Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New product

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default New product

Has anyone has tried the magic Jack for International calls and vice versa??
    I just seen said product on tv,they claim it will work anywhere in the world there is internet connection.

Full info here www.magicjack.com

All you computer experts,please give me your intake on this,they say I can send one to Nicaragua and have one here,the folks in Nicaragua can call anywhere in the US and Canada for FREE(actually for $19.95 a year) and anyone from the UScan call that local (from where ever you live and bought the product/number)number in Nicaragua for FREE as well.

This would save us a ton of money,considering our company spends over $160 a month on calls to the U.S.A plus an additional $200 a month I spend on my US end.
    Somehow,it seems to good to be true thou.

Default i have seen that add

for $20, i'd give it a try. have also heard skype works....
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

Looks like a regular old VOIP service. I don't know about that particular company, but I use Vonage. I do a lot of long distance calling for business, so I couldn't afford the regular landline rates.

I pay $20 a month for unlimited calls to the U.S., Canada, Spain, and most parts of the EU. The long distance rates are really cheap, too. I pay around $0.04 per minute to Nica, $0.03 to Argentina, and $0.02 to the U.K. It's actually cheaper for me to call Mexico City from my U.S. VOIP line than it is to call from my home phone in Baja California.

My clients never know where I'm calling from. The running joke is to ask me what beach I'm on when they call. Also, I have incoming numbers in the U.S., Mexico and Spain ($5 per month for each additional incoming number). With the USB device and headsets, I used it in Granada and Managua over the hotel WiFi network and it worked fine. At home, I have a little box that plugs into my router that works with my regular phone.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    for $20, i'd give it a try. have also heard skype works....
    I use Skype on my 3G cell phone. The quality isn't that great, but considering what Carlos Slim charges for long distance, it's worth it.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

Also, I should add that it all depends on your bandwidth. I have a 2MB connection over a DSL line at home and it works fine (as long as iTunes isn't downloading podcasts). I've used it on connections as slow as 128K without any problems, but you can't be doing anything else with the connection during a call or it will start to get choppy.

I've noticed that it doesn't work as well over cable lines because of latency issues. Satellite is absolutely useless as there is too much delay in the signal. It also works well using my cell phone as a modem over the 3G network.

Dave's not here man... MicroWISP's Avatar
    Texas, it's like a whole 'nother country.

Default Magic Jack

FCM, they work great. If you have a broadband connection with low latency.

Try this please for a test of your connection:

Open a command prompt window on tour computer ( go to run and type cmd in most cases )

at the flashing cursor type ping www.magicjack.com

Let me know your ping times in ms, for example checking mine I get an average ping time of 24ms, which is pretty quick. If your ping times are over 200ms I would not want to try it myself. If you are 100ms or better and you have at least a 128kbps connection then go for it!

Hope that helps! By the way, anyone thinking of using any VOIP connection can pretty much use this as a guideline too.
    "Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it."

Blog Entries

47 ms.

Default can you

Quote Originally Posted by MicroWISP View Post

Open a command prompt window on tour computer ( go to run and type cmd in most cases )

Let me know your ping times in ms, for example checking mine I get an average ping time of 24ms, which is pretty quick. If your ping times are over 200ms I would not want to try it myself. If you are 100ms or better and you have at least a 128kbps connection then go for it!

Hope that helps! By the way, anyone thinking of using any VOIP connection can pretty much use this as a guideline too.
    can you translate that very slowly to english?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

Default mine

45 MS here in the US, on gonna try at the factory's turbonett connection and will post the results.
    Thanks MicroWISP, yuDa main Man

Quote Originally Posted by MicroWISP View Post

Blog Entries

Default go to

bottom,left hand corner press Start, then RUN, in that tab type CMD, then press enter, then a black screen will appear, there type ping (then space) www.magicjack.com then enter, and it will spit out your MS results .

Blog Entries

Default Thanks Everyone

That Responded,I appreciate that

I'm witlh you DD! Hey John... maybe we can make sunday "Greek Day" because that's what all this is to me!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Default thanks to fcm and microwisp

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    bottom,left hand corner press Start, then RUN, in that tab type CMD, then press enter, then a black screen will appear, there type ping (then space) www.magicjack.com then enter, and it will spit out your MS results .
    fcm, you da man! bc you translated computer to english: 53ms! Is 53ms good enough to magicjack.com?

I got 61ms. Interesting subject, as my dad had called me last week wondering about the Magic Jack. I never did check into it, though. Thanks, MicroWisp! Hey, you can be the resident super-hero!!!

I hear a lot of customer dissatisfaction after the sale. The word on the street (tech street) is that they are overwhelmed after a very successful marketing campaign, and are facing capacity and staffing issues.

