Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Life on the "DAC"

  1. #1
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,300
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Life on the "DAC"

    Yesterday was just another normal day, no big surprises, but plenty of dissapointment.

    I made a shopping trip to MGA early last week & bought lots of stuff (stove, fridge, zinc, hardware,etc...). Arranged transport to Rama with my normal guy, have it to him by Wednesday it gets here Friday, I had it to him last Thursday, so plenty of time. Had my normal truck guy here on stand-by, gave him the list & he would go to the boat & check discharge times & give me a call & then bring the stuff to me upon discharge. I get the call yesterday late morning from the truck guy, Mr Kevin, none of your stuff is here. Sh*t. Calls are made, here, there, everywhere. No one knows nothing.

    Best guess is that it is in Rama at the "warehouse" herein lies the problem, it will now be moved to the back as supplies come in for next weeks boat & may very well stay there for weeks, months, years, decades, you get the picture.

    Several items in the shipment are needed to complete my construction & are the reason I made the trip when I did. Now, all I can do is wait & pray that I ever see all the nice things I bought.

    Just another "normal" day on the DAC.

  2. #2

    Default good

    good luck!
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

  3. #3
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,300
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Well the word now is maybe it will be here tomorrow night, the boat is making 2 trips this week.

  4. #4
    House SOB Little Corn Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    Posts
    9,777
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Sounds like you need an expeditor...

    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Yesterday was just another normal day, no big surprises, but plenty of dissapointment.

    I made a shopping trip to MGA early last week & bought lots of stuff (stove, fridge, zinc, hardware,etc...). Arranged transport to Rama with my normal guy, have it to him by Wednesday it gets here Friday, I had it to him last Thursday, so plenty of time. Had my normal truck guy here on stand-by, gave him the list & he would go to the boat & check discharge times & give me a call & then bring the stuff to me upon discharge. I get the call yesterday late morning from the truck guy, Mr Kevin, none of your stuff is here. Sh*t. Calls are made, here, there, everywhere. No one knows nothing.

    Best guess is that it is in Rama at the "warehouse" herein lies the problem, it will now be moved to the back as supplies come in for next weeks boat & may very well stay there for weeks, months, years, decades, you get the picture.

    Several items in the shipment are needed to complete my construction & are the reason I made the trip when I did. Now, all I can do is wait & pray that I ever see all the nice things I bought.

    Just another "normal" day on the DAC.
    In Rama....any contacts there?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

  5. #5
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    If he had a contact in Rama, he would not be crying on TRN......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  6. #6
    Active TRN Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Corn Island - Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    665

    Default

    a contact in Rama???? The paperwork will establish where the items are... eventually... when/if "cookshow" refuses to pay for the shipment from MGA-Rama. Bottom line is that you never know when you are going to receive your stuff. There is a famous story about "Sunday" sounding a lot like "Some Day"...
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

  7. #7
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,300
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    This is with an "expediter". You are at their mercy & it is a helpless feeling. Keeping my fingers crossed the stuff comes tomorrow, if not, then the fun will begin. The contacts say, probably in the "warehouse" & will be on next boat.

  8. #8
    House SOB Little Corn Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    Posts
    9,777
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Has anybody been to Rama?

    What is the place like?

    Are there stores where you can buy things to ship to the islands?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

  9. #9
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,300
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Of course any good story has lots of twists & turns. Now the river is flooded at Rama & the boat can't load.. As JPJW would say............To be continued.

  10. #10
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,300
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Yesterday my Items arived with an acceptable amount of damage (some paint scratched off the fridge is all I have seen so far, but have not unpacked the stuff).

    Today I should get the shock of finding out what the boat charged to haul the stuff.

  11. #11
    Para aquí para acá Jonh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    16,162
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    What is the place like?

    Are there stores where you can buy things to ship to the islands?
    Sounds like an opportunity for some savage capitalism.

  12. #12
    House SOB Little Corn Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    Posts
    9,777
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Well ... Yeah

    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Sounds like an opportunity for some savage capitalism.
    That is what I thought and since it serves Bluefields and the Corn Islands, you would think that there would be places there with hardware and appliances etc. But maybe it is just easier to go to Managua and ship stuff to El Rama.

    Seems like you ought to be able to take the boat from Corn Island to El Rama, select your stuff, and bring it back directly to Corn. Sooo... I just wondered what was available in El Rama.

    Sounds like no body has been there.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

  13. #13
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,300
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    From what I understand there is a good selection in Rama, but nothing like MGA. Prices are higher than in MGA so it is 6 of one half a dz of the other. MGA has the selection.

    I plan to make a trip there, but not until the dry season.

  14. #14
    ex-pat from Fydelandia GreenGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    MGA, Nicaragua
    Posts
    84

    Default Other "factors"

    MGA also has some other things going for it, real restaurants being just one of those things!

  15. #15
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Ain´t that the truth, you can even get a pieza and a cold beer there.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  16. #16
    TRN Surgeon General El Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    La Gran Nada, Departamento Granada
    Posts
    5,638
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Ain´t that the truth, you can even get a pieza and a cold beer there.....
    ¿Peiza de que?
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

  17. #17
    Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Casares/Estelii, Nicaragua
    Posts
    2,073
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default de Nalgas perhaps??



    Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    ¿Peiza de que?

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Ain´t that the truth, you can even get a pieza and a cold beer there.....
    ahh Managua! where bajo cero really means bajo cero. I've been to over 30 countries and no place comes close to serving beer as cold as they do in managua.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 11:30 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 06:18 PM
  3. Young Protestors face Violent Sandinistas in front of "Canal 4"
    By tresfrijoles in forum Today, in Nicaragua...
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 01:35 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-01-2008, 09:25 PM
  5. "Miss America Latina" and "Miss Mesoamérica&q
    By tresfrijoles in forum Nicaraguan Culture, Politics and History
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Also visit the False Bluff Blog!