Thread: Saga part 11

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Saga part 11

Saga part 11

So we had started in on an end of a day routine that was to continue for over 2 years…

After supper and talking about anything, including the life Liz came from and her Island People.

Which she struck me funny one time, when she called me a Yank.

I raised my eyebrows on that one, and Bill laughed, telling me that they all, where she was from referred to anybody from the States as a Yank….

Bill going down in the engine room, checking the packing gland to the propeller shaft and the rudder post.

Lifting up the RULE bilge float switch to hear the car horn above my bunk sound off, in a warning the boat was taking on water…

Later both of us, toasting the day, drinking a big glass of water, to insure we would get up later in the night, to look around and check the boat….

Liz, squaring away the galley, and laying out what was to be prepared for breakfast the following morning.

And Faith, already knocked out in a bunk…..

BTW she did the wake up call in the mornings too, at daylight, no more of that having coffee way before dawn….

We won’t trapping, I had moved up to a VIP office job, with a Dam good window view, no more cubicle for me……..(as if I ever did)

Actually my view was thru a diving mask with a hookah air hose attached to my weight belt and a single stage regulator coupled to it stuck in my mouth.

The next morning we got up and had coffee and about a 15 minute chat.

BTW Liz made better coffee than my dad did…

And while Liz was fixin´ breakfast, Bill and I started getting the hoses and other things all squared away on the fore deck to start our diving.

Now taking into consideration this was only Bill’s 3rd or 4th trip at doing this and me the first one, we started out doing plenty things wrong, and had to go thru a learning curve.

Learning curve my A$$ we were, the cutting edge of the method of capture of diving lobsters commercially.

Bill had two anchor chutes on the bow, one for a 40 pound storm anchor we used in the nights anchored out in the flat sandy bottom.

And another one that held a stout rock anchor we used for the diving on the corral formations.

Believe it or not Liz and I pulled those anchors by hand; she was as strong as she was a good looking woman…..

Bill running up slow on the anchor and she and I taking up the rope till we got over the top of it, and then I dogged off the rope on the bow post to snatch it loose from the bottom.

And then pulling the anchor and chain up into the chute…..By hand?

It doesn´t sound like much, but the weight of the rope and the chain and the conditions?

Ha, I would not want to do it now….

At first when we got onto a large area of corral and dropped the rock anchor, and once it held we would pile a$$ overboard and search it as far as the 300 foot long hoses would allow around the boat.

Capturing what lobsters were there within our reach, and then moving the boat as Bill had started out doing, using the buddy system.

The water was 45 to 60 feet deep…

Liz was doing the hose and compressor tending for us.

Now lobsters are a lot like buffalo, safety in numbers…..

We had more unproductive dives, just a handful here and there, than we got onto a bunch, say 50 or 60 pounds…

And it was taking us a while to move from one place to the next.

After two or three days of this, one evening Bill said to me, John how do you feel about me going up to a formation and taking the boat out of gear and going down alone for a quick look around?

Bill, I got no problems with this, hell it might make less work for me and Liz pulling that anchor, it had got to be a pain in the proverbial Arse.

And so started what we then referred to as ¨Hose Diving¨ me being the blood hound.

This increased our coverage 10 fold, only thing was, me picking up 2 or 3 or 4 on each dive and when hitting a bunch of about 20 to 60 pounds and I would come up and give the thumbs up for the anchor….

Liz would throw it in the water and I would make sure it hung good and go on back to capturing.

By that time Bill would be in the water, most of the time before the rope even came tight.

Needless to say we wore the wet suits all day long.

I started catching more than Bill at the end of the day……

Ahh, but then were the days I found a rock that yielded 200 to 300 pounds, Bill would beat me on catching the lobsters.

He was naturally fast with this…..

Bill and I soon became the top producers working for Pinellas Seafood Company.

Surpassing even my father’s production with his traps….and money…like I said before, I had more toys than the law allowed…

One evening I asked Bill, what would happen if we got into a scrape like you did with Capt. Ray?

He laughed, and went back aft and when he returned had a gun case and laid it out on the galley table.

Opening it, there laid 2 well oiled .30 caliber carbines.

The reason I am touching on this is because it leads into two other chapters in my Saga….

John if you’ll look, one was made by the Singer sewing machine company, and the other was produced by GM under government contracts.

All the goodie’s are gone, but they are in perfect condition, and zeroed in at 100 yards.

Goodies ? I said….all I ever knew about was deer and squirrel hunting with the óle man with a shotgun back in NC on vacations down in the swamps……

At that time I had never shot a rifle….

Yes John, it is illegal for a civilian to own a machine gun, and these have been modified to be semi automatic, and legal, and with the 30 round clips these things will lay down quite a return fire as fast as a man can aim and pull the trigger.

John, under that galley seat right there, that you have been sitting on is 100, 30 round magazines loaded with every 5th round a tracer, and 1000 more rounds in sealed boxes…..

I will never get caught with my pants down again….

To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Hahaha, it was to long El Doc so had to do it twice..

Chuck got me these years ago, after mine and Rays problem, you know Capt. Chuck?

I had met Capt. Chuck and his beautiful wife Paula who had bought an old boat and was fixing it up to go diving.

Charles A. Johnson, ex Marine, decorated combat veteran, ex POW having spent 36 months in a camp in North Korea.

Placed in 1968 shooting for the North Carolina National Guard, 5th in the nation with a handgun, and 3rd with a rifle…..

Paula, an ex Playboy Bunnie from Chicago…

I made a trip diving with them that I will tell about later….

I have to finish Capt. Bill and Liz´s story first…….

Continued…
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Default My second wife had the most beautiful ass ....

About 15 years ago ...My wife, my son and I used to visit my brother who lived in Key West. He was military and worked with a group of international military guys who chased bad guys smuggling drugs in the Caribbean Sea.

Every summer there would be a lobster mini-season where us amateurs could go out and catch lobsters before the commercial guys like JPJW could set their traps.

Well my brother Jeff, would scout out the best areas for lobsters before mini season and we would be ready to hit those areas at dawn on opening day. So our technique was similar to JPJW's. It went like this...

Four people in the boat ...

One was driving.

One was being towed behind the boat with a sled. The sled let you go up and down the water column, cruise left and right looking for lobsters. This person used a snorkel. When lobsters were sighted, he would let go of the rope and the boat would circle back.

Two more guys would go into the water. One with a snorkel and one with a tank. So we got three guys in the water. The guy with the tank would stay below and catch lobsters with a net. When he had two or three, one guy on the surface would swim down and give him a fresh net and take the lobsters to the third guy who would put them into a bag. This was rotated until all the lobsters were taken from that site and the whole process was repeated.

We would end the day with about 100 lobsters in the freezer. Yummy!

This technique let us cover a lot of ground and get a lot of lobsters while only using one tank of air. It was a group effort!

Oh yeah ... then we would anchor up and drink beer and watch my ex-wife snorkel in her thong bikini. She was actually very good at putting us on a few more lobsters.

Those were the days my friend ....
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post

Oh yeah ... then we would anchor up and drink beer and watch my ex-wife snorkel in her thong bikini. She was actually very good at putting us on a few more lobsters.

Those were the days my friend ....
    you and 2 other guys sat around drinking beer looking at your ex-wife's butt? hehehe...is this why she is your ex wife?

Quote Originally Posted by TermnalVee View Post
    you and 2 other guys sat around drinking beer looking at your ex-wife's butt? hehehe...is this why she is your ex wife?

And it's always an ex-playboy bunny, isn't? It got me to thinking about pre-playboy bunnies. Sounds lewd, but don't we wish we had that foresight when we was pickin' out our childhood sweethearts? I know, it's wrong - but it's right too.
    Last edited by thunderdial; 05-30-2008 at 01:58 AM. Reason: WTF? I need a reason? Bite my ex-playboy bunny!

Blog Entries

Hey if it was not good enough for others to oggle over...Why would anyone want to keep it...even with the extra baggage of having a bad attitude....Been there done that...and I am sure many have too....

Blog Entries

Default Thanks for the extended installment

I was jonesin man. uke:

All this literary excellence is making it hard for me to get up the nerve to start writing again. Maybe I need to gather up some new adventures.

Anyone know if the FARC is hiring?
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    I was jonesin man. uke:

All this literary excellence is making it hard for me to get up the nerve to start writing again. Maybe I need to gather up some new adventures.

Anyone know if the FARC is hiring?
    I know they have a few openings as of a couple weeks ago!

Super Meditator

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    We would end the day with about 100 lobsters in the freezer. Yummy!

LCT, was there a limit on how many you could catch during the mini season at that time?
    "Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance." - Albert Einstein. - Politics may not be the oldest profession but the results are the same.

Blog Entries

Default Sosa back to the warning track . . . and it's GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    I know they have a few openings as of a couple weeks ago!
    You like how I hung that curveball . . .
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    You like how I hung that curveball . . .
    And as big as a grapefruit it looked! I hurried to type it out before someone else got to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Hey if it was not good enough for others to oggle over...Why would anyone want to keep it...even with the extra baggage of having a bad attitude....Been there done that...and I am sure many have too....
    JW.... have you ever read anything by Charles Bukowski? I think you would enjoy some of his stuff. He was hard living, hard drinking, no frills and completely politically incorrect as you can get....he wrote it as he saw it.... I recommend the book "Women" to start out... let me know what you think ......here is some info on him.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bukowski

Blog Entries

Interesting,,,DON´T TRY....Just do it (my addition)

Blog Entries

Default Yes ...

Quote Originally Posted by Seybonazo View Post
    LCT, was there a limit on how many you could catch during the mini season at that time?
    There was a limit.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

With a tickle stick and a hoop net?

We had no restrictions in international waters, used a shark hook on the end of a black fiberglas fishing pole blank...my best day was 260 pounds....Of tails.....Bill got over 300....

Of course, to land ém in Florida they had to be of legal size and not scrubbed egg bearing females....
    Last edited by Just Plain John Wayne; 06-02-2008 at 02:34 PM.