

DT, there are only two plants in the verbena family with these properties. At least that's all the clinical research has shown so far. They are the jamaicensis and the cayennesis (sp?).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    JW,that's the same plant, it does wonders for all kinds of medical problems.

DT, there are only two plants in the verbena family with these properties. At least that's all the clinical research has shown so far. They are the jamaicensis and the cayennesis (sp?).
    Dr. CF...could you go into a little more detail about the mixture, I don´t want to OD on the vodka or the plant....

I will send you some boneless Snook, (Robalo) fillets and when the rains start some wild caught shrimp like you never had before, for your Fee....

Hahaha, steamed shrimp in beer?...Can ya´dig it?

Dr. CF let me know when Roger has perfected the Hair Growth formula got to fix my receding hairline before its all gone

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

Talking Or better yet

Quote Originally Posted by 3 frijoles View Post
    Dr. CF let me know when Roger has perfected the Hair Growth formula got to fix my receding hairline before its all gone
    Or better yet, that elusive elixir of life or the Nica fountain of youth!
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

Do you know anything about Graviola tree?
    Does it grow in Nicaragua.
    It consist anti cancer ingridient which would fight cancer , more potent than chemotherapy.

Dr. CF...could you go into a little more detail about the mixture, I don´t want to OD on the vodka or the plant....
    Well, JW, I'm not too concerned about you OD'ing on the vodka, but here's what we do with the cola de alacrán. Pull the plant up, roots and all, and wash well.

For a decoction (tea), just cut up about 2 Tbsp of fresh plant (leaves, flowers and stem only - no roots), put in saucepan, add one cup of water and bring just to a boil. Cover, remove from heat and let steep for a few minutes. Strain out plant material, add honey to taste and drink up!

If you've got more time, a tincture is better as the alcohol will pull more out of the plant than water will, but it takes two weeks to make. Cut up the whole plant, roots and all, put into a container that's light-resistant (I use a bleach bottle), push down as best you can, then cover with vodka (at least 30%, or 60 proof, otherwise it'll spoil), about an inch higher than the plant material. Let this steep for two weeks, out of direct sunlight.

This tincture can be applied topically for pain. If taken internally, dosage is 2 to 3 ml twice a day. This stuff is great for relieving allergies as it has histamine blocking properties, but it also suppresses coughs, reduces fever, promotes sweating and eases acid reflux. It's mildly laxative so take that into account if you're planning a long trip somewhere. We use it after a long, hard day of finca work because of it's inflammation-reducing and pain-killing properties.

Cola de alacrán should not be used during pregnancy and, as it lowers blood pressure, I wouldn't recommend using it if you're on antihypertensive medication.

Oh, and that's Doctor Roger...I'm still at the apprentice stage of my herbal education.

Do you know anything about Graviola tree?
    Does it grow in Nicaragua.
    It consist anti cancer ingridient which would fight cancer , more potent than chemotherapy.
    You couldn't be more right, hon! What you mention is Annonaceae Anonna muricata and, if I were diagnosed with cancer, any type of cancer, graviola would be the first step I took to cure myself. Here in Nicaragua, it's called guanábana.

We've found it and tasted the fruit (mighty tasty!) on a finca we looked at to buy near the Catarina area, and bought two trees at a jardín in Catarina for 10 cords a piece. Gotta get a few backups just in case. Ours seem to be growing well, albeit slowly, in the Ochomogo area (MUCH lower, warmer than Catarina).

I won't go into the whole process of how cancer cells grow (that's incredibly educational homework for those who are interested), but I will say that I believe there is no better, safer way to stop those cells from growing than to take the acetogenins found prolifically in all parts of the guanábana/graviola.

Clinical research has been done on this plant since the 40's and, while much of it has revolved around it's anti-cancer and anti-tumorous properties, this plant has many more tricks up it's sleeve. The bark, leaves, fruit and roots have different properties and have been used for increasing milk production after childbirth, killing off parasites, treating diabetes, alleviating arthritis, stopping convulsions and reducing blood pressure. Definitely a tree worth having on your finca!

You are amazing lady,I think you should use your talent and get some money. Herbal industry is big now , why dont you contact health food stores.Please , please keep us informed. Your writings are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by gen08 View Post
    You are amazing lady,I think you should use your talent and get some money. Herbal industry is big now , why dont you contact health food stores.Please , please keep us informed. Your writings are excellent.
    ...are you hinting at that evil word that starts with a W and ends with a K and has the letters O and R in between.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 frijoles View Post
    ...are you hinting at that evil word that starts with a W and ends with a K and has the letters O and R in between.

Hint "Pecunia non olet"

Mr. 3 frijoles,
    I am in USA now but by reading your posts I feel like I am in Nicaragua all the time. Your posts are very informative and hope your talent is not
    disturbed by " evil word"

Default Cola de Alacran

Hey there! That cola de alacran plant is commonly known as porterweed. I have some in my yard here in Miami, planted it to attract butterflies. It is a butterfly magnet. The scientific name is Stachytarpheta jamaicensis, and is in the Verbenaceae family.

I did not know about its medicinl properties, though. Thanks!
    Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.

Blog Entries

What happened to Dr. CF?....I am still waiting for a prescription, Dam, and not the river kind....Do I need to go to her clinic, and pay in cash?

Gracias, gen08. Nicaragua is an incredible learning experience! Don't know about the herbal store thingy, exporting out of this country would be an incredible nightmare, and while the local herb stores don't have the selection they could have (considering where we live!), I think the sheer amounts of herbs needed would be daunting for me.

As for the locals though, there I may be able to do some good. As we learn more about the plants on our finca, I hope to be able to teach some locals about the herbs around them. The health care system here is a joke, and with all these free medicines hanging around, it would be good if the people could fix themselves. I love pushin' that self-sufficiency and independence thing, too!

Default where

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    What happened to Dr. CF?....I am still waiting for a prescription, Dam, and not the river kind....Do I need to go to her clinic, and pay in cash?
    where is the bush medicine woman? still waiting? love potion #9?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Default WHERE is the bush medicine woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    where is the bush medicine woman? still waiting? love potion #9?
    WHERE ARE YOU TONIGHT?

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'"><B><FONT color=#000080>Where, oh where, are you tonight?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast