Thread: Catarina view of Laguna de Apoyo

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Default Catarina view of Laguna de Apoyo

Catarina is a town close to Masaya, overlooking the Apoyo Lagoon. Catarina is famous for this magnificent observation point of the lagoon, as well as for its nurseries.

The viewpoint of Catarina is one of the highest hills surrounding the Apoyo Lagoon, and the view from there is superb. You can see the whole lagoon as well as Lake Nicaragua behind it. The Mombacho volcano borders the lake and is also prominently present.

The viewpoint is a popular place among Nicaraguans during weekends, when families and friends gather here to enjoy the view, grab a bite in one of the restaurants, or have a look through one of the telescopes. These visitors attract salesmen and singers who wander around trying to sell their products or songs. The atmosphere still is quite relaxing during the weekend though, and if you really prefer to be here when there are only few people around you can simply go there during weekdays.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Default great...

photo!
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Kit has a gorgeous place on the Apoyo Crater Lake! In order to get a good shot of her patio area which overlooks the lake, the volcano, and Granada and the isletas in the distance, I would have to float above the lake. Since my floating skills suck, y'all will have to be content with the shots below.

Pic 1 shows her front door and the bodega behind the main house.
    Pic 2 is Kit's office and guest house, both of which share that incredible view.
    Pic 3 shows the stairs she put in to the second, lower level of her property. I've not been down there in awhile as I'm too lazy to walk up all those d*mn stairs again, but I believe she's got a caretaker's house there. Quizás.
    She's put serious amounts of time and effort into her piece of paradise and boy, does it show! I've taken pix of the progress from the beginning as I just love watching a building go up.
    Felicitaciones, Kit, on ALL your hard work!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Do you have any view shots from her patio? The road to her place is from Catarina must be as steep as a goat trail, if it is the house I am thinking of.

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Here's more that show her place. You can get in from the bottom or the top. The top access scares me and I won't do it in rainy season, I keep imagining going right off the side into the lake. It is an incredible view from that way though.

Pic 1 is the Mombacho volcano from her patio. If you were to turn your head left, you'd see Granada and the isletas.
    Pic2 is her patio from sometime last year.
    Pic 3 is from last year as well, before some tree trimming.
    Pic 4 is the road right in front of her house from last year (I think), while she was still in the building process.
    Pic 5 is pretty much how the road looks heading up to her house from the bottom (as if you were coming from Granada or Masaya).
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

That's a kick ass view, just imagine a cup of gourmet expresso and the view Priceless[/B]
    Dios es Amor!

Default thanks for the photos

very nice! thanks!
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/