Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Restaurants

Default Favorite Restaurants

Hey everyone, I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on the best restaurants in the area, as the comments come in I'll organize by area/city.

Granada

El Zaguan - excellent filet and churrascos! The open grill and ambiance of this place is really cool, and the food is amazing. We actually went to Granada one day just to eat there again during one trip. I can't recommend this place enough.

Playa Gigante

Pie De Gigante Oceanside Restaurant - just like the name says, it's right on Gigante Bay overlooking the Pacific. Awesome seafood, steaks, pastas, burgers and a great bar selection. Very nice folks

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Default El Pozo In SJDS

We have several real good ones here in SJDS, I have posted some food photos before, but this one was from yesterdays brunch.
    Chiltoma Rellana Omlette, salsa roja, creme, hashbrowns and toast for C$145 including IVA.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Default Re: Favorite Restaurants

Delightful thread
    "Today is a good day for an airstrike"

Blog

Blog Entries

Granada

Zoom Bar. The only place in Granada where you can get chicken fried steak (they call it Southern fried because a lot of people were expecting chicken) with sausage gravy and eggs Benedict (they call it the Golden Egg). The burgers really are the best in town (and friggin huge!). You have to order fries separately because the burgers only come with chips. While you're there, beer is a buck and they have a very complete bar (including Bombay Saphire gin).

The Garden Cafe. How do I know? Because I'm polishing off their "everything" sandwich right now. This is the first time I had a sandwich there and I have to admit I'm impressed. Also, the potato salad is to die for. I bought a brownie but I forgot to take it with me, so I'll be back there tomorrow.

Nica Buffet. I'm not much of breakfast person, but when I do get my carcass out to the street in the morning I like to fill up for the day. Big portions of all the other regular breakfast stuff, about half price they charge at Kathy's and the gallo pinto is much better.

Mona Lisa. Great italian food including pizzas, pastas and various tasty appetizers. A little pricey by Nica standards but a bargain anywhere north of here. The homemade pasta is worth the few extra cords and their bread is the best kept secret in Granada.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

I've been to El Zaguan the meat is pretty good, what I remeber was some guy singing and anoying the hell out of me also the sound quality is horrible
    Dios es Amor!

Blog Entries

My two visits to Zaguan have been fairly good. I'd go back.

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    My two visits to Zaguan have been fairly good. I'd go back.
    I have enjoyed several meals there over the past several years. The meals were usually above average but not exciting.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

TIP TOP

In Granada....

El Zaguan.... first date spot for me and la senora mia.... food was good too!

Tele Pizza.... for me the best Hawaiian Pizza anywhere and the calzones are great too!

Fritangas ... around the corner (northerly) from the Eskimo store that is on la calle Calzada! (2 blocks from the Guadalupe Church). You can eat on the street or at a table inside... cold beer!

Cafe Blue... good omelets and homefries and good coffee!

Tercer Ojo.... great lasagna and ambience!

And finally, they used to serve the absolute best tiramisu at The Casa Vivaldi and a big piece for only 40 cords... great swimming pool too... not sure the restaurant is open for business anymore, since they added the hotel.

In Diria.....

Charleys in "El Boquete". Decent food at a great price from gente muy amable.... and a great view of the Laguna de Apoyo... the view is not as good as from Catarina but the food at Catarina sucks!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    Tercer Ojo.... great lasagna and ambience!
    Took me a few trips before I veered off the pasta. The seafood is really good. The mariscada is definitely the best dish they serve.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is one of my favorite places for breakfast in Managua.....

I think someone else posted this too.......

I do not know the address but it is close to the Ciudad Jarden, And if I see a land mark...I can get there......

Beats the $hit outta McDoogles.....and being I am and early riser, fits my schedule.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post

I do not know the address but it is close to the Ciudad Jarden, And if I see a land mark...I can get there......

Beats the $hit outta McDoogles.....and being I am and early riser, fits my schedule.......

That was me.. You didn't take a snap of the "tired" Bird...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Super Meditator

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post

Hey man that's my hang out too. WTF why don't we meet there sometime. About a mile from my Suegra's place.
    "Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance." - Albert Einstein. - Politics may not be the oldest profession but the results are the same.

Blog Entries

A dam BIG breakfast ala carte, and I am ready for my day.....Lets do it next TRN meeting.....
    there......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

El Tiscapa, best steak in Central America, nay, the world
    -Maria

TRN Member

On LCI:
    Twila's - Habana Libre, awesome roasted pork, never had a bad dinner there.
    Carlitos - great fish shrimps or lobster on the beach
    Casa Iguana - best coffee on the island unless you really prefer presto and coconut bread french toast to die for
    Never leave fun, to look for fun

I enjoyed a nice seafood meal at Marea Alta Seafood Bar and Grill, Los Robles, Managua

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

In Jinotepe:

Pizzeria Coliseo, one block north of the big church. Simply the best pizza around. The guy makes pretty much everything from scratch, you should try the sausage. Don't forget some tiramisu!

Fogon del Gordo, a few blocks south of town on the Carr Sur, left hand side, green building. Awesome whole chicken, great side dishes, only $6 for a whole bird with the trimmings. Great owners, too.

And my house por supuesto, technically that's in Santa Cruz though.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

In Managua...Intermezzo del Bosque...especially when it's hot in the city.

http://www.vianica.com/restaurants/5...zzo-del-bosque

Banned
    In Between Managua, Nicaragua and Doral, Florida

Did we not meet at a Restaurant or little Bar next to some bridge on the road towards Rivas, at a farm?

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would have to respectfully disagree.

Esteli has a restaurant called "Los Chaguites" best steak,I've ever eaten,you don't even need a knife,it's that great!!

Another steak place in Esteli: El Puyaso,it's one block west of Shell Esteli.

Another excellent meat and seafood place is "Cohifer" 2 blocks south East of Esteli's cathedral .

IMO the best pollo is to be had in Nicaragua is at "El Pinareno" it's cuban owned,and delicioso,soculento!!

There is my contribution to Esteli's eating joints

BTW El Doc,hopefully we can go grab a steak at Los Chaguites and you'll se what I mean :-)

These are the only 4 I eat at,when I do eat out,Vuela Vuela used to have great eating,but lately they suck,ditto for La Torre!!
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Maria Patterson View Post
    El Tiscapa, best steak in Central America, nay, the world
    -Maria

In Managua:

For Angus certified beef - Don Candido's (behind Intercon)
    For Pullazo - Asado de Don Cesar (Entre Km 10 -11 on Carr a Masaya)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diverkev View Post
    I enjoyed a nice seafood meal at Marea Alta Seafood Bar and Grill, Los Robles, Managua
    Welcome Dk......and I must admit to not going there, but good Lord willing and the creek don't rise...I will,I am a seafood lover......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    In Jinotepe:

Pizzeria Coliseo, one block north of the big church. Simply the best pizza around. The guy makes pretty much everything from scratch, you should try the sausage. Don't forget some tiramisu!

Fogon del Gordo, a few blocks south of town on the Carr Sur, left hand side, green building. Awesome whole chicken, great side dishes, only $6 for a whole bird with the trimmings. Great owners, too.

And my house por supuesto, technically that's in Santa Cruz though.
    I want more than anything, to visit you and Roger, and put my feet under your table...........

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

JW, you can be sure we'll be sharing an awesome meal or two before long. Having your family come to the finca to eat homegrown veggies and Angus beef didn't quite work out but we'll make other plans. Once I sell all these Catahoula pups we hope to visit you and yours on the Coast. Maybe I'll bring some supplies and we can have Kevin come up to do a litle cook-off. Do you think you and Roger would be willing judges to something like that?????
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast