Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 77

Thread: Petroglyph in SJDS

  1. #1
    Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
    Posts
    2,147

    Default Petroglyph in SJDS


    Ometepe and other islands of Lake Nicaragua are well know for its Petroglyphs but these were fun to finally see here in San Juan del Sur. I don't know any facts about them but will try to find out.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

  2. #2
    Fightin Irish JackMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Jinotepe, Carazo.... Nicaragua & OCMD
    Posts
    1,940

    Default

    Really interesting Dan.... looking forward to more info... thanks for posting this!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

  3. #3

    Default

    where in sjds was this one?

  4. #4
    Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
    Posts
    2,147

    Default

    It is just a little west and north of the Villas De Palermo. We rode to them on quads from Beach Front Rentals, they offer tours of the San Juan del Sur area. I was taking one of the tours to take promo photos.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

  5. #5

    Default yes,

    really nice

  6. #6
    Viejo del Foro El Greco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Miami,Kendall
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    It Looks like Mayan writing
    Dios es Amor!

  7. #7
    TRN Surgeon General El Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    La Gran Nada, Departamento Granada
    Posts
    5,638
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Weren't most of the indigenous people in the are essentially Mayan?

    Miskito is an official Mayan dialect. What about the others?
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

  8. #8

    Default

    I dunno, looks like a petrified dinosaur turd to me.

    But then again, I ain't no atropoloooooooooooogist

  9. #9
    Junkyard Dog randude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,148
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    I have seen these before. Fred Flintstone did it
    Survivor

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    Weren't most of the indigenous people in the are essentially Mayan?

    Miskito is an official Mayan dialect. What about the others?
    If the question is "mostly," then there are more indigenous Nicaraguans on the west coast. Nicaraguans are descendants of the Aztecs. I know it seems logical that they would be Mayan, and I guess only God knows for sure - but anthropologists agree they are Aztecs.

  11. #11
    Para aquí para acá Jonh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    16,362
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    I have seen these before. Fred Flintstone did it
    Translated, it reads, "Skateboarding is not a crime," in Aztec.

    I'm not 100% sure, but at the bottom, disappearing off the edge, it looks like it says, "www.TheRealNicar-" something. Not sure, though. The implication is clear, that Al Gore did not, in fact, invent the internet...

  12. #12

    Default

    No cafe presto alert!!!

  13. #13
    TRN Surgeon General El Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    La Gran Nada, Departamento Granada
    Posts
    5,638
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdial View Post
    If the question is "mostly," then there are more indigenous Nicaraguans on the west coast. Nicaraguans are descendants of the Aztecs. I know it seems logical that they would be Mayan, and I guess only God knows for sure - but anthropologists agree they are Aztecs.
    You're right. I always get the Mayan-Aztec thingy mixed up.

    I learned about this connection because we were looking for a nanny that speaks Nahuatl. I figured it would be good for the baby to learn a non-Latin-based language (the more languages you cram in there, the better the brain develops).

    There is a commission here in Mexico that is responsible for the preservation of native languages. Many native languages have been declared official languages within the republic (I think they're up to around 80 so far). Nahuatl is the most widely spoken indegenous language, existing in different dialects throughout Southern and Central Mexico. I have to admit, because it's not related to any language with which I'm familiar, it sounds mind-numbingly difficult.

    I was trying to track down some native speakers so I went down to the commission's office. I had just come back from Nicaragua and was chatting with the head-honcho guy about the trip (a gringo looking for a nanny who speaks Nahuatl is somewhat of an oddity, so naturally it sparks conversation). He mentioned that Miskito is also a dialect of Nahuatl and that he had been to Nicaragua recently for some sort of conference on indigenous languages. Apparently there's a similar commission in Nicaragua, but I can't remember the name.

    BTW, we're still looking for a nanny. Anyone know anyone in the Granada area that speaks fluent Miskito and is looking for work? The baby is right at that stage where she realizes words have meaning. She can't quite articulate them yet, but she's trying!
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danpolley View Post

    Ometepe and other islands of Lake Nicaragua are well know for its Petroglyphs but these were fun to finally see here in San Juan del Sur. I don't know any facts about them but will try to find out.
    Too clear. Multi-dimensional on surfaces that should have weathered and eroded in time - at least to the point some/most of it would be illegible. I'm calling it "Nouveau Aztec," or simply "fake." In the are of SJDS? My, what a coincidence for the TOURIST industry!!!

