Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Boat to Corn Islands

  1. #1
    Active TRN Member Dolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania/Nicarag
    Posts
    196
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Boat to Corn Islands

    Someone told me there is a new FAST boat from the mainland to the Islands. Is it true? If so where does it leave from and when? How long does it take and how much is it?
    It's all part of the adventure!!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In Between Managua, Nicaragua and Doral, Florida
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    New boat! Maybe the one that sank was replaced, anyone have info on this?
    NOW Watch this thread turn into how to cook crab cake---?

  3. #3
    Junkyard Dog randude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,148
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    You ever notice that when you have an allergy you snot is clear, but when you have an infection is colored. I have heard Yellow, green, and in some cases yellowish green with red?
    Survivor

  4. #4
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,219
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    You ever notice that when you have an allergy you snot is clear, but when you have an infection is colored. I have heard Yellow, green, and in some cases yellowish green with red?

    Randude....:LMAO:......

    But getting back to Dolly's question......

    My preferences is going onboard the "Captian D with Capt. Norman Downs...

    Taking into consideration,

    1... I want a fairly comfortable trip and his vessel meets those requirements.....

    2 Any "Fast Boat" in the open Ocean which 80% of the time is a 10 to 20 knot wind and 4 foot seas.....

    Will not only put a bit of salt in your eyes, but give your kidneys a sound pounding.......

    I prefer the slower but less stressful on my body "Trip" that this vessel makes to Corn Island and Colombia Islands......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  5. #5
    Fightin Irish JackMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Jinotepe, Carazo.... Nicaragua & OCMD
    Posts
    1,934

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Randude....:LMAO:......

    But getting back to Dolly's question......

    My preferences is going onboard the "Captian D with Capt. Norman Downs...

    Taking into consideration,

    1... I want a fairly comfortable trip and his vessel meets those requirements.....

    2 Any "Fast Boat" in the open Ocean which 80% of the time is a 10 to 20 knot wind and 4 foot seas.....

    Will not only put a bit of salt in your eyes, but give your kidneys a sound pounding.......

    I prefer the slower but less stressful on my body "Trip" that this vessel makes to Corn Island and Colombia Islands......
    "Hard, fast, wet and wild.... pounding and grinding against the flow of things".....Sounds to me like a young man's ride!

    "Slow, rhythmic and in harmony with the natural motion of things. Taking it all in and paying attention to each reaction and movement."
    The older more experienced rider's preference!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

  6. #6
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,219
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    "Hard, fast, wet and wild.... pounding and grinding against the flow of things".....Sounds to me like a young man's ride!

    "Slow, rhythmic and in harmony with the natural motion of things. Taking it all in and paying attention to each reaction and movement."
    The older more experienced rider's preference!

    Ahhh you got it YAK.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  7. #7
    Para aquí para acá Jonh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    17,611
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Wet and wild, pounding and salty, describes my one round trip by panga from Big to Little. (Corn Island, you pervs.)

  8. #8
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,219
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Wet and wild, pounding and salty, describes my one round trip by panga from Big to Little. (Corn Island, you pervs.)
    :LMAO:...Now if you had not made that last little comment, one of those famous one liners from a doublewide in Hicksville.....

    I would not be laughing right now....:LMAO:
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  9. #9
    Active TRN Member renco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Poneloya, Nicaragua
    Posts
    514

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Take the "Captain D". Yes the other is a little faster, but Captain Norman Downs despite his eccentricities gets the people and cargo to the island with the minimum wear and tear even in the worst weather. Lest we forget, the Christmas high season is usually accompanied by wicked north winds which toss smaller boats around like corks in the spin cycle of Maytag washer. Plus you may get the experience of sharing the deck with live cattle, hogs and chickens on the high seas. A slice of medieval life for the price of a boat ride.
    You'll excuse me, gentlemen. Your business is politics, mine is running a saloon.
    Casablanca-1942

  10. #10
    Para aquí para acá Jonh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    17,611
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Quote Originally Posted by renco View Post
    Take the "Captain D". Yes the other is a little faster, but Captain Norman Downs despite his eccentricities gets the people and cargo to the island with the minimum wear and tear even in the worst weather. Lest we forget, the Christmas high season is usually accompanied by wicked north winds which toss smaller boats around like corks in the spin cycle of Maytag washer. Plus you may get the experience of sharing the deck with live cattle, hogs and chickens on the high seas. A slice of medieval life for the price of a boat ride.
    I'm sold!

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In Between Managua, Nicaragua and Doral, Florida
    Posts
    190

    Default Boat to Corn Islands

    "Captain D". and Captain Norman Downs"

    Is Norman still running an ex USCG Bouytender?
    I met Norman in Miami, actually when he and his newly purchased USCG Bouytender was trying to leave south Florida without a USCG certified crew into international waters. He was detained and returned to the Miami port and was in some pretty hot water when we went to visit him on a Sunday morning. Captain Arturo Mohrke, got his fine dropped with his friends at the local Coast Guard station. Arturo was the last Captain for the Sea Mist II that delivered Cargo to Nicaragua from the Miami River (Bermuth lines)

    I took the last trip that Ship made (M/V SEA MISTII) to Nicaragua. Miami River-San Andres-El Bluff-Rama-Bluefield Harbor-Puerto Cabezas-Miami

  12. #12
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,219
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Quote Originally Posted by JGiraldezB View Post
    "Captain D". and Captain Norman Downs"

    Is Norman still running an ex USCG Bouytender?
    I met Norman in Miami, actually when he and his newly purchased USCG Bouytender was trying to leave south Florida without a USCG certified crew into international waters. He was detained and returned to the Miami port and was in some pretty hot water when we went to visit him on a Sunday morning. Captain Arturo Mohrke, got his fine dropped with his friends at the local Coast Guard station. Arturo was the last Captain for the Sea Mist II that delivered Cargo to Nicaragua from the Miami River (Bermuth lines)

    I took the last trip that Ship made (M/V SEA MISTII) to Nicaragua. Miami River-San Andres-El Bluff-Rama-Bluefield Harbor-Puerto Cabezas-Miami
    You are a bit behind times Sweetheart, Capt. Norman has been working here for years.....