Blog Entries

Default glad I

was able to help, and thanks for thanking,often times people take that for granted.

fcm, you da man! bc you translated computer to english: 53ms! Is 53ms good enough to magicjack.com?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    I'm witlh you DD! Hey John... maybe we can make sunday "Greek Day" because that's what all this is to me!
    Ok, any Greeks (or geeks) out there want to take the Sunday shift? 'Cause I ain't neither one.

Default Sunday shift

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Ok, any Greeks (or geeks) out there want to take the Sunday shift? 'Cause I ain't neither one.

Count me in for the Sunday Shift guys, but I might miss a Sunday here and there... Trying to get away from all that structure and timeline stuff, not run to it.

Thunderdial said: I hear a lot of customer dissatisfaction after the sale. The word on the street (tech street) is that they are overwhelmed after a very successful marketing campaign, and are facing capacity and staffing issues.

You are very correct on the customer service problems, but the product is pretty solid. I guess this is one of those deals that is great "As long as I never have to call Tech - Support." Hopefully they will get past the growth spurt quickly.

Default Good ping time

53ms is fine for Magic Jack or any other internet phone product. Give it a try DD!

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    This would save us a ton of money,considering our company spends over $160 a month on calls to the U.S.A plus an additional $200 a month I spend on my US end.
    Somehow,it seems to good to be true thou.
    FCM, I have a friend in Jinotepe that uses a similar product. He picked a Georgia phone number for his device. Last week we talked for over 2 hours working on a project for the 'Ministry of Health' in Nica. (Linking up 6 districts and all clinics via large wireless network) Phone call cost me and him $0.00 each as we were both "in the US", even though we were not. You should give one of these products a try.

With a magicjack, your computer must be on and connected to the internet in order for your phone to ring if someone calls you, otherwise the call goes to voicemail. With Vonage and other similar product that use a SIP router, your computer does not have to be on to use your phone, but your internet connection must be connected. Figure out which way works better for you and stop paying that $360.00 per month! You should be spending no more than $50.00 per month. That covers two Vonage numbers and two SIP routers, one in the US and one in Nica. Let me know if you want help setting this up.

I was just thinking as I was typing that it has all come full circle now... It used to be that you had to have a phone line to use the internet and that your computer had to tie up that line when you were online. Now with the magicjack you have to have a computer to have a phone and you must leave the computer on for the phone to work... interesting.

Seriously, if anyone wants assistance setting up VOIP (Voice over IP) to save some $$ on phone bills please let me know and I will try to help. You can send email to techsupport@arroyonet.net if you like, or contact me through the board.

Have a great day!

I have been using my magic jack for about a year now. Had a few problems with it in the beging just used the site help and push the magicfi button and all was good. Then after about 6 months started to have alittle trouble and then it staightened out, i guess it must of been the over load issue.All is good now , my wife talks to her mom in port who is on a cell phone for .17 cents a min.. The only issue i have is that i need to leave on the computer if i want to use it as a regular phone and there was not a lot of area codes to pick from . RIGHT NOW WE have a miami number.Oh by the way 75ms

Blog Entries

Default Vonage

My wife just had a vonage phone set up for us in the states. I think she said it saves us $30 per month on our cable tv/internet/phone package. She calls long distance a lot, and she needed a phone package to include unlimited long distance. We have had this for about a week or so. The only problem is that I seem to notice my internet connection hangs up or slows down once in awhile (while the phone is not in use). It has not been enough for me to want her to put it back though. I never use the phone when I am at home, but when she calls me at work I talk to her on it and it sounds like a regular phone call. I would have never done this if it were not for her. $30 a month discount would not normally be enough of a discount for me to change a phone number. But then I am in the states and my circumstances are different than a lot of you. A big change I may be making soon is a Blackberry. I am hearing a lot about these things lately and the price is coming down. I was in a meeting once when one of the members made a call to someone that was not there. He switched it to speaker phone and set it on the table and we all able to participate in the phone call.

You can go to your Vonage account online and adjust the bandwidth to your needs.

I love Vonage! I used to get so cranky when I had to pay the BellSouth, (now AT&T) bill every month. I was paying $90 basic service and long distance with voice mail and a fax. Now I pay $25 with Vonage. You can take your Vonage number with you to Nicaragua. You can get e-mails with the text of your voicemail messages. It is solving what was once a problem for those living abroad.
    Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    A big change I may be making soon is a Blackberry. I am hearing a lot about these things lately and the price is coming down. I was in a meeting once when one of the members made a call to someone that was not there. He switched it to speaker phone and set it on the table and we all able to participate in the phone call.
    Check out the iPhone as well. It does everything a Blackberry does, it just does it better.

btw, don't even consider one of the Windows Mobile devices. I'm ready to chuck this POS into Cocibolca!

I can take my majic jack anywhere i go and only pay 19.95 A YEAR with voice mail, call foward, and email notification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast