Thread: Corn Island Update

Blog Entries

Default Corn Island Update

Been awhile, but here is a brief update.

Temperature dropped below 70 Friday night (pretty rare here), the 1 heavy blanket in the house was quickly found & put to use. Internet & electric have been hit or miss & most days I don't have time to think about going out front (to the road) & getting online (went from having 1 or 2 computers online 24/7 to maybe checking emails every 10 days or so).

November brought down some serious weather, 20+ inches of rain, heavy wind, & high seas. I had 150+ tomato, & 100 or so pepper plants in the ground, all around a foot or two with plenty of blooms, 30-40 of each survived the weather. Electric & internet were like the weather, SHIT. I had over 300 sucker (plantain tree) blow down in November, my place looks like a bomb went off. Several nights I was praying like a little pig that my roof would not blow off, finally a dry day came & I was able to put a few nails in where my builder had forgotten to. The elections in November put a Sandanista Alcadia (mayor) in office. High seas shut down all the freight boats & provisions were minimal, we were thankful for the little bit we could harvest here.

December, more of the same, only the wind has been gentler, over 10" of rain already this month. Another 100 or so sucker down, have not even started to clean up the mess. Have started replanting the garden & have lots of seedlings started, I am hoping for the best in the weather, but until February it is still a crap shoot.

Here are some of the local prices; ($1US is 19.5 cord)

Cucumber 10 cord each
    Tomato 20 cord pound
    Potato 14 cord pound
    Chicken 26-30 cord pound
    Beef/Pork 35- 40 cord pound
    Rice 12 cord pound
    Dog food 12 cord pound
    Coconut bread 20 cord loaf
    Powder milk 75 cord pound
    Beer 248 cord case
    Plantain 3-5 cord each
    Eggs 3-4 cord each

Sinking world economy is bad news for folks fishing, buying, & selling lobster as well as all the people affected (almost everyone here) so things here are not so cheery this holiday season.

This weekend I am going to try my hand at cheese making, the books I am reading say anyone can do it, I hope they took into account the odd idiot living on an island in a "developing" country. Cross your fingers. I can always blame it on the water if it makes anyone really sick.

My pig is getting fatter, but unless he behaves better than today he will not see the new year. He is a good pig, little trouble, loves kids, very little noise except at feeding time or when he sees someone is coming to play with him, but today he was bawling from daylight & all day, I fed him a little extra & still more bawling, everyone has an off day so I can give him a break, I thought maybe he felt bad but after watching him eat & play I don't think so, will see what tomorrow brings. I think maybe something is up with the weather, I have noticed lots of animals acting strange the last 2 days.

My neighbor is making me some ginger beer for Christmas, anxious to check it out. Looks like I will cook/smoke a few whole chickens, make some dressing & a few sides, & probably a big pot of soup (a neighbor is killing a cow on the 23rd(.

Difficult (illegal) to get fireworks here anymore (any of you following my exploits in years past may have seen pictures on NL of my handiwork), Hard to have a real party without lots of alcohol & explosives. The last few nights I have heard some sky rockets & bombas going off & I am determined to find the source. People here know my love of fireworks & it is only a matter of time before some make it this way.

Only one airline flying here now & they are STRICTLY monitoring the weight of your bags, anything over 30lb is $1lb so keep that in mind if coming to this side.

Plantain sales have been steady & seem to be on the increase going into Christmas, Ripe plantain is in high demand for the Holidays, they use it to make a dish called plantain in glory & also bake it to serve with roasted meats. I am learning more & more about plantain & have eaten more of it in the last few months than I would have ever imagined (lots of the trees that blew down had on plantain), I feed it to the pig, cows love it as do chickens.

Anyway, that is about all I know.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Corn Island Update

Wow, you are having a rough winter. I had thought that summer was the wet season? I am glad your spirits are not destroyed by the rough start.

So what is with going to the road for internet? Are you getting a stray wifi signal? I have been interested in finding or developing a signal amp for this exact reason. Now may be a good time to ask the group if they have ever heard of such a thing. Whatever, the thing would have to be very robust to handle the weather there.

