Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Infrastructure on Ometepe

  1. #1
    TRN Surgeon General El Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    La Gran Nada, Departamento Granada
    Posts
    5,638
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Infrastructure on Ometepe

    Does anyone here live or spend a lot of time on Ometepe? I was wondering about the infrastructure. Specifically, I am referring to electricity and internet service. I can make everything else. I could make my own electricity, but I'd get sick of hauling fuel. I only want a generator for backup. Are they on the same grid as Granada or Rivas?

    As I"ve stated before, internet access is a must (or I'll starve). Can anyone relay their experiences? Specifically, how reliable of a connection can you get and what kind of speeds? Is there cellular service on the island?

    Thanks everyone. La Baby Doc has been surfing the net and wants to know why we're going to Granada instead of Ometepe. I told her other than the lack of restaurants, I really don't know.

    Any info is greatly appreciated.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

  2. #2
    Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Casares/Estelii, Nicaragua
    Posts
    2,073
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default maybe internet speed

    Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    Does anyone here live or spend a lot of time on Ometepe? I was wondering about the infrastructure. Specifically, I am referring to electricity and internet service. I can make everything else. I could make my own electricity, but I'd get sick of hauling fuel. I only want a generator for backup. Are they on the same grid as Granada or Rivas?
    Not a problem, Union Fenosa has most if not the entire island covered

    As I"ve stated before, internet access is a must (or I'll starve). Can anyone relay their experiences? Specifically, how reliable of a connection can you get and what kind of speeds?
    Now,connectivity wise,there may be an issue,unless you are to set up your own tower,your best bet would be wireless,bellsout connection at 526,which sucks.Thou there are a few small back packers type hotels,which over Wi-Fi ,it would behove you to find outfrom them.

    Is there cellular service on the island?
    I know for a fact that Moyogalpa,Merida,San Ramon and all the way to Alta Gracia has Claro coverage with a few Dead Spots in San Ramon.

  3. #3

    Default didn't rogertroll

    Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    Not a problem, Union Fenosa has most if not the entire island covered

    Now,connectivity wise,there may be an issue,unless you are to set up your own tower,your best bet would be wireless,bellsout connection at 526,which sucks.Thou there are a few small back packers type hotels,which over Wi-Fi ,it would behove you to find outfrom them.

    I know for a fact that Moyogalpa,Merida,San Ramon and all the way to Alta Gracia has Claro coverage with a few Dead Spots in San Ramon.
    didn't rogertroll put up a tower for 485 dollars?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

  4. #4
    Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Casares/Estelii, Nicaragua
    Posts
    2,073
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default yes but..

    not in Ometepe, his tower is in Diriamba I believe
    Here is Cloro coverage in Nicaragua, just point with your mouse any part of the map.
    http://www.claro.com.ni/index.php?op...521&Itemid=378

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    didn't rogertroll put up a tower for 485 dollars?
    Last edited by FisherCigarman; 08-27-2008 at 10:08 PM.

  5. #5
    Dave's not here man... MicroWISP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Texas, it's like a whole 'nother country.
    Posts
    28

    Default

    FisherCigarman, you mean 256 not 526 right?
    "Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it."

  6. #6
    Para aquí para acá Jonh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    16,054
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Is Cloro a nickname for Claro?

  7. #7
    Dave's not here man... MicroWISP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Texas, it's like a whole 'nother country.
    Posts
    28

    Default

    El Doc, you have a couple of choices on Ometepe. You can put up a tower for wireless broadband or use the 3G network. I just remembered though, you need some bandwidth so the tower will be your option. I checked on the wireless setup and there is no bandwidth cap, it is unlimited. Service will run you about $75.00 per month and up.

    http://www.claro.com.ni/
    Last edited by MicroWISP; 08-28-2008 at 07:21 AM. Reason: added website address
    "Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it."

  8. #8
    Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Casares/Estelii, Nicaragua
    Posts
    2,073
    Blog Entries
    13

    Thumbs up I stand corrected

    Yes,the wireless internet offered by bellsouth it's 256,when we had it it cost $48 USD a month, with everything including the cell Phone,right now it cost about $65 USD a month.
    I tell ya this type of internet is neat,you can have internett anywhere you have their signal,I wonder if Claro has it,their coverage is far superior then bellsout/MovieStar.


