Thread: Movistar "3.5G"

Default Movistar "3.5G"

http://impreso.elnuevodiario.com.ni/...tactoend/89547

"Telefónica Movistar Nicaragua" announced last night the release of the new High Velocity Internet service (pre and post pay plans). This service will be available anywhere Movistar has a signal for their new "3.5G" service.

In order to utilize this service you must purchase a device that will connect to your computer and costs U$136 dollars plus IVA tax. This initial cost also comes with a chip that gives you a free 12 hours of internet service (however once you start the internet you must use it in one shot, as it begins count as soon as you begin and ends exactly 12 hours later). If the client would like more time they can simply buy buy 50 cordoba chips whic give 12 hours of internet use as stated above. They are saying that new chips for different time frames and the cost may change as they determine the demand.

For those that will use the Post-pay system, there are 2 plans. The first plan gives you unlimited internet use at a 256 kps, for a monthly cost of U$25 dollars (you must sign a 18 month contract, for new clients, the first 3 months are free and the device for connection is free as well).

The second plan is U$40 dollars a month, and operates at 512 kps which Movistar recomends for video download, making calls and uses of other applications with better clarity and velocity. (This plan can also be utilized by businesses which operate with more than 1 computer, they can purchase a router for U$245 dollars plus IVA tax)

Movistar says that this service does not defraud their clients and if a client has any problem they may contact *611, where they will take care of those issues.

Movistar is also negociating with businesses that sell computers to start offering packages with these Movistar Internet connections.

Default Re: Movistar "3.5G"

Good news! But how do you find out where the 3.5G service is available?
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    try searching through their website www.movistar.com.ni and maybe you can get someone to swing by a Movistar office.

I am now using Movistar 3.5G 512kbps in my house, it seems to be working better than expected as I borrowed a Claro 3.0G 512kbps USB card and it was a lot slower.

I just made a call to the US using skype and the first call was very broken up the second try was exceptionally clear.

the only thing that concerns me is how much downloading I will do, you get 4 gigs for free at 512kbps, and then you get unlimited after that for free at I think 128kbps. As you are on the internet there is a screen that will show you how much you have consumed, as in this image.

Uploading is unlimited supposedly, and its very quick.

The cost of this with a 12 month contract is U$40 a month plus IVA. You also get 2 months free, however the guy that wrote up my plan claims that I wont get a bill till my 4th month, so that means that its actually 3 months free. and the USB device is also free.

If you break this device they charge U$57 dollars for a new one, however if you get the PrePay No contract this device costs U$100.

I will let you all know how this works out.

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

moviestar sucks A$$, outside any city they operate on.
    Now if you dont travel much and stay within the city limits,moviestar is a great option,since they are cheaper and have better plans.
    you dont have to go far,outside the city limits to encounter a dead zone.
    thats why I love Claro, hell Claro has even signal way out in the booneducks,such as Asturias,Apanas.

Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    moviestar sucks A$$, outside any city they operate on.
    Now if you dont travel much and stay within the city limits,moviestar is a great option,since they are cheaper and have better plans.
    you dont have to go far,outside the city limits to encounter a dead zone.
    thats why I love Claro, hell Claro has even signal way out in the booneducks,such as Asturias,Apanas.
    I agree on Phone Service, we have Claro Cell Phones, but we do not have plans, everywhere we go with a few exceptions has signal, while friends of ours using Movistar have bad connections in many places.

We have a desktop computer and are in Managua... I tried the Claro 3G network on this computer and it was slow at 512, this Movistar 3.5G at 512 seems to be very fast though, actually faster than the internet cafe across the streets connection, and they have a 512 on a landline.

Blog Entries

However, Movistar worked out at El Coco, but there was no Claro signal.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

a miracle!!!

only because they have a tower in SJDS,and want to catter to the gringos,I am shocked you had no Claro signal at El Coco,since we get signal as far as El Naranjo(Past Ostional,bordering C.R)

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    However, Movistar worked out at El Coco, but there was no Claro signal.

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    a miracle!!!

only because they have a tower in SJDS,and want to catter to the gringos,I am shocked you had no Claro signal at El Coco,since we get signal as far as El Naranjo(Past Ostional,bordering C.R)
    Movistar works at Maderas Beach but not Claro. The last time I was down the Rio San Juan, only Claro worked. I think generally Claro works in many more places but Movistar is cheaper if it works in your area.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

This morning from 6:30-9:30 I could not connect to the internet, however now it seems to be working fine.

After the first 2 weeks or so of this 3.5G Movistar 512kbps internet, I have found that the internet calling does not work so good. Every once in a while I will get a very crisp call, but most of the time the calls are delayed by about 10 seconds, 10 long Mississippi seconds.

Webcam works fine, and instant messaging works great, internet browsing on the other hand varies, 1 day its quick and the next day its super slow.

There has only been 2 instances where I lost signal or there was no signal it lasted up to 3 hours, and there were 2 other days we were without internet the entire day, but that was because we did not have electricity.

I suppose this 3.5G is a good option if you don't want to install a landline or a tower, I am curious to know how the 3.5G 1gigabyte connection is, this is double the price at U$90 dollars a month. The U$29.99 connection they offer must be unbearable.

This is an Update on the Movistar 3.5G - 512kbps post pay plan, to this date I still have not recieved a bill, I thought we would get one in August even though the Sales rep said October (for the month of September). This plan is pretty good considering that you get so many months free for a 12 month contract. There has been a few days here and there that there is no internet connection, but for the most part its been available. Video Conferencing is slightly delayed even at 512, but not horrible. Voice is the only thing that gets me, there is to large of a delay for using it as a calling device. I am curious to know if the very expensive 1gig card is any better?

Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    I am now using Movistar 3.5G 512kbps in my house, it seems to be working better than expected as I borrowed a Claro 3.0G 512kbps USB card and it was a lot slower.

I just made a call to the US using skype and the first call was very broken up the second try was exceptionally clear.

the only thing that concerns me is how much downloading I will do, you get 4 gigs for free at 512kbps, and then you get unlimited after that for free at I think 128kbps. As you are on the internet there is a screen that will show you how much you have consumed, as in this image.

Uploading is unlimited supposedly, and its very quick.

The cost of this with a 12 month contract is U$40 a month plus IVA. You also get 2 months free, however the guy that wrote up my plan claims that I wont get a bill till my 4th month, so that means that its actually 3 months free. and the USB device is also free.

If you break this device they charge U$57 dollars for a new one, however if you get the PrePay No contract this device costs U$100.

I will let you all know how this works out.