Thread: Passport Renewal

Default Passport Renewal

I was just taking a peak at my passport and I am getting fairly close to needing a new one since the pages are almost used up.

For my last passport, I sent it back to the passport agency and after my new passport was issued they sent the old one back to me with 2 holes punched into it and a Cancelled stamp on it.

The 2 passports have different passport numbers, guess its not like a social security number that you keep forever! In anycase I was wondering what the latest procedure is now, does the US Passport agency send you back your old passports still? the last one I did was canceled in 2001 pre 9/11.

I have several Escrituras, property, a vehicle, civil wedding papers, and other legal Nicaraguan documents that my US Passport number was used.

Active TRN Member

Default Re: Passport Renewal

if you only need pages take it to the embassy and they will add more pages to your old passport..last time i had it done in managua it took me an hour...on a new passport make photo copies of your old passport to show the diference in pasport #

Quote Originally Posted by acc724 View Post
    if you only need pages take it to the embassy and they will add more pages to your old passport..last time i had it done in managua it took me an hour...on a new passport make photo copies of your old passport to show the diference in pasport #
    Oh thats good, I didn't know they could do that, but honestly my passport is looking pretty warnout, and the last airport attendant gave me attitude about the condition of the passport.

I suppose I could get the photo copies notarized, but just a photo copy would be a bit hard to use it as an official document.

Blog Entries

When you renew your passport, they send the old one back to you with holes punched in it and VOID stamped on the first page.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

My son has one of the new ones, fancy stuff, a picture of something US related on each page. I haven't heard anyone personally say they have had any issues with the new RFID chips they imbed in them, but we shall see with time.

Thats a good point about getting the new passport restamped with your nica entry date. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
    Most Nicaraguan attorneys correctly allow a person with a new passport to conduct a sale of an asset even if the passport number of the new passport is different from the old passport number stated on the old escritura, especially if they know of you directly or indirectly.

Generally the US embassy does allow you to keep your old passport when issuing you a new one.

Don't forget that getting a new passport now you will be issued a new type of passport shipped from the fatherland that has the special electronic RFID unit, potentially making you more subject to being identified without your knowledge by nearby strangers.

The new pages are always free and issued the same day, whereas the new passport costs about 100 USD and takes 1-2 months to arrive. Additionally, if you get a new passport you will then be required to make an additional trip to the Nica immigration office to get it stamped with an accurate entry/exit stamp.

haha. good point, I don't think I will purposely destroy the chip, since it will probably only give the US Government suspicions when I enter US territory. Maybe I will make my trip to Colombia before I get the new passport! I don't really have any desire at the moment to visit Somalia, but you never know when someone will offer to dump several million dollars into my account, and I need to first visit Somalia for the transaction.

Blog Entries

BTW, 10 seconds in the microwave will take care of that new-fangled RFID chip. The last thing I need is for some jihadist to be able to identify me as a gringo while I'm walking down the street!
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

do the scanners that they use give you all the information or does it just detect that there is an RFID chip? RFID chips are used for other things too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3 frijoles View Post
    do the scanners that they use give you all the information or does it just detect that there is an RFID chip? RFID chips are used for other things too.
    It has all your passport information embedded. It was supposed to be intended to make the passport impossible to forge, but then some hackers in Sweden or France or somewhere forged a passport for Elvis Presley complete with RFID chip and everything.

I guess the next step would be to implant the chip under your skin?

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Frijoles View Post
    haha. Good Point, I Don't Think I Will Purposely Destroy The Chip, Since It Will Probably Only Give The Us Government Suspicions When I Enter Us Territory. Maybe I Will Make My Trip To Colombia Before I Get The New Passport!
    i Don't Really Have Any Desire At The Moment To Visit Somalia, But You Never Know When Someone Will Offer To Dump Several Million Dollars Into My Account, And I Need To First Visit Somalia For The Transaction.

"If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    BTW, 10 seconds in the microwave will take care of that new-fangled RFID chip. The last thing I need is for some jihadist to be able to identify me as a gringo while I'm walking down the street!
    You need a chip to tell you're a gringo?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You need a chip to tell you're a gringo?
    I have a unique combination of phenotypes that means I don't really "look gringo". I blend in essentially anywhere in Latin America. Plus, I speak Spanish with a very clean accent that tends to take on the characteristics of whatever country I'm in at the time. People assume I'm Puerto Rican, Cuban, or Costa Rican (in that order of frequency), but rarely do they think I'm gringo.

I tell them I'm Canadian anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    I tell them I'm Canadian anyway.
    :LMAO:
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

"Not that there's anything wrong with that..."