Thread: Santa Cruz Musings...

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Santa Cruz Musings...

Rainy season is upon us and things are muy tranquilo here in the Santa Cruz area. We're still dealing with the neighbor/cop situation which caused us to leave our finca, but our world is basically peaceful again and we seem to be making some progress towards justice. One day in the not too distant future the whole thing will make it's way into book form. For now, I'm making copious notes of the characters (good guys and bad) as well as drinking copious amounts of Toña to handle those moments when the frustration level tops the chart.

Life in this area of Nicaragua is sure making things easier on us. The Conrados are an incredible Nica family and we've never felt more welcome in the five years we've been in country. I'm meeting hard-working Nicaraguans for the first time, experiencing life without walls and barbed wire surrounding me, and the locals who pass by wave a friendly hello instead of the demanding hands-out-for-a-peso reception we got in Ochomogo, Jinotepe and Managua.

The houses on either side of our rental are a good 100 yards away which is just enough breathing room and privacy for me to feel comfortable. I spent an afternoon recently interviewing Cesar about his family's sugar cane history and am now able to watch some of the process first hand. The field behind our place was burned last month, something he told me was done every five years in order to plant the new crop. The field east of us is now being cut to lay in the freshly plowed rows and we're losing that privacy screen, but our horses sure were happy when Cesar had his workers throw the cane tops over into the corral. Sure am glad I didn't have the electric fence plugged in at the time!!

My latest gardening has had a boost from some fresh seeds sent by my Dad and the small place we're renting has been seeded with sweet cherry maters, asparagus beans, baby carrots and white corn for the first time ever. The Homestead maters that an extremely generous TRNer brought me are doing great in this location. They struggled in Ochomogo, but I was able to bring a few clones up during the move and they've adjusted nicely. Sliced one the other day and have been reeducated as to the awesomeness of this strain! Our own TRNer Thom dissed my okra on the finca the day he helped me move away from that stressful situation; said JW's are so much bigger.

Well, Thom, come see now! The okra are loving Santa Cruz and I'll be happy to fry you up a mess, maybe when JW comes for some pig sometime...quizás?
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Default Re: Santa Cruz Musings...

Just wondering.....do you ever fry green tomatoes?

Are the Conrados the First hard working honest folk you've met in Nica? Wow! that's strange, everytime I go I meet Awesome folks and scum bags too. every place is full of em
    Dios es Amor!

glad you are happy. where is this santa cruz?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

do you ever fry green tomatoes?
    Absolutamente!

Are the Conrados the First hard working honest folk you've met in Nica? Wow!
    The Conrado family owns much of this area, and they have been very friendly and helpful to us ever since we moved in. The hard-working folks are more the people that live and work in this area and nearby. Folks here get up early, some around 4am, and few seem to take siestas. One fella down the road, who butchered our last two pigs, goes to work at dawn and gets home after dark. I never seen that anywhere else in country.
    I didn't mention anything about honesty..that's damn hard to find anywhere anymore!

where is this santa cruz?
    Santa Cruz is about 8 minutes south of Jinotepe.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Absolutamente!

The Conrado family owns much of this area, and they have been very friendly and helpful to us ever since we moved in. The hard-working folks are more the people that live and work in this area and nearby. Folks here get up early, some around 4am, and few seem to take siestas. One fella down the road, who butchered our last two pigs, goes to work at dawn and gets home after dark. I never seen that anywhere else in country.
    I didn't mention anything about honesty..that's damn hard to find anywhere anymore!

Santa Cruz is about 8 minutes south of Jinotepe.
    Sounds like nice folks, how is the political climate in that area?
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.