Thread: Wardens Message - February 27, 2009 (besides the march tommorow)

Default Wardens Message - February 27, 2009 (besides the march tommorow)

Residential Security

The U.S. Embassy has noted an increase in the use of armed violence against resident and visiting American citizens. Of particular concern are attacks happening inside of homes.

American citizens are urged to review residential security procedures, including with their domestic employees, and strengthen security measures to help safeguard their houses. Likewise, the U.S. Embassy recommends that travelers utilize hotels and guest houses which have the following security elements in place:

A front desk that is staffed 24 hours
    Full time uniformed security
    Access control precautions (i.e. a locked vehicle and pedestrian gate with a small hatch that allows security personnel to contact visitors without opening the fully opening the gate)
    Fenced perimeter
    Rooms equipped with safes for securing valuables and travel documents

Computers

U.S. citizens might consider protecting their laptops by installing Internet-based tracing programs that may assist local authorities in locating a laptop should it be stolen. Many companies, including zTrace (www.ztrace.com), CyberAngel (www.sentryinc.com) and ComputracePlus (www.computrace.com), provide such computer tracing software.

Credit and ATM Card Fraud

The U.S. Embassy has also noted an increase in credit and ATM card fraud. Illegal use can include “skimming” or making a copy of the magnetic strip on the credit or ATM card or simply copying the number for later use. American citizens who use credit and ATM cards in Nicaragua are advised to check statements frequently to monitor for abuse and/or to ask banks to email them when transactions exceed a certain number or size.

Default Re: Wardens Message - February 27, 2009 (besides the march tommorow)

Heres their bit about the march on Feb 28, 2009

Political Demonstrations on Saturday (February 28) and Your Security

Nicaraguan authorities have advised the U.S. Embassy that local organizations are planning political demonstrations in Managua and in cities throughout Nicaragua, including Leon, Chinandega, Juigalpa, Jinotega, Teustepe, Altagracia, Puerto Cabezas and Masaya. Supporters of the Frente Sandinista de Liberación Nacional (FSLN) party and their affiliates have also announced that they will commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Sandinista Revolution on the same day and in the same areas. Managua, Leon, and Masaya are likely to attract the largest number of participants.

Exact routes for these demonstrations are still unknown. However, Nicaraguan authorities report that the demonstrators in Managua will rally at the Petronic gas station (near Pricemart) at 8:00 AM and will march towards the National Congress starting at approximately 9:00 AM. Authorities believe that the FSLN and their affiliates will counter demonstrate at all major intersections and traffic circles, particularly those in the path of the opposition’s march. During these protests, many parts of the downtown area in Managua will be closed to vehicles, causing heavy traffic and congestion throughout the city.

The Embassy reminds American citizens that even political rallies intended to be peaceful can possibly escalate into violence. American citizens are therefore urged to exercise caution. The Embassy’s Regional Security Officer has recommended that Embassy personnel avoid all affected areas. Embassy personnel have also been advised to not drive through barricades encountered on the street, keep windows up and doors locked in their vehicles, and carry a cell phone.

Blog Entries

Has anyone used those tracing programs? Any good?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I just don't see how they could be. Maybe if something was hardwired into the computer itself, but software? Seems a little pointless to me. Besides, do you really think Nicaraguan authorities are tracking down IP addresses of stolen computers?
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    I just don't see how they could be. Maybe if something was hardwired into the computer itself, but software? Seems a little pointless to me. Besides, do you really think Nicaraguan authorities are tracking down IP addresses of stolen computers?
    No but I bet they are taking names of clever people that chat away at each other on a certain website so that one day they can be rounded up like cattle.

And with the help of a certain someone that hates freedoms for others that lives in a fantasy world in Estili ......

Know what I mean Vern?.......

Creole English here....."Make I shut me mouth"....Before I say something ugly...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

Lojack for Laptops? I bought a Lojack for my a little sports car. They work in the USA but I doubt it would in the third world.
    Survivor

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    Lojack for Laptops? I bought a Lojack for my a little sports car. They work in the USA but I doubt it would in the Turd world.
    Randude, I corrected your spelling.....Dam, (and not the river kind) Buy you books, send you to school, and you still don't know a $hit.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    Lojack for Laptops? I bought a Lojack for my a little sports car. They work in the USA but I doubt it would in the third world.
    Works in Mexico. I had a car stolen in TJ and they found it within half an hour at a chop shop with a bunch of other stolen cars. Only damage was the ignition switch.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín