Thread: USA Working Visas

Blog Entries

Default USA Working Visas

Yesterday I was talking to one of the production managers. He mentioned that we were going to be hurting for help by the end of the month and that hurt will be lasting for at least two months. We have a large Mexican work force and these guys are ALL going back to Mexico at the end of November. They can only work 10 months of the year here.

Visa law baffles me and I can't really stand to read that sort of thing. Maybe someone can help.

What I don't know is why ALL of our Mexican work force goes to Mexico at the same time. Is there a period in time that they follow or did my company make an error and not stagger the large group into smaller groups?

At any rate, we will be hurting for help for two months at the end of the month. The jobs that will be impacted are welding, grinding, and perhaps others in a ship yard.

Here is the company website if someone you know may need a job and want to work in SW Louisiana. www.leevac.com
    Survivor

Hard to get help in the Holidays with seasonable workers
    Dios es Amor!

Blog Entries

Nicas do the same thing in December, it's tradition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Nicas do the same thing in December, it's tradition.

John and El Greco, Tradition? They just don't work, or they use their visa requirements to work around the holidays?

It must be nice to have a couple months off. Almost like school teachers. The thing is this is a good time of year to be working here. In the summer the heat is murder and I can only stand it for minutes at a time.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

They just don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    John and El Greco, Tradition? They just don't work, or they use their visa requirements to work around the holidays?

It must be nice to have a couple months off. Almost like school teachers. The thing is this is a good time of year to be working here. In the summer the heat is murder and I can only stand it for minutes at a time.
    I don't agree with that tradition, but that is just me. You have to work specially if Employers are good to you I've spent all my life working Holidays B-Days etc...
    Dios es Amor!

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default as far as I know

The Mexicans,that go back for the holidays are the illegal kind,most mexicans I've ever met,if they had a visa they would work 13 months in a year,almost like working 30 days in Feb.

Yesterday I was talking to one of the production managers. He mentioned that we were going to be hurting for help by the end of the month and that hurt will be lasting for at least two months. We have a large Mexican work force and these guys are ALL going back to Mexico at the end of November. They can only work 10 months of the year here.

Visa law baffles me and I can't really stand to read that sort of thing. Maybe someone can help.

What I don't know is why ALL of our Mexican work force goes to Mexico at the same time. Is there a period in time that they follow or did my company make an error and not stagger the large group into smaller groups?

At any rate, we will be hurting for help for two months at the end of the month. The jobs that will be impacted are welding, grinding, and perhaps others in a ship yard.

Here is the company website if someone you know may need a job and want to work in SW Louisiana. www.leevac.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    The Mexicans,that go back for the holidays are the illegal kind,most mexicans I've ever met,if they had a visa they would work 13 months in a year,almost like working 30 days in Feb.
    Nothing illegal going on like that here. We are straight up on everything.

I am going to follow up on this in the personel office.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Nothing illegal going on like that here. We are straight up on everything.

I am going to follow up on this in the personel office.
    Is there a shortage of welders, or just a shortage of welders who will work for a given wage? I suspect the latter. Louisianna is crawling with guys who know how to lay a bead (they even taught me, though my work was never up to my own inspection standards). When I worked the oilfields, welders were some of the best paid junior-high dropouts in the patch, especially the diving welders (and worth every penny).

There was a time when being good at something was enough to earn a living wage. What ever happened to the American Dream?
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    There was a time when being good at something was enough to earn a living wage. What ever happened to the American Dream?
    I think that's always been a myth. Good marketing always works, even when your skills are mediocre, it's only the starving artists that sit around waiting to be "discovered" for being good at something.

I knew of a railroad tank car repair shop in Texarkana, Arkansas. When they hired the Mexicans they told them to prepare to take their vacation during the Fall deer hunting season. The plant is closed down and everyone takes off to hunt. Deer hunting in Arkansas is serious business. The Mexicans go home.

Blog Entries

I think that's always been a myth. Good marketing always works, even when your skills are mediocre, it's only the starving artists that sit around waiting to be "discovered" for being good at something.
    I meant good at something useful. There was a time when a good welder could make a good middle-class living. Now they import them from Mexico. I think that has more to do with wages than Americans willingness to weld.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Default Re: USA Working Visas

I meant good at something useful. There was a time when a good welder could make a good middle-class living. Now they import them from Mexico. I think that has more to do with wages than Americans willingness to weld.
    I don't know, welders here make 75+ an hour, their not lighting the world on fire but they do well. We live in a small town so theres not room for anymore welders and that may be the secret.

Blog Entries

I sort of agree with John on this. I generally make more than people I know that are better qualified than myself in some specific areas. Don't get me wrong, I am the best ship board machinery control man that I have ever met. However, there is more electrical engineering to do on a new construction project (or repair or whatever). In the past few years I am doing other things too, but from a project management level. I rarely do any detailed engineering any more. I think the reason that I land good work and pay is that I convince people that I can handle anything they throw at me. I also think what helps is that I enjoy machinery and mechanical engineering as much as electrical engineering. About ten years ago I started to get bored doing the same kinds of things over and over and wanted to know more about machinery. At first it was just so that I understood the mechanical parameters for the sake of control, and then later learning to tweek mechanical parameters for efficient operation. I like to think of myself as a green engineer as I hate to waste energy.
    Last edited by randude; 11-15-2008 at 12:02 PM.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Is there a shortage of welders, or just a shortage of welders who will work for a given wage? I suspect the latter. Louisianna is crawling with guys who know how to lay a bead (they even taught me, though my work was never up to my own inspection standards). When I worked the oilfields, welders were some of the best paid junior-high dropouts in the patch, especially the diving welders (and worth every penny).

You know I do not know if it is only financial doc. The managers and leads that I talk to love the Mexicans and say they are the only ones here that actually want to work. I think that statement is code for, do what is required to be wanted as an employee.

I really like the Mexicans too. They all have lunch together under this shady oak tree in front of the engineering office. These guys always buy big hot lunches from the delievery trucks, a cajun food place that also sells burgers and what not. They all eat hearty and talk and laugh out there. I always try my Spanish on them and they are all pretty good guys and friendly. I do get the feeling that some may think that I am the man and they sort of go to work earlier when I am out there with them. That is so unfortunate, as I am anything but the boss to those guys.
    Survivor

You know I do not know if it is only financial doc. The managers and leads that I talk to love the Mexicans and say they are the only ones here that actually want to work. I think that statement is code for, do what is required to be wanted as an employee.

I really like the Mexicans too. They all have lunch together under this shady oak tree in front of the engineering office. These guys always buy big hot lunches from the delievery trucks, a cajun food place that also sells burgers and what not. They all eat hearty and talk and laugh out there. I always try my Spanish on them and they are all pretty good guys and friendly. I do get the feeling that some may think that I am the man and they sort of go to work earlier when I am out there with them. That is so unfortunate, as I am anything but the boss to those guys.
    Exactly, not to mention that Latino workers (crewmwmbers) are flat out dependable. They are generally family men and enjoy their work. Every time I try to bring on a local (Gringo) I get burned. You have to go looking for them before a trip in the bars or jail and it's more like an adoption than a hiring, I could go on and on but to suffice it to say nothing beats a crew that is upbeat and having fun as they work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bikingo View Post
    nothing beats a crew that is upbeat and having fun as they work.
    That's TRN! (Right?)