What was the total ticket cost?
    $220 R/T
    What did they charge for baggage?
    $0
    Was the flight pleasant?
    Yup
    Did it arrive on time?
    NO 35 mins late
    Did your baggage arrive on the same flight as you?
    Yes
    Would you fly this airline again?
    Yes

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Taca Miami-Managua-Jan 10th

Ain´t nothing wrong with that bro...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Did you ride in a spiffy new Airbus? The combined age of the last 3 Taca planes I've been on was less than a year! One plane was only a month old (there's a plate on the door of aircraft, similar to your car, that has the date of manufacture).
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    Did you ride in a spiffy new Airbus? The combined age of the last 3 Taca planes I've been on was less than a year! One plane was only a month old (there's a plate on the door of aircraft, similar to your car, that has the date of manufacture).
    How do you feel about riding in a plane that new? I think I prefer a "proven" aircraft! Not ancient, mind you but one with a year or two under it's wings!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

You better belive it JMc we when I was working on rental units had less problems with a 5 year old than a new one....we had gotten the kinks out by then.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    How do you feel about riding in a plane that new? I think I prefer a "proven" aircraft! Not ancient, mind you but one with a year or two under it's wings!
    I think the Quality Control regimen in the aviation industry is pretty darned exhaustive (to the point of being obsessive). I think a commercial airliner is in the best condition of its life the first year it leaves the manufacturer's airstrip. Plus, I like those new Airbus ships. They're very quiet and climb to altitude like an F-15!

I remember many rides on the old DC-9s where the paneling in the cabin would start flapping whenever the plane would start a decent. The idea that both of those turbofans were rotating at the speed of sound just a few meters from the elevator wasn't very reassuring either. Definitely turned me off to old aircraft. Gimme that new plane smell any day!
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

By the time an airliner enters service the design has had so many tests it's like it's several years old already.

Ok... I have a question for you airplane guys....

The first time I ever flew (1973 to bootcamp) an experienced flyer was sitting next to me and saw my nervousness. Among some of the things he told me, to calm me down, was that during the "testing" phase of the jets construction, they do a test where the hydraulically force each wing tip up over the plane until the two tips touch at the top center. He said they do this to test the strength of their connection to the fusilage. It made me feel a lot better about the way the wings were bouncing up and down during the flight. Was he lying just to help me out?
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

There are a lot of aspects to structural testing. The wings are loaded to the design loading, and to destruction, as well as a battery of other tests (vibration and so on). The two tips will never touch at the top center; there's no reason for them to. Maybe in '73 your friends was on an LSD trip, not a military trip.

The wings are supposed to flex, in some cases several feet. That dissipates the force of turbulence so you don't feel it in the cabin.

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

New airbusses,dont know how old,but it looked pretty darn new.

Blog Entries

I HATE to fly, I have to get a bit of FDC in me to even get on the mother F#cker......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    I HATE to fly, I have to get a bit of FDC in me to even get on the mother F#cker......
    I love to fly, but I still use it as an excuse to get a bit of the FDC.

I remember many rides on the old DC-9s where the paneling in the cabin would start flapping whenever the plane would start a decent. The idea that both of those turbofans were rotating at the speed of sound just a few meters from the elevator wasn't very reassuring either. Definitely turned me off to old aircraft. Gimme that new plane smell any day!
    speed of sound, i need to google that... they don't make a sonic boom?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

OK, that was a google that hurt my head....

Jet engines can be dated back to the first century AD, when Hero of Alexandria (a Greek mathematician) invented the aeolipile. This used steam power directed through two jet nozzles so as to cause a sphere to spin rapidly on its axis. So far as is known, it was little used for supplying mechanical power, and the potential practical applications of Hero's invention of the jet engine were not recognized. It was simply considered a curiosity.
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

[quote=Dr. Demento;49653]OK, that was a google that hurt my head....

Jet engines can be dated back to the first century AD, when Hero of Alexandria (a Greek mathematician) invented the aeolipile.
    quote]

Did you say aireophile here DDT?

Is that someone like those members of the ¨Mile High Club¨that get off in the air?

Dam I pissed once in a fish spotter plane in mid air into a gallon jug, I hope I didn´t contract this...It sounds terrable......

Is there a cure?

[quote=Just Plain John Wayne;49656]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    OK, that was a google that hurt my head....

Jet engines can be dated back to the first century AD, when Hero of Alexandria (a Greek mathematician) invented the aeolipile.
    quote]

Did you say aireophile here DDT?

Is that someone like those members of the ¨Mile High Club¨that get off in the air?

Dam I pissed once in a fish spotter plane in mid air into a gallon jug, I hope I didn´t contract this...It sounds terrable......

Is there a cure?
    from the picture on your avatar, my diagnosis is that on you it is incurable. i repeat, you are doomed!

Blog Entries

[quote=Dr. Demento;49662]
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    from the picture on your avatar, my diagnosis is that on you it is incurable. i repeat, you are doomed!
    DDT for one time in your life you are right.....:LMAO:

[quote=Just Plain John Wayne;49666]

DDT for one time in your life you are right.....:LMAO:
    i am glad you have a sense of humor!

hey, what's this deal about once in my life?

Blog Entries

speed of sound, i need to google that... they don't make a sonic boom?
    Actually, I think the turbines spin at somewhere under the speed of sound. The aerodynamics get freaky at the speed of sound.

Either way, I've always feared that one of those DC-9 engines would have a catastrophic failure, the centrifugal force tears the engine apart, and takes the elevator with it.

Probably paranoia from riding on so many decrepit DC-9s.

Blog Entries

Actually, I think the turbines spin at somewhere under the speed of sound. The aerodynamics get freaky at the speed of sound.

Either way, I've always feared that one of those DC-9 engines would have a catastrophic failure, the centrifugal force tears the engine apart, and takes the elevator with it.

Probably paranoia from riding on so many decrepit DC-9s.
    DC9's get so used. I used to ride in one all the time that someone scribed their intials on the window and the seat structure was broken and sagging. It was right by the engines too, I got that seat a lot. I ended up buying my Bose Noise Cancelling headphones because of that airplane.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    DC9's get so used. I used to ride in one all the time that someone scribed their intials on the window and the seat structure was broken and sagging. It was right by the engines too, I got that seat a lot. I ended up buying my Bose Noise Cancelling headphones because of that airplane.
    Yeah, those last couple rows were rightbetween the engines. I used to see the looks on the faces of the people sitting back there when I went to the head and they looked downright exhausted.