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdial View Post
    Too clear. Multi-dimensional on surfaces that should have weathered and eroded in time - at least to the point some/most of it would be illegible. I'm calling it "Nouveau Aztec," or simply "fake." In the are of SJDS? My, what a coincidence for the TOURIST industry!!!
    is that like that new Mayan looking temple they are building to the south of Laguna Tiscapa?! I suppose it will be a casino. :LMAO:

  16. #16
    Junkyard Dog randude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,148
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    I like all that Mayan-Aztec stuff. Those guys knew how to party
    Survivor

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3 frijoles View Post
    is that like that new Mayan looking temple they are building to the south of Laguna Tiscapa?! I suppose it will be a casino. :LMAO:
    I know, I know. Nicarao is rolling over in his grave.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    I like all that Mayan-Aztec stuff. Those guys knew how to party
    Hardcore. "Hey, let's play throw the round thing through the round hole, and the loser DIES!!!! Ok, I'm in.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    You're right. I always get the Mayan-Aztec thingy mixed up.

    I learned about this connection because we were looking for a nanny that speaks Nahuatl. I figured it would be good for the baby to learn a non-Latin-based language (the more languages you cram in there, the better the brain develops).

    There is a commission here in Mexico that is responsible for the preservation of native languages. Many native languages have been declared official languages within the republic (I think they're up to around 80 so far). Nahuatl is the most widely spoken indegenous language, existing in different dialects throughout Southern and Central Mexico. I have to admit, because it's not related to any language with which I'm familiar, it sounds mind-numbingly difficult.

    I was trying to track down some native speakers so I went down to the commission's office. I had just come back from Nicaragua and was chatting with the head-honcho guy about the trip (a gringo looking for a nanny who speaks Nahuatl is somewhat of an oddity, so naturally it sparks conversation). He mentioned that Miskito is also a dialect of Nahuatl and that he had been to Nicaragua recently for some sort of conference on indigenous languages. Apparently there's a similar commission in Nicaragua, but I can't remember the name.

    BTW, we're still looking for a nanny. Anyone know anyone in the Granada area that speaks fluent Miskito and is looking for work? The baby is right at that stage where she realizes words have meaning. She can't quite articulate them yet, but she's trying!
    Be careful with Wikipedia, one day Nicaragua is Mayan, then Aztec, then Irish, then Greek...

  20. #20
    Junkyard Dog randude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,148
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdial View Post
    Be careful with Wikipedia, one day Nicaragua is Mayan, then Aztec, then Irish, then Greek...

    The Nicas go that Greek Route? Damn


    [YT]uZIfyXc8RWk[/YT]
    Survivor

  21. #21

    Default

    Some studies seem to indicate that the inhabitants of Nicaragua were neither Mayan or Aztec, but nomadic tribes from Venezuela. Paya, Seco....yadayada. Mayan did occupy much of Guatemala, while the Aztec were centered in Mexico.

    Of interest in reading is Aztec by Gary Jennings....a historical novel of the Aztec.

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    [yt]uZIfyXc8RWk[/yt]
    WTF? Why does a video that attempts to explain the Mayan calendar open up with a photo of the Inca ruins at Machu Picchu? It's no wonder the world is kicking our ass in science and engineering education, when we can't get simple geography facts straight.

  23. #23
    Junkyard Dog randude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,148
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Hey Thunderdial, I was hoping none of you would notice the Very Famous Inca Ruins there. You wrecked it. Thanks.
    Survivor

  24. #24

    Default

    What kind of percentage of Native blood is still in most Nicaraguans?

    Most Nicaraguans I know including my wife have last names that are 100% Spanish, and even looking at the family tree going back several generations the names remain Spanish.

    I see some people with physical traits which might be related to the Native people of these lands, each particular region of Nicaragua's people have a particular trait.

    Wonder if there are any real studies of this out there (relating mostly to Nicaraguans)?

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3 frijoles View Post
    What kind of percentage of Native blood is still in most Nicaraguans?

    Most Nicaraguans I know including my wife have last names that are 100% Spanish, and even looking at the family tree going back several generations the names remain Spanish.

    I see some people with physical traits which might be related to the Native people of these lands, each particular region of Nicaragua's people have a particular trait.

    Wonder if there are any real studies of this out there (relating mostly to Nicaraguans)?
    That's a good question. I convinced that my wife has 0% Spanish in her. 100% Nica. One day I'll post a photo and you can decide.

    Someone correct me, but didn't the Spanish "issue" Spanish names to the Indians? You know, as a part of the indoctrination and Christ thing?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. murder in sjds
    By Dr. Demento in forum Today, in Nicaragua...
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2008, 12:25 PM
  2. SJDS - oop$
    By tresfrijoles in forum Today, in Nicaragua...
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 12:43 AM
  3. me and a sjds sunset
    By Dr. Demento in forum Nicaragua Scrapbook
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-28-2007, 05:52 PM
  4. is there a glut in sjds?
    By Dr. Demento in forum Housing and Real Estate
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 08:12 PM
  5. a condo at sjds
    By Dr. Demento in forum Housing and Real Estate
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 10:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Also visit the False Bluff Blog!