Thanks for the update, I have been waiting months to read this. I guess with all of your problems photos are way down on the list. One of your photos of the new fence was sort of artistic and telling.
    Survivor

thanks for the update! pictures?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Hey Ran wilson electronics makes a 3watt amp that works really nice alittle pricy but if ya like to be connected it is worth it. I have been using this amp in conjunction with thier trucker antenna which is 15db for over 4 years and really like it. Check out wilson electronics

Big Corn Island, tiny paradise.
    Aerial view, topo & tourist map and a couple pics.. the last one is an indonesian batak house prefaricated in Java and assembled at north Corn Island.
    Best Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Today is a good day for an airstrike"

Blog

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gaudali View Post
    Big Corn Island, tiny paradise.
    Aerial view, topo & tourist map and a couple pics.. the last one is an indonesian batak house prefaricated in Java and assembled at north Corn Island.
    Best Regards.
    Please expand on the batak house on Big Corn. There has to be a story here.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Active TRN Member

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Re: Corn Island Update
    http://www.buycornisland.com/ ....mmm are they selling the whole Island?..mmm

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Please expand on the batak house on Big Corn. There has to be a story here.
    Tom, altough the web site explains quite better, I got some additional pics. This heavily detailed house itself looks pretty nice in the middle of Corn Island environment, as the builders where locals you can see many slight assembling mistakes, according to the CPF they brought the woven bamboo ( petate) ceiling from Masaya. I remember when I visited the house almost a year ago the wood painting finishes left a lot to be desired. The bathroom style fits in any other house not this one, same thing with kitchen cabinets. In the end, as architecture, the house have its own value as a part of Corn Island urban identity. And a good example on prefab housing practice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gaudali; 12-21-2008 at 11:33 PM.
    "Today is a good day for an airstrike"

Blog

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by travelling man View Post
    Hey Ran wilson electronics makes a 3watt amp that works really nice alittle pricy but if ya like to be connected it is worth it. I have been using this amp in conjunction with thier trucker antenna which is 15db for over 4 years and really like it. Check out wilson electronics
    Thanks TM, This is why I love this site.

Spendy yes, about $300-$400, but for some that really need it they can get it. That figure is just for the amp. You still need antenae, and other things to make it work.
    Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    Thanks TM, This is why I love this site.

Spendy yes, about $300-$400, but for some that really need it they can get it. That figure is just for the amp. You still need antenae, and other things to make it work.

This setup is for connecting to the internet? More info please!!!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marlies View Post
    And I thought it was going to be expensive!

Offered at only $435,000 :LMAO:.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Fyl's house is a bargain compared to that.

Blog Entries

The ad refers to affordable properties and their running out.
    There is a sense of urgency so that you do not miss out.

I always love how people in sales always point out that you need to hurry if you want something from them before it is too late.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Operators are standing by!

I gave 280 for my ampand 5o for the antenna. 10 for the antenna adapter to phone I had a little buyers remorse but after using the amp and haveing signal all the time it was well worth the money. Example were i live is in a signal dead zone ya have to drive out about a mile to get sinal. With my amp and antenna I can get a steady 3 bars at my house. The only thing about the amp they do not tell ya is make sure you set it up so plenty of air can get around it or the thermo protector will kick in. I have mine mounted on 4 /1.5 inch steal spacers and it solved the problem as i pretty much leave my amp run 24/7
    Last edited by travelling man; 12-22-2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: forgot to add

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by travelling man View Post
    I gave 280 for my ampand 5o for the antenna. 10 for the antenna adapter to phone I had a little buyers remorse but after using the amp and haveing signal all the time it was well worth the money. Example were i live is in a signal dead zone ya have to drive out about a mile to get sinal. With my amp and antenna I can get a steady 3 bars at my house. The only thing about the amp they do not tell ya is make sure you set it up so plenty of air can get around it or the thermo protector will kick in. I have mine mounted on 4 /1.5 inch steal spacers and it solved the problem as i pretty much leave my amp run 24/7

That is the thing about all amps, heat. Most amps and all quality amps have big fins called heat sinks. They have to dissapate a lot of heat. You live in a hotter than average place and a small fan would help dissapate more heat if you are having uncontrollable shut downs from heat.

If you could mention the model number on here it would be good for those trying to track this down. I seen a couple models on the Wilson web site, but I am not sure I know which is the right one. Communications in cell phones, radios and wifi is not my strong point and if you have a model number that performs as well as you say I am sure there are quite a few here that would like to get one. Jack seemed to want more info.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Cookshow;
    Was there any bad beach erosion from the storms? How did the structures on the island hold up? I heard the bridge to Anastasia's was taken out. Any other distruction. The one storm that hit looked really bad on the weather map and it looked huge. Hope things get better now.
    It's all part of the adventure!!

The model I have is 811201 cellular/pcs direct connection 3 watt cellular amplifier here is a site listing it for $219. the antenna is a wilson trucker antena and the site list it for 45. This site shows a signal boost model which will allow you to connect to a cell phone that doesnt have an external connector . from some people I have talked with did not have much luck with this model
    http://www.alternativewireless.com/c...amplifier.html

Attachment 951
    Last edited by travelling man; 12-23-2008 at 07:57 PM.