Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: solar water heater?

Default solar water heater?

(UWIRE) -- In spring 2007, University of California Berkeley Energy and Resources Group professor Ashok Gadgil challenged students in his Design for Sustainable Communities class to come up with an affordable and efficient solar water heater that could be used in low-income households.
    The heaters installed in Guatemala have made an important impact on peoples' lives, student says.
    Now, a little more than a year later, one team of students has already installed solar water heaters on the roofs of several homes in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala.
    They have been so beneficial to the recipients that there are already plans to mass produce the heaters locally.
    The team of UC Berkeley graduate students and alumni said they are planning to enter their heater design into a national competition in October.
    Though the heater has only been tested in middle- and lower-class residential homes in Quetzaltenango, the team hopes to extend the technology to other developing countries in Latin America, Africa and Southern Asia, said Kenneth Armijo, a mechanical engineering doctoral student currently in Guatemala.
    "The more we advance with the project, the more we realize it has an important impact on the life of people and it has a great potential to be replicated in other places around the world," said team member Ernesto Rodriguez, who is working toward a masters in business administration.
    Armijo said the team hopes the heaters will stimulate local economies.
    "This is a crucial step to not only integrate technologies into the third world for beneficial resources, but to make these resources available sustainably," said Armijo.
    The team spent the spring 2007 semester working to perfect the design of a solar water heater Gadgil had presented to their class.
    Over spring break, team member Merwan Benhabib, an engineering doctoral student, traveled to Quetzaltenango to assess the community and see what local materials were available to build the heaters.
    "Merwan found that ... households use electric in-line heaters for showering, which are costly due to the electricity expenses and hazardous since you are prone to getting shocked," said engineering doctoral student Sara Beaini.
    By the end of the spring 2007 semester, the team had built and tested a prototype that heated water up to 40 degrees Celsius-sufficient for showering, members said.
    During spring break this year, members of the team traveled to Guatemala to test a third prototype of the heater and conduct market analysis surveys.
    In the coming months, Rodriguez said he plans to survey the families that tested the heater to find out the impact it has had on their daily lives.
    Though the team said it currently has two heaters that have been successfully installed, there are several adjustments to make based on user feedback before they can present their finished product to manufacturing companies.
    "It is one thing to develop a technology in a university lab, but another to develop it in the field with all of the uncertainties and unknown challenges that aren't always technically and socially apparent," Armijo said.
    Despite temporary challenges, the team remains confident that the affordability of the heater will dramatically alter the lives of low-income families. The group estimates the heaters will cost $100 each when mass produced.
    "(Quetzaltenango) is an urban community with significant economic activity that has little access to new technologies ... there is a lot of potential to create a local industry that will create jobs, bring better products to the market and improve quality of life of the population," said Rodriguez.
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Interesting article... any specs on the unit.... looks like roof zinc is involved.... I never did hear back from that mentiroso JW about his solar water heater How about it JW?
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

They could probably score a lot of carbon offsets with those and sell them on the open market.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

I can tell ya from first hand knowledge that JW solar water heater worked. Worked sowell you would get scalded when you first turned on the water.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yea John, that was one of the back to the drawing board things about it...I worked fine if you wanted to scald the hair off a hog, but had to let the water run a bit before a human could get under it....

But I did have it worked out just fine with a insulated holding tank, and then the Hurricane Felix swept the collection field mounted on top of the zinc away....

I am deffinately going to put it back up but I have been waiting my money from FEMA to do it with...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

JW, they have these crazy newfangled gizmos up here called "mixing valves" where you run a pipe of cold water and a pipe of hot water to it, and you can actually mix the two until it's the temperature you like! What will they think of next!

Blog Entries

Ahhh, yes, hot on the left and cold on the right...

$hit runs down hill, bossmans a SOB, and Friday is payday....

Only thing was about my proto type it only worked when the sun was shining....

At night you would freez ém cahones.....

The insulated tank smoothed everything out and even allowed about 4 days of rainy weather with no sun...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

JW is sort of on to the problem about stored heat energy.
    In the commercial world I experimented with cogeneration in waste heat from engine cooling that was used to suppliment water heaters. In my case I was able to shift a lot of needed electrical power in my electrical loads analysis.

If you think of alternative energy as a suppliment to conventional sources you will be happier in the beginning. That may not be the exact case in a third world approach to heating water. In that case the use would be during availability only.

You know a year or so ago, Hawaii had made solar water heaters mandatory on all new construction.
    Survivor

Default Re: solar water heater?

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    You know a year or so ago, Hawaii had made solar water heaters mandatory on all new construction.
    how's that working?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Ahhh, yes, hot on the left and cold on the right...

$hit runs down hill, bossmans a SOB, and Friday is payday....

Only thing was about my proto type it only worked when the sun was shining....

Da man is clean in the day and dirty at the night.....so let ya sun shine in...da da da da da....sun shine in..dup pe dup pe.

LIMITED MUSICAL TALENTS

Quote Originally Posted by robertharvey View Post
    Da man is clean in the day and dirty at the night.....so let ya sun shine in...da da da da da....sun shine in..dup pe dup pe.

LIMITED MUSICAL TALENTS
    as miskito alan would say, i don't like it, i love it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    how's that working?
    Hawaii to require solar water heaters for new homes starting in 2010

June 28, 2008

With a heavy reliance on imported fossil fuels, Hawaii has become the first state to require solar water heaters in new homes, pleasing environmentalists but leading opponents to note the island chain's already high home prices.

• Solar Water Fountain KitsSolar water features at their best with new design & fountain variety.www.siliconsolar.comBuild Your Own Home Solar PanelsSave 1000s on Energy Cost! Easy Instructions, Fun, Educational.www.Earth4Energy.comUtility Bills Too High? Think SolarLow investment and high return. Easy to install factory direct kits. Progressivtube Solar heater has no moving parts.solardirect.com Sponsored Links

Republican Gov. Linda Lingle signed a bill this week that requires the energy-saving systems starting in 2010. She said the law was "another important step in our long-term plan for energy independence in Hawaii."
    Hawaiian Electric Co. estimates that about 85,000 households, or roughly 20% of all homes on the islands, already have solar water heating systems. They come standard in many new homes.
    A traditionally powered water heater is the largest consumer of electricity inside a home, accounting for about 25% to 40% of the power used. A solar system costs about $6,000, compared with about $700 for an electric or natural gas water heater.
    Environmentalists applauded the requirement.
    "At a time when the globe hungers for smart energy solutions, Hawaii is demonstrating how it can be done," said Jeff Mikulina, director of the Sierra Club of Hawaii.
    But opponents contend that the law is unfair and will drive up home prices in Hawaii, where a modest home can start at $600,000.
    State Sen. Gary Hooser, a Democrat who first introduced the measure five years ago, said home buyers would save money in the long run, with electricity bills at least $50 lower each month in a state with the highest electricity rates in the nation.
    "I'm hoping this will start a trend nationwide," said Hooser, who plans to meet with lawmakers in other sunny states such as California to push similar laws.
    Hawaii relies on imported fossil fuels more than any other state, with about 90% of its energy coming from foreign countries, according to state data.
    The new law prohibits issuing building permits for single-family homes that do not have solar water heaters. Some exceptions will be allowed, such as forested areas with little sunshine.
    In January, Lingle announced the Hawaii Clean Energy Initiative partnership, which aims to have at least 70% of Hawaii's energy needs supplied by renewable sources by 2030.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Dr D, I am currently in a search to find the impacts of this requirement to use solar water heaters in all new construction. That requirement is now about a year old. All of the information I am finding is basically propaganda driven by those in favor of using it. It cost about 10 times more to the end user ($6000) in it's marketable form. Little things like that here and there can really impact the cost to the builder. Of course there is a, home-made, do-it-yourself method, and plenty of other ways or things that a person can do to save money when building a home.

I was looking to see things like, if it impacted home sales and what not, and I really didn't see anything either. That data would be seriously skewd at this time anyway.

Sorry
    Survivor

Blog Entries

In Hawaii with active volcanoes, why not geothermal?

Blog Entries

I was not able to edit my post, but credit goes to the Los Angelas Times.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun...ss/fi-hawaii28
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    In Hawaii with active volcanoes, why not geothermal?
    I have never worked with that stuff Jonh. Doesn't Central America have a lot of geothermal engery as well? I have been after myself to understand the use of geothermal energy for quite a while. I guess I have been too lazy.

Thanks for the reminder I guess.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

A modest home starts at $600,000.oo read this Six Hundred THOUSAND Dollars, and yea with what, a 20 to 30K income.......

$hit just for the fun of it lets say the income is 50k.....

Now I never even finished High School, and Math was NOT one of my strongest subjects but it don't add up......

Now if you want to continue the "Legal Slave trade" which stupid people "Indenture" themselves to Banking houses....

Why not be a bit smart about it and put these type of people in something they can handle the 30 years of servitude, plus the routine maintainance of said, and allow them to eat out once in a while and to dance around the camp fires like in the olden days....

F#ck these bankers were SMART....Put it on the backs of the tax payers, and now the Dems want to tax investor capitol.......

What a freakin mess, and I fo one do not think Obama has the balls, or script, to Change it....

Are we going to blame this on BUSH too?

Blog Entries

A modest home starts at $600,000.oo read this Six Hundred THOUSAND Dollars, and yea with what, a 20 to 30K income.......

$hit just for the fun of it lets say the income is 50k.....

Now I never even finished High School, and Math was NOT one of my strongest subjects but it don't add up......

Now if you want to continue the "Legal Slave trade" which stupid people "Indenture" themselves to Banking houses....

Why not be a bit smart about it and put these type of people in something they can handle the 30 years of servitude, plus the routine maintainance of said, and allow them to eat out once in a while and to dance around the camp fires like in the olden days....

F#ck these bankers were SMART....Put it on the backs of the tax payers, and now the Dems want to tax investor capitol.......

What a freakin mess, and I fo one do not think Obama has the balls, or script, to Change it....

Are we going to blame this on BUSH too?
    You know on that topic JW, which is very deep, one has to constantly make choices. I mean, America is a free country if you believe what they are telling you, but it is getting very hard to find an element of your life that does not have some form or government control, from raising your own children to what color house you can have. These are the things, for me, that weigh on the scale of 'dropping out' or not. In the last couple of years I have been wanting to distance myself from this control as a matter of survival. If I am not mistaken, this is something that you have done many years ago. One has to constantly weigh every violation of one's personal integrity with one's personal ambitions and decide. WIth that in mind, I am always telling Sharon that I want our next piece of real estate to be a cash transaction.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    You know on that topic JW, which is very deep, one has to constantly make choices. I mean, America is a free country if you believe what they are telling you, but it is getting very hard to find an element of your life that does not have some form or government control, from raising your own children to what color house you can have. These are the things, for me, that weigh on the scale of 'dropping out' or not. In the last couple of years I have been wanting to distance myself from this control as a matter of survival. If I am not mistaken, this is something that you have done many years ago. One has to constantly weigh every violation of one's personal integrity with one's personal ambitions and decide. WIth that in mind, I am always telling Sharon that I want our next piece of real estate to be a cash transaction.
    Look Randude, I dropped out of the system at 30 something, I am a commercial fisherman from when I joined the work force full time at the age of 16.

Bit by bit, we have been legislated out of business by tourist and Sport fishing industries, and about 22 years ago I moved offshore where it is still considered an honorable profession......

I mean really a man of 30 something years with no formal education other than basic reading, writing, and arithmetic skills retraining?

For what? to get on a Squirrel cage job.....

NO not this man......

Look Randude, I dropped out of the system at 30 something, I am a commercial fisherman from when I joined the work force full time at the age of 16.

Bit by bit, we have been legislated out of business by tourist and Sport fishing industries, and about 22 years ago I moved offshore where it is still considered an honorable profession......

I mean really a man of 30 something years with no formal education other than basic reading, writing, and arithmetic skills retraining?

For what? to get on a Squirrel cage job.....

NO not this man......
    JW, you have the sound of a man that was born 200 years too late! But that didn't stop you from claiming your own independence!!! As you often say, "Good on ya"!!!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    JW, you have the sound of a man that was born 200 years too late!!
    The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder

He's an over-forty victim of fate
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder

He's an over-forty victim of fate
    Arriving too late!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Arriving too late!
    but is he impotate?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    but is he impotate?
    wrong song

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast