Thread: Lake Apanás Fishing Info

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Lake Apanás Fishing Info

This Post was inspired by M.A question on Lake Apanas,so I figured I'd place it here for future reference, Way to get the best out of One MA :-).

Beautiful Lake Apanás/Man Made Reservoir In Nothern Nicaragua was created in 1964 by then Presidente Somoza by damming the Tuma River,just north of Jinotega city.

Lake Apanás has an area of 20 square miles (51 square km). It supplies the Asturias hydroelectric station, largest in the country and the focus of a power grid serving much of the more densely settled Pacific zone of Nicaragua.

It's depth averages 20 to 50 meters and water temperature averages 27.5 degrees Celsius, 81.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

The main Body of Lake Apanas it's fairly shallow,probly around 8-10 feet and it gets hit hard by the wind,that's why the water in the main body,Always seems to be murky, sometimes one is able to see the cattle grazing,half way submerged eating the acuatic vegetation.

The many Coves of the Lake however,can be very deep in places,it is here where the lake gets the 20+ meters average,and the water it's fairly clear.

There are some beautiful spots where to swim on the lake,on my next trip I will take photos of the diferect topography of the lake.

The coves are dominated by timber and vegetation on the edges.

Species to be caught in Apanas.

<u>There are 2 species of Guapote.</u>

1) "The Lagunero known for its hump and enormous size,often times exceding 18 pounds,known in Inglish as Rainbow Bass. The female Lagunero is known as Parindera and it's way smaller than the male, rarely reaching 2 pounds

2) "The Amayaco, or Guapote Pinto this one is way smaller and it dotted like a jaguar,hence, the English name Jaguar Guapote, the female it's exactly the same color and a lil smaller in size.

The best time to fish Apanás are the March-early July months, Favorite lures are:

Rapalas(Wooden): Colors: Shad,Red,Green Combos,you need a shallow runner,4-6 Feet,a medium runner 6-12 feet and a deep diver 15+ feet.

Rattle Traps: Same colors as the Rapalas and in same size,I like the bill lewis brands

Inline Spinners(same used for Salmon): colors Green,Shiny silver/gold,Fav. brand Mepps in #2,3,4 and 5

Deep Diving Plugs: these are the ones I use for trolling the numerous 100+ feet holes in Asturias,I use the 15-21 Feet ones,big lips on them.

Additional Info: courtesy of a new member,who asked me via PM,additional info on the lake,so I figure I'd update this Tread :-).

would plastic worms work? senkos? topwater?
    in my over 20+ years of experience,I've found that worms and any type of top water don't work that well in Apanas

Is a medium action medium heavy or heavy action preferred for larger Guapotes?
    Do they fight? Do they head for the trees etc?

Medium to heavy action- 6"7 of 7" would be good, Big guapotes and even small one fight and run like a freight train and you got if, will head for the trees,last year I lost 2 in the trees, that could have topped 20 pounds, also take spider wire in 10- 30,and triline 15 and 20 pounds

You mentioned live bait ...is this a good method? what is preferred bait? do you need a cast net to catch it?
    in Apanas,I know the BEST live bait method(is a secret ok) is live small catfish and live Shad,known as Plateada,you can't catch them with cast nets, we do it with tiny hook 4 pound test line and dough as bait,early in the morning.

When visiting Apanás,make sure to Always bring a Rain Jackets(and FDC :-)), sometimes even in summer,will rain,nothing a lil FDC can't fix.

Hope this info helps you,in your future visits to Lake Apanás.

BTW You can Thank MA for getting this info out of me, I hope I did not dissapoint you M.A :-).

MA, Maybe you can put this info as a book as well for Jinotega

Regards.

MA, Inspired me to writte this Info,therefore I left it as is

FAP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FisherCigarman; 08-28-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Updated Info

Blog Entries

Default Footnote

The "MA" mentioned by FisherCigarMan is the late Miskito Alan of Puerto Cabezas.

Perico
    Sassari, Sardinia Isle, Italy - Managua, Nicaragua

Default Fishing video on Rainbows in Apanas

Hi everybody,
    My name is Antonio Varcasia and I'm a sportfishing journalist that lives in Italy. I'm in love with the Volcanoes' country because I'm married with a nica (from Managua). I have filmed in the past years on both side of the country (atlantic, pacific and rio san juan) for italian tv shows, and this year would like to make a new video on Apanas Rainbow bass, and for this reason I'm looking for a guide or for an experienced angler that would be glad to help me in this.
    Thanks in advance for the help,
    cheers

Antonio

www.videospin.it
    www.evmpro.it

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fishing video on Rainbows in Apanas

Antonio.

I'd be more than happy to assist you in:

Guide Services,including lodging and boats.

Please PM me to make arrangements.

We are fast approaching the PEAK fishing season for Rainbow Peacocks(Guapote Lagunero) and Jaguar bass(Amallaco) fishing.

Regards
    FAP

Quote Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
    Hi everybody,
    My name is Antonio Varcasia and I'm a sportfishing journalist that lives in Italy. I'm in love with the Volcanoes' country because I'm married with a nica (from Managua). I have filmed in the past years on both side of the country (atlantic, pacific and rio san juan) for italian tv shows, and this year would like to make a new video on Apanas Rainbow bass, and for this reason I'm looking for a guide or for an experienced angler that would be glad to help me in this.
    Thanks in advance for the help,
    cheers

Antonio

www.videospin.it
    www.evmpro.it

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Re: Lake Apanás Info

Very cool post! How soon do I get to sample some Lagunero, Felix? Hint, hint.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lake Apanás Info

When I get to take roger fishing there :-),I usually bring at least 2-4 over 10 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Very cool post! How soon do I get to sample some Lagunero, Felix? Hint, hint.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lake Apanás Fishing Info

I've updated this info per request of a new fellow fisherman,who will be fishing Apanas frequently )).
    Good luck Kevin.

Felix, you need to scrape together some time (I know it's hard!) and come take Roger fishing!!! He finally got to go on a trip a few weeks ago, he'd been waiting for some friends to go with for 7+ years, and it turned into the trip from h*ll. The guy who had the boat brought only 2 poles for 5 people, brought no bait, and was too cheap to fill up on extra water even though he knew his engine was gonna need it. They caught no fish, of course, the motor died and it took 4 hours to get back to shore. My poor fella having to drive from SJDS all the way home after dark was the icing on the cake...until he ran into the s.o.b. in blue on the bridge...but that's a story for another day...or maybe not.

Let me know when you'll be anywhere near our area, hon.

Blog Entries

Ya'll need a vacation.

4 minute walk to the Sea, No men in Blue, plenty of fish and if Roger buys a case of beer I can get him on a boat for free, I am sure of that, cheaper than gas and bribes anyday.

Oh, and the fish are always biting.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Ya'll need a vacation.

4 minute walk to the Sea, No men in Blue, plenty of fish and if Roger buys a case of beer I can get him on a boat for free, I am sure of that, cheaper than gas and bribes anyday.

Oh, and the fish are always biting.
    He doth verley speaketh the truth....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

hey Mel.

I've been on a long Florida Stay,been catching up with my boy.
    I should be back in Nica in the next couple of weeks,working my a$$ off.

As soon as weather permits and it's not to cold,I'll take your hubby to Apanas,or Ometepe,I recon he'd have a blast in my Ometepe honey hole,since the catch ratio in my honey hole is about 15-20 fish per hour,mixed bag From biggens and small ones.
    I will let you know,I promise girl!!
    Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Felix, you need to scrape together some time (I know it's hard!) and come take Roger fishing!!! He finally got to go on a trip a few weeks ago, he'd been waiting for some friends to go with for 7+ years, and it turned into the trip from h*ll. The guy who had the boat brought only 2 poles for 5 people, brought no bait, and was too cheap to fill up on extra water even though he knew his engine was gonna need it. They caught no fish, of course, the motor died and it took 4 hours to get back to shore. My poor fella having to drive from SJDS all the way home after dark was the icing on the cake...until he ran into the s.o.b. in blue on the bridge...but that's a story for another day...or maybe not.

Let me know when you'll be anywhere near our area, hon.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    and it's not to cold,I'll take your hubby to Apanas,or Ometepe,
    Cold..... Cold.. Define "Cold" in Nica
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

in Apanas billy it gets pretty cold(for Nica standars) in October-jan, it gets down to lower 50's at night.
    During these cold months,one can only catch a beer buzz or a cold .

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Cold..... Cold.. Define "Cold" in Nica

Well said, Felix, well said! An Ometepe fishin' trip sounds awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    I've updated this info per request of a new fellow fisherman,who will be fishing Apanas frequently )).
    Good luck Kevin.
    Thanks for the update and great info! Best of luck to ya!

Blog Entries

OK ya'll....I just came across this post. My hubby is a fisherman and we live on Ometepe Island. Where are these big fish you are talking about? They must be on the other side of the island. I know he would love to find a 'hot spot'. Also, we just returned from Jinotega and traveled past Lake Apanas. Where is the closest place to stay near the lake for a fishing trip?

Blog Entries

in Ometepe my hot spots are in San Ramon,close to Merida, the man to see is Don Rene Molina at Stacion Biologica San Ramon(he may,he may not rent you a boat/guide),tell him Felix Perez sent you.

On Apanas, drive to Asturias,past the bridge and Ask for Don Tono,he's got two nice newly made Cabanas,he can also offer you a guided trip.
    After me, he is the BEST in Apanas,in Apanas in the last 15 years, I've become almost legendary for catching monsters over 15 pounds!!.
    Tell Don Tono, Felix Perez,Sent you as well.
    Good luck,next Feb-June, I will be able to offer a couple of fishing guided trips to both Apanas and Ometepe .

I won't fish Apanas until it starts to get warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsytoes View Post
    OK ya'll....I just came across this post. My hubby is a fisherman and we live on Ometepe Island. Where are these big fish you are talking about? They must be on the other side of the island. I know he would love to find a 'hot spot'. Also, we just returned from Jinotega and traveled past Lake Apanas. Where is the closest place to stay near the lake for a fishing trip?

Blog Entries

I was pricing a Shakespeare spinning rig today. I need to get the pup out of town to somewhere she can run mad and I can do some fishing. Do you happen to know which bus that would be, or how close to the bus route from Jinotega?

Blog Entries

you have to take the bus that goes to Pantasma,from the Jinotega central station,have the driver drop you off in Asturias, past the bridge,where the turbine is,where you need to get off,is right where the town of Asturias Ends.
    Once you get off, ask for Don To~no.

Quote Originally Posted by MizBrown View Post
    I was pricing a Shakespeare spinning rig today. I need to get the pup out of town to somewhere she can run mad and I can do some fishing. Do you happen to know which bus that would be, or how close to the bus route from Jinotega?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the great information. We live near Moyogalpa, so we'll be heading to San Ramon soon. Looking forward to catching some big guapote.

This is very informative. I am new on this site, and I enjoyed this thread quite a bit. I have only recently started exploring all Nicaragua has to offer.