Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rumble in the Jungle- Full trip report

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rumble in the Jungle- Full trip report

Yea Jacks are a lot of fun, they fight like hell....

I don't remember, is that a Jack Crevel?

But I go right here in the market and get them already smoked, I kid you not they are NICE.....

If anyone wants I will look for it you ship it by La Costena to MGA and you pay the freight and done.....

It is one of the old timey ways of preserving fish meat and is not so perishable....

But very tasty..
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    I have probably struck out more times than I scored......
    Get a hit 3 times out of 10 attempts and you go to the hall of fame.

Get 4 out of 10 and you're a friggin legend!
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

JPJW, you can have my share of the smoked Jack Fish. I have had it served to me in a variety of ways and without a doubt I can say that all of it was plain ass nasty. As far as I am concerned I never want to see, hear about, taste, or experience another Jack Fish of any kind, save for the smaller tastier realitive the Pampano.

Oh, but they do make excellent shark bait, they are bloody and tough, the two main requirments for attacting sharks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    JPJW, you can have my share of the smoked Jack Fish. I have had it served to me in a variety of ways and without a doubt I can say that all of it was plain ass nasty. As far as I am concerned I never want to see, hear about, taste, or experience another Jack Fish of any kind, save for the smaller tastier realitive the Pampano.

Oh, but they do make excellent shark bait, they are bloody and tough, the two main requirments for attacting sharks.
    Could not agree more...Jacks go back!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

You guy's don't remember eating a mud pie special made from the prettiest girl around and said it was good.....

Have you ever tried it, the smoked Jack fish?

Look at them nasty 'ole tuna, dark bloody red meat.....

But after it is well prepared...

Everybody hollers... Chicken of the sea.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

I have eaten.....

Hog Chokers, Finger Fu*kers, Cunt Covers, Horse Conchs, Stingrays, Ocktopussys, All Mouths, Clear Noses, Horn Dog Sharks, and screwed a few Nurse sharks.....

It is all good if you know what you are doing with it....

Perico
    Sassari, Sardinia Isle, Italy - Managua, Nicaragua

JPJW I have tried the smoked jack and I agree with you, even if I enjoy it also on the line... Do you live in puerto cabezas?

Dr. Demento, Nicaragua East coast is a developing zone of a developing countries, this means that not everything could be so good and fine like for example in Florida keys charters. The lodge is simply but clean, you feel like a family man and I enjoy it. As food - man I'm Italian and I have very high needings :-D I enjoy fresh cooked shrimps and crabs... and the boat is good and well maintened...

I think that is a place in which weather and season is very important, as well as your fishing tecnique (flyfishing more hardworking than others). Sometimes can happen that a fishing trip go to shit, this is fishing, but this not mean that is always like this ;-)

bye

Blog Entries

Yes I live in Paridize Puerto Cabezas......

I have never had smoked fish like I have here, it is all natural, done the old way, not that liquid smoke stuff like you see in the States.....

I have tried things I never thought exsisted, and if the Indians can do it so can I, I have eaten Manatee ......

Home you would drop jail just for saying that....

The only thing I have found, that disagrees with me, is food to rich in coconut oil........

It sends me to the bathroom so to speak, so I avoid that....

Jack Fish: Yes, they do fight like hell and are stout opponents on the end of the line. But, they are voracious eaters that will eat just about anything that they can catch, they are easily fooled and when around are no challenge to hook and eventually catch as their mouths are both soft and hard making hook setting pretty much permanent once it is done. In my years of fishing I have probably been a part of catching 2000+ Jack Fish at some point, no matter the challenge, one looks for something new. I have a particular distaste for them as they bleed a lot and their blood is very sticky and stinky and I have had to wash a ton of it off of boats after tourists demanded that the poor Jack be killed.

I made the guys in Bluefields turn them loose when we caught them, and after the 2nd one I had them reel them in as I can spot a Jack on the end of the line pretty well. After they fought about 3 more amazingly we ended up getting out of them. As wonderful as the situation might have been I was not interested in probably spending a grand to catch Jack Fish, end of story.

There is a reason that fishing is called fishing, and not catching. I understand this full well. I put myself through college working on the water and spent much time afterwards doing so, in particular taking folks out and catching fish for them. I never have lost sight of the un-predictability of fishing, I do not consider it catching. I also know about improving your chances regarding certain species as well as using techniques that improve the odds.

The bottom line about that lodge is that it basically represents itself as a "tarpon" lodge, when from what I was told and what I saw tarpon are probably much more of an occasional by-catch than actually the primary target and species. My only problem with my trip was the previous. For about the same money, maybe 10-15%more at the most one can go to Costa Rica or Belize and pretty much, assuming weather allows, be assured the opportunity to at least hook a tarpon and or possibly land one if not more.

Just south of the Nica/CR border there are 2-4 lodges in Costa Rica that pretty much guarantee tarpon. How? They have a variety of methods to fish for them and are much more invested in knowing the who? what? and where? about their local fish.

I have worked in this type of industry, and all I can say is that if any lodge wants to actually grow, have consistent repeat business and attract new customers there has to be an improvement in all operations. At the end of the day most paying folks don't have to go all that far to pay a lot of money to catch Jack Fish and or Kingfish, that is the bottom line.

Jack Fish: Yes, they do fight like hell and are stout opponents on the end of the line. But, they are voracious eaters that will eat just about anything that they can catch, they are easily fooled and when around are no challenge to hook and eventually catch as their mouths are both soft and hard making hook setting pretty much permanent once it is done. In my years of fishing I have probably been a part of catching 2000+ Jack Fish at some point, no matter the challenge, one looks for something new. I have a particular distaste for them as they bleed a lot and their blood is very sticky and stinky and I have had to wash a ton of it off of boats after tourists demanded that the poor Jack be killed.

I made the guys in Bluefields turn them loose when we caught them, and after the 2nd one I had them reel them in as I can spot a Jack on the end of the line pretty well. After they fought about 3 more amazingly we ended up getting out of them. As wonderful as the situation might have been I was not interested in probably spending a grand to catch Jack Fish, end of story.

There is a reason that fishing is called fishing, and not catching. I understand this full well. I put myself through college working on the water and spent much time afterwards doing so, in particular taking folks out and catching fish for them. I never have lost sight of the un-predictability of fishing, I do not consider it catching. I also know about improving your chances regarding certain species as well as using techniques that improve the odds.

The bottom line about that lodge is that it basically represents itself as a "tarpon" lodge, when from what I was told and what I saw tarpon are probably much more of an occasional by-catch than actually the primary target and species. My only problem with my trip was the previous. For about the same money, maybe 10-15%more at the most one can go to Costa Rica or Belize and pretty much, assuming weather allows, be assured the opportunity to at least hook a tarpon and or possibly land one if not more.

Just south of the Nica/CR border there are 2-4 lodges in Costa Rica that pretty much guarantee tarpon. How? They have a variety of methods to fish for them and are much more invested in knowing the who? what? and where? about their local fish.

I have worked in this type of industry, and all I can say is that if any lodge wants to actually grow, have consistent repeat business and attract new customers there has to be an improvement in all operations. At the end of the day most paying folks don't have to go all that far to pay a lot of money to catch Jack Fish and or Kingfish, that is the bottom line.
    hopefully, i'll remember this. lifelong dream to catch one sailfish and one tarpon. miles to go before i can rest though...
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Demento View Post
    hopefully, i'll remember this. lifelong dream to catch one sailfish and one tarpon. miles to go before i can rest though...
    Sailfish are not too difficult in Nicaragua, other places they are thick as flies. I am with you on the tarpon though, I have seen them, dove with them, fed them, smelled them, and hooked some of the bastards but I be damned, not the river kind, if I have ever landed one.

I spent a fair share of time in the Fla. Keys in the days of my youth and there is a place there in Islamorada called Robbie's, or there was, that the tarpon would come around like koi to be fed off the took. For a tarpon deprived Texas boy seeing that about sent me off the deep end. I would lay in bed at night trying to think of a way that I could catch of those fish. Word was that if you harmed them the locals would dissapear you if you were lucky as they were a huge, and I mean huge, tourist attraction.

Folks say that there are not many tarpon in the Corn Islands, yet every F'ing time I dive there I see some big schools of them, yet nobody fishes for them there.

Blog Entries

Great post!

So what´s the problem on this side of the border? Is it just a question of the techniques being employed, or are there simply more fish on the other side?

I´m always looking for ways to make everything in Nicaragua better than anything in Costa Rica.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    Great post!

So what´s the problem on this side of the border? Is it just a question of the techniques being employed, or are there simply more fish on the other side?

I´m always looking for ways to make everything in Nicaragua better than anything in Costa Rica.
    Doc:

You should know better, I only present problems and argue, I don't ever present solutions.....LOL.

No seriously, I am not a tarpon fisherman and have very limited experience on it. The fishing in Nicaragua is pretty "under exploited" and there are probably many reasons why. Namely it is just not done a whole lot here, when you compare it to CR and or other places. The biggest thing that makes a difference in catching fish is actually going and trying. If you don't go, you won't know. On the pacific side there are like what 5-6 charter boats? Plus the southern Nica coast gets a hell of a lot of wind for a big portion of the year.

In terms of the tarpon fishing and such on the Caribbean side, I would imagine that the above is also part of the reason, not to mention commercial fishing pressures. When I have been out there I have seen a country mile of nets, especially at river mouths and such. You don't see quite a much in CR. Additionally, in CR they try fishing a variety of different ways, they can afford to as they have a mulititude of customers and people visiting them. There is also the competition factor, there are several lodges so they all compete for customers, competition is a good thing as we all know.

The money required to truly start up and operate at a loss, for many years, is going to be high and investors probably have to feel that they need a reasonable chance at recouping that investment and having a good business. Bluntly, I don't think there are many that feel that way about Nicaragua in general, and probably less the under developed and volitile Caribbean coast, especially with something so persnickity a sport fishing. Logistics and access also play a major role.

Any and all of the reasons that we all see contributing to the lack of Nicaraguas success all manifest themselves in this type of situation also.

Sailfish are not too difficult in Nicaragua, other places they are thick as flies. I am with you on the tarpon though, I have seen them, dove with them, fed them, smelled them, and hooked some of the bastards but I be damned, not the river kind, if I have ever landed one.

I spent a fair share of time in the Fla. Keys in the days of my youth and there is a place there in Islamorada called Robbie's, or there was, that the tarpon would come around like koi to be fed off the took. For a tarpon deprived Texas boy seeing that about sent me off the deep end. I would lay in bed at night trying to think of a way that I could catch of those fish. Word was that if you harmed them the locals would dissapear you if you were lucky as they were a huge, and I mean huge, tourist attraction.

Folks say that there are not many tarpon in the Corn Islands, yet every F'ing time I dive there I see some big schools of them, yet nobody fishes for them there.
    maybe some day we can go fishin. don't know if i can trust an aggie....
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

The locals here catch Tarpon off the dock spearing them......

Garganuan Grouper as well (June fish, Jew fish)

I caught a 50 pound Wahoo tween the land and the Miskito Keys......

Oh, and off the dropoff Football Tuna....

WHOOO HOOOO Thanks for lighting my fire.....we have bought a house in SJDS and I can't wait to get back and visit corn island and hit the JUNGLE TO FISH!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123