Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airline Summary ... US to Managua

Blog Entries

Default Airline Summary ... US to Managua

American Airlines out of Miami to Managua * * * * www.aa.com
    Delta Airlines out of Atlanta and LA to Managua * www.delta.com
    Continental Airlines out of Houston to Managua * www.continental.com
    TACA Airlines out of Miami to Managua * * * * * * * www.taca.com
    Spirit Airlines out of Fort Lauderdale to Managua * www.spiritair.com/welcome
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Default Re: Airline Summary ... US to Managua

And don't forget those airlines that fly into Liberia, Costa Rica. Just a hop, skip and a jump up to Nicaragua from there. I have gotten steals to Chicago from CR...made the bus ride down and back (or even in car a few times) well worth it....

Although I must admit that MGA has become more competitive in the last 3 years or so. In other words, if there is a sale from SJO o LIR, more than likely there is one from MGA. It's good to check the three out....

If you fly in or out of SJO, you can always get a Grand Slam breakfast at the Denny's nearby.

Our Everlasting Love ! doming00's Avatar

Does anybody know the new TSA procedures from the airport in Managua or Costa Rica for screening of passengers. Cause I will object if I have to strip naked and bend over and spread them darn cheeks !!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doming00 View Post
    Does anybody know the new TSA procedures from the airport in Managua or Costa Rica for screening of passengers. Cause I will object if I have to strip naked and bend over and spread them darn cheeks !!
    I think that's optional.

How much is the bus ride and what is the border crossing like?

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by bradley40550 View Post
    How much is the bus ride and what is the border crossing like?
    Including the cost of a cab from the parada to the airport.

And how long does it take?

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

We have a new boarding area here in SJDS that doesn’t require spreading of the cheeks, but it is optional, the naked bit is monitored by Marie from BWDS.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Does anybody know the new TSA procedures

You mean you cant D/L off the web site any more (opps!!!)
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

We used to fly into Liberia, CR, then get the bus to the border. The bus was about $2 to the border from Liberia. Then, we'd walk across the border and catch the bus to Rivas. A taxi from Liberia to the border was about $25.

The border crossing was easy. Recently, though, we can't find cheap flights from the states to Liberia. The lowest price was $650 per person. MGA is much cheaper. In Sept. I flew into MGA on TACA for $350. In Dec. I flew into MGA on AA for $450. ( both were rt)

I'd prefer to fly into Liberia, CR, but it looks like MGA has gotten much more competitive with prices. Plus, now that I use a Paxeos shuttle from the airport to Granada, it is an easy trip.

In Dec. we didn't have to go through a full body scanner. There were lines for men and women, and we just received the gentle body pat down after they inspected our carry on bags.

How much does CR charge to land there, I know Nicaragua charges $5.00. What are the charges at the border and the bus to Rivas. Why do you prefer Liberia? I can fly there non-rev.

Blog Entries

Its a Topsy turvey world...

8 months ago Air Canada (And its associated points plan) had no idea that "MGA" existed and no amount of money (which I don't have) or points (which I do have) would get you there...

Then there was North worst... (Now Delta)

8 Months ago it and its points plan could get you to MGA seven ways to Sunday for only 35,000 points... Flights were $390 to $420 CDN cash if you choose..

FF to the past week...

Air Canada can get you to MGA with a reasonable amounts of (40,000) and a fair (by Toronto standards) $750 ish CDN.. But it is not called out on the system and menonity of "this day "-"no" That day "no" is mind numming..

Delta can not get you to MGA in under 16 hours or for less than 70,000 points per person... or $842... More than flying Air Canada (Which connects to the Continental flight below in Huston) from Toronto..

(BTW - If you have a Sept or Oct planed window Delta shows spaces for 35,000 points for Tues , Wed and Sunday in's and out's)

Continental is now "Just right" with a cash price of $449 CDN (All in) from Detroit

All the above is with respect to August..

