Thread: Ashden Energy Enterprise Award goes to Nicaragua

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ashden Energy Enterprise Award to ECAMI

Impressive. ECAMI was started by the Lacayos to rebuild radio communications in rural areas after the war. Without grid electricity, they used solar photovotaic (PV) panels. Eventually ECAMI evolved into a provider of renewable energy equipment that ...
    • Installed over 400 kW PV capacity since 2004, benefitting over 100,000 people.
    • Includes 2,100 solar-home-systems; over 400 PV systems for health centres, schools, community buildings and offices in rural areas; 70 systems for telecommunications and 40 for urban houses and tourism.
    • About 170 solar-water-heating systems provided for homes, swimming pools and hotels, and over 40 wind turbines.
    • Schools get better light, radio and satellite internet, and can be used for adult literacy programmes in the evening.
    • PV supply for a mobile phone mast has cut generator use from 24 hours to four hours per day.

to quote a few points from the award bulletin

Default Re: Ashden Energy Enterprise Award goes to Nicaragua

I know I was impressed with Nicaragua's press towards alt energy the moment I entered the counrty and saw the wind power at work. Also noticed no incandesents bulbs either, just floresent. Stayed at a place in Miraflora that was on simple solar, perhaps from ECAMI ?

I thought the US was suppose to have made that change by now with the light bulbs ? What happen to that plan ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vampirebat View Post
    I know I was impressed with Nicaragua's press towards alt energy the moment I entered the counrty and saw the wind power at work. Also noticed no incandesents bulbs either, just floresent. Stayed at a place in Miraflora that was on simple solar, perhaps from ECAMI ?

I thought the US was suppose to have made that change by now with the light bulbs ? What happen to that plan ?
    China started selling us incandescents for $0.05 a piece and oil went below $40 a barrel.

I just got all the bulbs in my place to under 500 watts (for the whole house and the garden). Keep in mind, I never have them all on at once, and none in the daytime because we have skylights everywhere.

This place is drawing about 40 kWh per month including the ceiling fans (1 in every room), TV (La Baby Doc's novelas and the Backyardigans for La Baby de los Docs), the microwave (I admit it, I'm addicted to Cup-o-Soup) and TRN (on the laptop). The biggest draw is the hot water shower heads which are rarely needed cuz it's friggin hot in Granada (just like I like it).

Definitely a candidate for solar. All I need is to get a 12V fridge and solar water heater and I think I could go off the grid for good.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

El Doc...when I was a kid we had a natural gas Servel fridge. You might compare a gas fridge vs. a 12V. It cold be converted to use propane.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vampirebat View Post

Seems those bulbs are full of mercury and other harmful heavy metals and gasses, and very difficult to properly dispose of and present a health threat in the closed up North American home should one burst on the job....(which I have had several do here).....

And the fact they are made in China and not the USA....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    El Doc...when I was a kid we had a natural gas Servel fridge. You might compare a gas fridge vs. a 12V. It cold be converted to use propane.
    Now Slim unless they have changed..... the one we put on the boat one time ate more gas than the law allowed......For the work it done...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Now Slim unless they have changed..... the one we put on the boat one time ate more gas than the law allowed......For the work it done...
    That's been my experience as well.

I'm trying to find a more efficient design than what I've found around here. Hey JW, have you ever seen a thermoacoustic fridge in Nica? I'm pretty sure I could make one just using some junk electronics from the second hand market (only nerdy fascination of mine).

No refrigerant and no moving parts.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Hey Doc, just sent you a private message, because I couldn't find this post, but here is the Servel Fridge. I'd have to look again, but think there is no moving parts. Not cheap, but is a very effecient unit. One could easily and very cheaply pick up an RV fridge. I have pikced them up at auto wrecking yards that take RV's too and have paid only $35.00 for one.

Servel has been around a long time, if I have my history correct they started out as part of the Hurcules wooden body manufacture's (woody wagons) and deversified, when that type of work was no longer needed.

http://www.offgridappliances.com/cab.../cf-servel.htm

These are not cheap, but well made with a low energy consumption, I will propbably either buy one of these or look for a good newer taller RV one and drag in down there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    That's been my experience as well.

I'm trying to find a more efficient design than what I've found around here. Hey JW, have you ever seen a thermoacoustic fridge in Nica? I'm pretty sure I could make one just using some junk electronics from the second hand market (only nerdy fascination of mine).

No refrigerant and no moving parts.
    It is called and "Ice Box" El D....You remember, the man used to come around the neighborhood in a horse drawn cart with his "Tongs" holding them with part of a 300 pound scored block by one side of the handle so it gripped the 50 pound piece of ice......

And some of the women would say, can't we "Work" out the bill?

And he would reply....Lady, I am about to F#ck myself out of business...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    It is called and "Ice Box" El D....You remember, the man used to come around the neighborhood in a horse drawn cart with his "Tongs" holding them with part of a 300 pound scored block by one side of the handle so it gripped the 50 pound piece of ice......

And some of the women would say, can't we "Work" out the bill?

And he would reply....Lady, I am about to F#ck myself out of business...

It's been a long day. Time to score a bottle of FDC.

Maybe you can build one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CbUk...eature=related

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richit View Post
    Maybe you can build one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CbUk...eature=related
    Please guy's I have heard about this and never seen it......Somebody please bring me a copy to see........

But I did read the book......

And I like Harrison Ford.....