Thread: Cookshow's Corn Island part 2

Blog Entries

Default Cookshow's Corn Island part 2

Rain

Just woke up to the sound of rain, it is 4:30am & while I was begging for some rain (starting to sound like a farmer) it is also a bit alarming, I have 500 or so seedlings that are not as well protected as they should be, needless to say I just made a very wet trip to cover plants, but looks like no major problems.This is the dry season here but it should be called the burning season, anything that can be lit & burned will be, some days you would swear the whole damn country is on fire. I am flying to Managua tomorrow & you will see smoke the whole way & can even smell it in the plane. The plants are coming on fine, the tiller is still not fixed, maybe manana (manana does not mean tomorrow, just not today).I stopped working yesterday around noon & went in the sea & then a siesta, I am going to do very little today or tomorrow, I have worked nonstop on this garden project since I arrived so I am going to take a little break & hit the ground running on Wednesday when the planting starts. Our watermelon patch has finished being plowed & then replowed once sea weed was put on the ground.

I started building cages & trellises out of cane the last few days,but it was turning out to be too time consuming for the number I will need. A friend has a lobster company & is in the process of building more traps (interesting to watch) he has lots of scrap & reject strips from the traps & I picked up the first of many loads yesterday. I have been keeping a detailed journal of the plantings & sprouting along with the other things associated with the garden & when I look at some of it I am amazed, we have done a mess of work in only 17 days. I hope that the next 2 weeks will be as productive, if so I will have 500 plants in the ground along with plenty of sweet corn, black bean, & other assorted seeds, & will have another 500 or so seeds planted in my nursery. My goal is to put at least 1000 plants & as many seeds in the ground before I leave next month.

The picture is some of the prototypes of the cages & trellises we are building, the others look much better (because someone else built them), I just built these to show what I had in mind, will send another picture when we go to full blown construction.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What picture? the only thing I see is you having a fine meal, were you in the RedLobster on the Island?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

invisible pic, I will post tomorrow, I must have screwed something up (what's new).

The meal in the picture was from last June in Athens, earlier that day I was tear gassed for the first time in my life. Never a boring moment.