Seems like a good deal....My round trip airfare from LGA NY, to Mga on American Airlines booked for the end of March/begining of april is $480.00, Almost a $100 more than I payed Last Year around the same time span...

Quote Originally Posted by bradley40550 View Post
    How much does CR charge to land there, I know Nicaragua charges $5.00. What are the charges at the border and the bus to Rivas. Why do you prefer Liberia? I can fly there non-rev.

The last time I came from CR to Nica, the charge was $2.00. Bus from there to Rivas can't be more than a dollar. I don't know what the landing fee is in CR as I have never flown into CR but my wife has. It would have been cheaper for me for her to have flown into MGA, as I had to pay hotel and bus fare and other things to get her to the airport to fly into PC.

I work for the travel industry and I notice that Air Canada is actually offering a lot of good fares to asia and europe. As for the flights to MGA nothing beats Continental and TACA. Flights from LAX on Continental are also $449.00USD but you also have to remember the extra $30.00 charge per bag so 2 bags round trip $120.00 and TACA is about $650.00 with no charge for bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I work for the travel industry and I notice that Air Canada is actually offering a lot of good fares to asia and europe. As for the flights to MGA nothing beats Continental and TACA. Flights from LAX on Continental are also $449.00USD but you also have to remember the extra $30.00 charge per bag so 2 bags round trip $120.00 and TACA is about $650.00 with no charge for bags.
    Ziggy, is that Cdn$650 from Toronto to MGA includes everything meaning tax airport fees etc.?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by posrp View Post
    Ziggy, is that Cdn$650 from Toronto to MGA includes everything meaning tax airport fees etc.?
    When I last checked (Mar 15) AC was $867ppsn all fees and taxes in...

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    When I last checked (Mar 15) AC was $867ppsn all fees and taxes in...

Is that from Toronto - Miami - MGA on AC all the way?
    I don't think AC flies to MGA, right?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Is that from Toronto - Miami - MGA on AC all the way?
    I don't think AC flies to MGA, right?

Thanks
    AC connects to Continental in Huston actually ... AC only picked up MGA as a destination after Continental joined Star Alliance last October...

You can save a good 50% per ticket flying out of Detroit if you are on the west side of Toronto and if you are in the east end check out Montreal rates, It is the fees of that hulking new terminal 1 that put a good $100 - $150 on each Ticket...

When I checked on the 15th AA (which flies via Miami) was only $386 ($420 something Canadian with all taxes) from Detroit...

Parking in Detroit is far cheaper than Toronto as well

====Edit-=====

This AM's search shows TACA through Miami (Expedia) for AC... So spin the wheel of flights and see what comes up...
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 04-05-2010 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post

Parking in Detroit is far cheaper than Toronto as well
    Thanks "bill_bly_ca".
    If I don't want to drive my car from TO to Detroit are there any easy cheap road transport to Detroit or Buffalo that you know of?

Blog Entries

Thanks "bill_bly_ca".
    If I don't want to drive my car from TO to Detroit are there any easy cheap road transport to Detroit or Buffalo that you know of?
    I only know of Red Carpet out of Guelph and Airways here 200' from the offices where I work (Waterloo) ... A quick check of both websites show nothing to DTW...

These guys (Windsor) seem too... https://reservation.robertq.com/airbus/ Select Toronto airport and Detroit airport with your times and see what happens...

Much thanks bill_bly_ca.

Blog Entries

DTW to MGA Aug 1 2010

Flight to Detroit from Huston was uneventful. 2.5 hrs in a 50 seat Embrair is just about the time limit for such a small plane. A snack pac and drinks offered.

Luggage check was painless as we were 2nd in line.. I was also Gob-smacked that my old AC elite status came up.. This meant we could each take 2 bags without a second bag charge.. We were up $60 before the day started . I used to fly to asia a lot to install inspection machines but since the world economy dumped 2 years ago I have gone mostly nowhere and was sure as shoot'n that all my statuses with all the airlines was expired.. Who knew..

Terminal #1 in Detroit is not the ugly dilapidated hole that greeted us in 2005 either.. It is a new state of the art building that is bright, cheery and with full amenities.

Flight from Hustom to MGA was uneventful as well save for the busting at the seams of the cabin carry bags . Departure was 7 min late and Arival was 1 min off. With the old airline status our bags were one of the first batch of 15 bags on the belt. Boeing 737

Word of warning (Dad told me this after he arrived) DO NOT CROSS AT THE SARNIA BLUE WATER BRIDGE.... It is a training crossing..

Now our border guard.. Bless her heart.. Is a real trooper but she could single handedly impact the productivity numbers of Canada and the US.. She spent about 7 min with us and the 10 people in front of (regardless of the plate on the vehicle) She was plesent but also a bit too diligent.

When mentioning this to my Dad later in he told me where he went to a greenhouse show in northern Michigan last year and the fellow in the group of 4 had a Dutch passport ( although residing in Canada for 40 yrs and with a valid visa) was questioned for over an hour before the group could pass.

Parking was a breeze with one of the local airport "Park, sleep, fly" deals which all tolled should be $10 /day all included.

Flight cost was $447CDN ea all fees and taxes booked in Mar for Aug departure

Blog Entries

Forgot to post ours.

Taca from Orlando to Managua with one stop in San Salvador to change planes:
    On time, friendly service, no lost luggage.

Taca return trip, same itinerary:
    On time, friendly service, no lost luggage.

They served sandwiches and the new planes have video screens on the back of the seat.

Since we don't live in Orlando, what we did was parked our car at an outside remote lot. My brother lives close by, so we left him a key and he drove it to his house while we were in Nicaragua. On our return, he did the reverse and left it a day or two ahead of our arrival. That way the parking cost was minimized.

Blog Entries

MGA to DTW Aug 19 2010

As always being away for almost 3 weeks has left me with 4.5 weeks of catch up work.. But I need a 10 min mental break

The departure was 6:55 and because of the previous nite's libation the miss-us was less than alert and cheery so arrival at the airport was @ 5:30

Line went quickly (we were the last ones in line.. ) and the airline status saved me again.. Bag #1 was 6 lbs over, bag #2 was 15lbs over.. This would normally be $100 more !!... But it was covered.. I used this opportunity to mention to the miss-us that she was going to split to the 3rd bag the night before the libations.. Suddenly there was the feeling of air conditioning where there was no AC visible..

Getting through passport control and 2nd security was no problem - The $447 ticket had the $35 airport improvement fee included (whew) Plane was bording as we reached the top of the escalator.

There is now a 100% carry on bag search just before plane entry (for Continental anyways) - This is where the miss-us found that her makeup base and perfume were still in her purse.. While slightly over the alowable qty and not in the plastic bag it was allowed to pass.. Again I mentioned the lack of preparedness because of the night before (The dog house was mentioned as my next place of residence)

Flight left on time and arived 15 min early.

Snack breakfast was served. Seat assignments were separate because of lateness but someone was accommodating and switched so we could sit together..

US customs was very lite in Huston, such that I did not ask if the let Canadians in the US line (They do allow this in Detroit) as the visitor line was just as time consuming as the US citizen line..

Flight to DTW was uneventful and on time bot for departure and arrival.

Parking all tolled (Room with 8 days inc and remainder @ $10/day) all tolled $ 207US for 19 days.. http://www.qwikpark.com/bigcoupon.html

Drive from DTW to Sarnia Blue water was no issue (Still have to say I felt more uncomfortable driving I94 War Zone Detroit than I did at any time in Nica) Sarnia Canada customs was empty. (But crossing to US was an easy 1.5 hr line from what I saw. See note on Aug 1 departure)

We did have to pay duty on the 4 bottles over limit.. $27

Blog Entries

They have a bottle tax?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast