Thread: Corn Island Finca - July

Blog Entries

Default Corn Island Finca - July

Wow, rain & more rain. The rain is ruining most of the crops in my old gardens (tomatoes bursting, melons rotting, etc), but it is great for all of the new stuff I have planted on the Finca.

*I have approx 200 tomato plants in the ground, many with blooms.
    *Trying to get 100-200 pepper plants (all varieties) in the ground.
    *My green beans & lima beans did not come too good, will soon replant
    *Have a 100' row of black-eyed peas coming nice (my favorite)
    *Have 50 okra (my other favorite, fried next to the black-eyed peas)
    *Had a few peanut come, going to plant some more
    *I think the neighbors chickens ate my sweet corn, going to replant
    *Have 20 or so Eggplant (few varieties)
    *a few yellow squash & zuchinni came, planting more
    *Lots of vining squash & melons coming in my plantain rows
    *Lettuce & spinach growing in a shaded bed between some plantain
    *Cucumbers coming on a trellis in the back row of garden

Been harvesting plenty of pear (avocado), 3 varieties. Getting a few limes & my tangerine tree is loaded with small fruit, have 2 bitter & sweet orange trees bearing (a real nice juice). I have planted some calala (another nice juice) & the vines are coming nice. Once I get my garden in I will start concentrating on getting more trees in. I have a few soursop, & pink grapefruit started, they should be ready to go in the ground in 6 months or so. Looking forward to a trip to the mainland to pick up some citrus trees & flowering bushes.

pics: garden, black-eyed peas, tomatoes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great to see Kevin, it sure is coming along. When you are in full production there will be more space on the boats to beer! Progress for the islands.
    smiling is good - being happy helps - give a hand up not a handout

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Kevin, there's a good selection of citrus just outside Jinotepe, on the road to San Marcos. Also, Buen Pastor, between Jinotepe and Nandaime, has a great selection.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

Started staking the tomatoes yesterday, almost let them get away from me, many have small tomatoes on & nearly all of my first crop are in bloom. I am using wild cane, not my first choice (it does not last too long in the weather here & ants love it) but it is free & until I can build a better mousetrap I will use it. In my old garden I used 3/8 rebar, each piece will make 4 stakes but the cost now would be around $1.50 a stake, with 200 (& counting) plants is is just does't seem practical & I am concerned that the stakes would be targeted for theft & of course when the pull the stake they will pull the plant too.

In my old garden I used a combo of rod with 3-4 strands of wire running between rods to make a trellis type support. Thought on the Finca I might make some cement post & run wire between them, the problem is my rows are 100' long & I will be rotating crops so I would have cement posts planted all over the garden. Any Ideas??

I have the 100x100 garden a little over 1/2 planted, but am having hell growing from seed, the chickens move in as soon as I leave & have a nice snack. Once I get moved up there that will improve some, just having a dog around will deter the chickens some. For now I am back to starting my seeds at home then putting the plants in the ground when ready.

Cannot figure out what ate all my lettuce, I have a 60'x5' row for lettuce between a row of plantain in the shade. I had a nice batch of leaf lettuce, arugula, & spinach coming up, one day it looked beautiful, the next day it was GONE. Luckily, I have plenty of lettuce seed.

Looks like by the end of August I will be harvesting tomatoes, okra, black-eyed peas, peppers, & maybe a few squash. I am getting excited.

It is funny when people see the garden for the first time, they hear me talk about it & know I have it, but there is nothing like it here, the first response is always WOW.
    Lots of people here grow stuff, mostly around the yard here & there or a small fenced garden, but this is big, it still amazes me & I can't wait to see it jam packed with fresh vegetables.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow you coming along good there, but I have a question, What do those commerical Mater growers do? surely they don´t stake out a million plants?

Just a thought, and BTW thanks for the heads up when ém blackeye peas going to be ready, I think I have to make a trip to the southerd soon....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

You can let the plants "sprawl", they just lay on the ground, I had some in my garden last year like that, the problem is the rains here, they can not dry very well when laid on the ground & they get a fungus. I am going to experiment this year with a few ideas & keep looking for suggestions.

Make a trip this way anytime after the middle of next month & I can guarantee a mess off black-eyed peas, fried okra, & even some chicken fried steak.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You got it but, NO on the chicken fried steak, I am to the neck with chicken over here, Dam, and not the river kind, no beef making it into town, or pork, and when the turtle fishermen show up it is root hog or die for that....

Besides Marlies promised us...Chicken fried Lobster......or grouper, Hell I´d settle for an Old Wife..(For the rest of you reading this, Old Wife, is not zacly Old Wife)...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Why no pork? Surely you can raise your own hogs on the DAC?

Blog Entries

I am getting some pigs here.

I think the problem in Port is the road is rained out, cutting off transport

Blog Entries

Maybe they ate their last hog. The US Navy should fill up an LCAC with hogs and land it on the beach.