    The "Sea Mist" got caught with a barrel of "White Snappers" (read this Drugs).....

    And her permission to enter the States denied......

    Where she is working now I do not know.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  13. #13
    Junkyard Dog randude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,148
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Anyone have a good recipe for crab cake?
    Survivor

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In Between Managua, Nicaragua and Doral, Florida
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    I never said it was yesterday, (Sweetheart) this might get weird now?
    I just remember the Bouytender and the name...
    and all I wanted to know is that is this the ship he is using.
    The SeaMist was last seen (by me) on the Miami River after that trip.
    Maybe the barrel came back to Miami with me onboard. (It was crab cake )

    About not allowing her (The Sea Mist) back in ? well makes no sense...she was docked on the river for a year or so after that.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In Between Managua, Nicaragua and Doral, Florida
    Posts
    190

    Default Nicaragua on Fox news

    Oh boy, all I hear out of my TV set while writing is Nicaragua, Nicaragua, Nicaragua, Daniel Ortega, Nicaragua, Obama, Hugo Chavez, Nicaragua, oh boy

  16. #16
    Para aquí para acá Jonh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    17,611
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    Anyone have a good recipe for crab cake?
    Yak? Isn't your neck of the woods famous for that?

  17. #17
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,219
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Heysuschristy Randude fish cakes are the same just make substitutions with the fish with crab......

    Google it man, but YAK now he can get hold of some of that there "Old Bay" seasoning and with that you can take a cow pattie and make it "Fit" to eat.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  18. #18
    Para aquí para acá Jonh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    17,611
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Now there's an ad campaign I'd like to see:

    "Old Bay Seasoning. Makes a cow pattie fit to eat!"

  19. #19

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    crab cakes. fine dice red peppers and onion about 3/4c. each
    2c. bread crumb
    old bay 1/4tsp.
    pinch or two cayene
    salt to taste
    ice pick
    mirror
    take the mirror place between legs
    use ice pick to stab crabs when they jump out then mix all together form to cakes and fry to golden brown

  20. #20
    Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
    Posts
    2,146

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    :LMAO:
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling man View Post
    crab cakes. fine dice red peppers and onion about 3/4c. each
    2c. bread crumb
    old bay 1/4tsp.
    pinch or two cayene
    salt to taste
    ice pick
    mirror
    take the mirror place between legs
    use ice pick to stab crabs when they jump out then mix all together form to cakes and fry to golden brown
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

  21. #21
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,219
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Quote Originally Posted by travelling man View Post
    crab cakes. fine dice red peppers and onion about 3/4c. each
    2c. bread crumb
    old bay 1/4tsp.
    pinch or two cayene
    salt to taste
    ice pick
    mirror
    take the mirror place between legs
    use ice pick to stab crabs when they jump out then mix all together form to cakes and fry to golden brown
    I might have figgured you was gonna put some kind of Chilli in it somewhere......:LMAO:
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  22. #22
    Fightin Irish JackMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Jinotepe, Carazo.... Nicaragua & OCMD
    Posts
    1,934

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Yak? Isn't your neck of the woods famous for that?
    Absolutely, but as a Philly boy originally, I could better tell you about cheese steaks that crab cakes.... or better yet ... Tasty Kakes!!!!

    All I can say about crap cakes is... the less filler the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

  23. #23
    Fightin Irish JackMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Jinotepe, Carazo.... Nicaragua & OCMD
    Posts
    1,934

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Heysuschristy Randude fish cakes are the same just make substitutions with the fish with crab......

    Google it man, but YAK now he can get hold of some of that there "Old Bay" seasoning and with that you can take a cow pattie and make it "Fit" to eat.....
    :LMAO:

    JW... you hit the nail right square on the friggin head!!!!!!!!! The Maryland Eastern Shore people put that gaddam Old Bay on anything and everything that has stopped moving and then they eat it. And I wouldn't rule out cow patties!!!!!!!!

    You let me know if you can't get Old Bay down there and I will bring you some next trip!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

  24. #24
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,219
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    :LMAO:

    JW... you hit the nail right square on the friggin head!!!!!!!!! The Maryland Eastern Shore people put that gaddam Old Bay on anything and everything that has stopped moving and then they eat it. And I wouldn't rule out cow patties!!!!!!!!

    You let me know if you can't get Old Bay down there and I will bring you some next trip!
    Please... Bring it.....My stock has run out....it even helps Gallo Pinto...:LMAO:
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  25. #25

    Default Re: Boat to Corn Islands

    the old bay will help tame the nad taste of the crabs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Boat rental on Little Corn?
    By Pedro in forum Transportation and Lodging
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 04:25 PM
  2. The Corn Islands
    By marlies in forum Links
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 11:24 AM
  3. Wildlife on the Corn Islands
    By ant0328 in forum Tourism Activities and General Travel Issues
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
  4. Land on the Corn Islands
    By wyatt.jamin@gmail.com in forum Housing and Real Estate
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-27-2007, 05:41 PM
  5. The Corn Islands
    By marlies in forum Links
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 08:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Also visit the False Bluff Blog!