Thread: Gun Point hold-up on tourists heading to Selva Negra

Default Gun Point hold-up on tourists heading to Selva Negra

http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/2007.../sucesos/44887

A Belgian Lady and her spouse were held up at gun point on their way to "Selva Negra" in Matagalpa. The bandits robbed 48,030 cordobas worth of Clothing, Cosmetics, a machine to analyze blood (suppose for diabetes?) and Money.

Active TRN Member

Default Re: Gun Point hold-up on tourists heading to Selva Negra

That's a lot of loot to be travelling with . . . not having translated the article yet . . . was this at night, were they travelling on their own? Seems firearms are becoming more commonly used . . .

It says that it is a total value of everything that was robbed Jewlery, the machine, clothing, makeup, and money.

Its not a good idea but I have heard of many tourists traveling with several hundred dollars on them, multiply that by 2 and it could be well over $1000 in cash + everything else.

Doesn't say anything about anyone else.

I have noticed many more guns being used in Managua, rather than Knives, within the past few years. Guns are becoming cheaper to aquire, I assume.

Active TRN Member

Default you heard about the musician . . .

you heard about the musician . . . killed in the carjacking in Managua . . . shot in the face . . . give up the car.

Default Re: you heard about the musician . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mr_valentine
    you heard about the musician . . . killed in the carjacking in Managua . . . shot in the face . . . give up the car.
    Yes another unfortunate incident. The 2 year old girl that was accidentally shot in the head while on a swing at the park in Managua maybe 1 month ago.

Just this week a 9 year old picked up a gun from inside his house and shot himself in the head while playing, also in Managua.

Active TRN Member

in Toronto now you can buy bulletproof dresses and suits. Nice world, . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mr_valentine
    in Toronto now you can buy bulletproof dresses and suits. Nice world, . . .
    Bulletproof dresses! thats different.

I recall last year someone in a car drove up my streetaround 3 in the morning shooting at a hand full of cars parked in front of the homes. He was heading towards Reparto Schick (a not so good area), our home is towards the entrance of Reparto Schick. Needless to say we are looking for a new home in a quieter part of town.

Blog Entries

Our barrio in Jax has questionable noises late at night, every week or two. Off in the distance you can hear popping sounds, and it usually sounds like firecrackers to me. Maria swears it's gunshots. There's never a siren afterward. The other night I heard some, and this time the cadence sounded exactly like gunfire. Still no sirens afterward. Nothing in the news, either.

We need to move to a safer place, like Reparto Shick or something.

Default Shoot -

just in our small town, crap like that happens. In fact, about ten years ago, my husband and daughter and I were eating dinner in our kitchen eating area. We had windows on two sides of the area (we lived on the river, so we wanted the view). Anyway, during the meal, all of a sudden, the upper part of a window just exploded, scattering glass everywhere. We were just in shock, then got up to see what happened. We couldn't find anything that would explain why it happened. The next morning, cleaning on the opposite side of the room, in the living area, I found a spent bullet. Apparently, someone shot up into the air, and it came down through our window. Once we realized what happened, we actually found where the bullet had entered, hit & ricocheted off the window sill behind me, then into the living room. Scary how close that got!

I grew up around a quiet middle class suburb area, where there might be a murder every 10 years (until more recently).

Although I can't give my family what I have had growing up, I would prefer for them to have something more on the safe side than what we have now.

I sure understand. The safety of your family is of utmost importance, no doubt!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, it aint like it was 15 years ago here with everyone firing the AK's in the air on Christmas and New Years eve, I kinda miss that...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...