    Quote Originally Posted by MicroWISP View Post
    FisherCigarman, you mean 256 not 526 right?

  9. #9
    House SOB Little Corn Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    Posts
    9,678
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default And....

    Do they have it on Corn Island?

    Actually, my question is this. If Claro offers this Internet service in Managua (for example) is it available anywhere on their system or does there need to be special equipment installed locally?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

  10. #10
    TRN Surgeon General El Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    La Gran Nada, Departamento Granada
    Posts
    5,638
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Thanks for all the great responses everyone. One more reason why this site rule!

    I'm going to have to hop a ferry over to the island when I get down there and have a look around.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

  11. #11
    Me Shut-up & Listen Maybe stefandav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Beijing, New York mainly
    Posts
    28

    Question Any suggestions or ideas?

    Quote Originally Posted by MicroWISP View Post
    El Doc, you have a couple of choices on Ometepe. You can put up a tower for wireless broadband or use the 3G network. I just remembered though, you need some bandwidth so the tower will be your option. I checked on the wireless setup and there is no bandwidth cap, it is unlimited. Service will run you about $75.00 per month and up.

    http://www.claro.com.ni/
    I need to learn a lot more. I had concluded 3G as well because "3G is generally considered applicable mainly to mobile wireless, it is also relevant to fixed wireless and portable wireless. A 3G system should be operational from any location on, or over, the earth's surface" - basically I need access on my laptop mobile and desktop at home base(s) which . In your answer I find I am not sure re the bandwidth issue (wireless broadband vs 3G). I mean I am too dumb to understand the level of functional need to chose one over the other. BTW I am in China till next March and there could be some significant price differences for stuff.
    I'm not ugly, but my beauty is a total creation.
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

  12. #12
    Land Mammal thom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Just tell baby doc that Ometepe is one of the most boring

    bug ridden hellholes, that comes complete with some of the

    nicest people on the planet. Have 9 manzanas I will sell if you like.

    Billion dollar view, cloudy title.

    This is from the property line, everything behind me is bush,

    hence its nickname The Monkey Farm

    Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries
    to rich people in poor countries.

  13. #13
    TRN Surgeon General El Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    La Gran Nada, Departamento Granada
    Posts
    5,638
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    That looks like a little piece of heaven! How cloudy is the title?

    btw, are there really monkeys?
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

  14. #14
    Land Mammal thom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    311

    Default

    The theory is I will have clear title by the new year, but this is

    Nicaragua. Monkeys live in the neighborhood and will use any handy

    trees. I don't know if they actually "live" in a spot or a range.

    These are what is there, just a rusty fence and trees.




    Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries
    to rich people in poor countries.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MicroWISP View Post
    El Doc, you have a couple of choices on Ometepe. You can put up a tower for wireless broadband or use the 3G network.
    Hmm, interesting. I've got info on the company that sets up the towers, and on Enitel's landlines, but not on 3G. Do you know details about 3G, who provides it and at what speed/price?

    Thom, where's your land for sale at, anyway? Do you have a real estate listing somewhere?

  16. #16
    Dave's not here man... MicroWISP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Texas, it's like a whole 'nother country.
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I don't have a lot of info on the 3G stuff yet... anyone else?

    "Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it."

  17. #17
    Land Mammal thom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hombretotoro View Post
    Thom, where's your land for sale at, anyway? Do you have a real estate listing somewhere?
    I am not trying to sell the monkey farm. Without clear title it would

    continue the fraud/mistakes I am paying for. It is fun to talk about

    and tease el doc with, but no it is not on the market. I have also

    learned my lesson and would not list with a real estate agency.
    Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries
    to rich people in poor countries.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stefandav View Post
    I need to learn a lot more. I had concluded 3G as well because "3G is generally considered applicable mainly to mobile wireless, it is also relevant to fixed wireless and portable wireless. A 3G system should be operational from any location on, or over, the earth's surface" - basically I need access on my laptop mobile and desktop at home base(s) which . In your answer I find I am not sure re the bandwidth issue (wireless broadband vs 3G). I mean I am too dumb to understand the level of functional need to chose one over the other. BTW I am in China till next March and there could be some significant price differences for stuff.
    3G is mostly a brand, is more of a collection network technologies based on the IMT-2000 ITU standard. I wouldn't get hung up on lingo, just who is offering the fastest, most reliable cellular wide area network.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    Thanks for all the great responses everyone. One more reason why this site rule!

    I'm going to have to hop a ferry over to the island when I get down there and have a look around.
    You damn users and your "needs"

    Let me ask you this; I know you guys need resolution to pinpoint the little things that kill us, but when you download films, are they as small as they can be? In other words, I spend a lot of time banging my web designers in the head every time I find a jpeg that is 700k, when it can be resized to 50k without any noticeable loss of resolution.

    Are the films you download and send as small as they could be? If not, is that something you have control over? The reason I ask is that if they can be smaller, I think you'd be surprised at the smalll amount of bandwidth you could get by with.

    In the end, no matter that connection you can regionally, as soon as you leave Nicaragua on the network, you're going to notice the slowdown.

  20. #20
    TRN Surgeon General El Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    La Gran Nada, Departamento Granada
    Posts
    5,638
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdial View Post
    You damn users and your "needs"

    Let me ask you this; I know you guys need resolution to pinpoint the little things that kill us, but when you download films, are they as small as they can be? In other words, I spend a lot of time banging my web designers in the head every time I find a jpeg that is 700k, when it can be resized to 50k without any noticeable loss of resolution.

    Are the films you download and send as small as they could be? If not, is that something you have control over? The reason I ask is that if they can be smaller, I think you'd be surprised at the smalll amount of bandwidth you could get by with.

    In the end, no matter that connection you can regionally, as soon as you leave Nicaragua on the network, you're going to notice the slowdown.
    Most of the things I've found use avi files with Xvid compression, so the average motion picture/full-length documentary/UFC fight is somewhere around 1.4GB. I'm sure you could make it smaller, but that's about where everything is. I think the idea is to make them fit on 2 CDs. I've seen smaller stuff around 300MB that looks okay on my iPod but they're real grainy on the computer monitor.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    Most of the things I've found use avi files with Xvid compression, so the average motion picture/full-length documentary/UFC fight is somewhere around 1.4GB. I'm sure you could make it smaller, but that's about where everything is. I think the idea is to make them fit on 2 CDs. I've seen smaller stuff around 300MB that looks okay on my iPod but they're real grainy on the computer monitor.
    I'm talking about medical films, not feature films. I was assuming your demand for lots of bandwidth was work related.

  22. #22
    TRN Surgeon General El Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    La Gran Nada, Departamento Granada
    Posts
    5,638
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdial View Post
    I'm talking about medical films, not feature films. I was assuming your demand for lots of bandwidth was work related.
    Ah, I thought you were addressing the group in general. I don't have any control over the compression my clients use. For my purposes, I could get away with jpegs, but they use files that are intended for use on very sophisticated imaging systems. They use DICOM systems in the hospitals and don't do any processing of the files before they send them to me. They are practially bitmaps with little (none?) compression. Also, many of the files (MRIs, CT scans, ultrasounds) are really very high resolution video files as they are stored so that they can be reconstructed in 3 dimensions.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Similar Threads

  1. New Ferry to Ometepe
    By tresfrijoles in forum Today, in Nicaragua...
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 03:49 PM
  2. Ometepe volcanic activity
    By Lisa in forum Today, in Nicaragua...
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 08:02 PM
  3. Ometepe, Online Magazine
    By tresfrijoles in forum Tourism Activities and General Travel Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 03:12 PM
  4. Ometepe
    By tresfrijoles in forum Tourism Activities and General Travel Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2007, 11:14 AM
  5. Ometepe hotels?
    By austinreed in forum Transportation and Lodging
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 09:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Also visit the False Bluff Blog!