Thread: Californian Scuba Diver dies in SJDS caused by Equipment problems

Default Californian Scuba Diver dies in SJDS caused by Equipment problems

http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/nacionales/50295

A 62 year old Californian man, Julius Johnston, was killed when his scuba equipment failed off od SJDS. This was his first time in Nicaragua, but he had intentions of investing in San Juan del Sur.

Apparently the man was an aficionado of diving, him and his 6 friends hired a boat and guide to take them into the waters around SJDS. Apparent cause of death was equipment failure, but his body has been transfered to the "Instituto de Medicina Legal de Managua" in order to determine for sure the cause of death. It is not clear if his equipment was rented or not.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Californian Scuba Diver dies in SJDS caused by Equipment problems

Quote Originally Posted by tres frijoles View Post
    http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/nacionales/50295

A 62 year old Californian man, Julius Johnston, was killed when his scuba equipment failed off od SJDS. This was his first time in Nicaragua, but he had intentions of investing in San Juan del Sur.

Apparently the man was an aficionado of diving, him and his 6 friends hired a boat and guide to take them into the waters around SJDS. Apparent cause of death was equipment failure, but his body has been transfered to the "Instituto de Medicina Legal de Managua" in order to determine for sure the cause of death. It is not clear if his equipment was rented or not.
    Just a reminder for all you SCUBA guys. Always know where your buddy is.

After years of diving commercially on the end of an umbilical, I find SCUBA to be very dangerous (not that I'll ever stop, I just prefer a hose and a tender).
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    Just a reminder for all you SCUBA guys. Always know where your buddy is.

After years of diving commercially on the end of an umbilical, I find SCUBA to be very dangerous (not that I'll ever stop, I just prefer a hose and a tender).

Wow, thanks for the heads up on this. Doc, were you/are you a commercial diver? Do you like to dive? I love to dive and do it often down here and am always looking for folks that like to do it. My one big diving buddy has moved to Guatemala so I am kind of solo.

I have a ton of equipment and stuff down here. Let me know if you, or anyone else for that matter, likes to dive. I have been doing it for 25 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    Wow, thanks for the heads up on this. Doc, were you/are you a commercial diver? Do you like to dive? I love to dive and do it often down here and am always looking for folks that like to do it. My one big diving buddy has moved to Guatemala so I am kind of solo.

I have a ton of equipment and stuff down here. Let me know if you, or anyone else for that matter, likes to dive. I have been doing it for 25 years.
    Sweet. I was a commercial diver back in the good old days. Now mostly only scuba, though I have gotten my hands on a surface supplied rig a few times in past few years.

I don't have any equipment down here. Figured there was nowhere to turn the tanks. Gimme a buzz and well go spear something tasty.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    Sweet. I was a commercial diver back in the good old days. Now mostly only scuba, though I have gotten my hands on a surface supplied rig a few times in past few years.

I don't have any equipment down here. Figured there was nowhere to turn the tanks. Gimme a buzz and well go spear something tasty.
    Doc, I have tanks, regulators, and some mask, fins and such. What I may not have, unless you are an XXL or XL or S is a BC.

They fill tanks here in Managua, a bit expensive, but it can be done. I dive Apoyo quite a bit and also Xiloa. I have never been to SJDS to go diving, but would like to or to Ostional. I Do go out to atlantic coast some.

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Doc, I have tanks, regulators, and some mask, fins and such. What I may not have, unless you are an XXL or XL or S is a BC.

They fill tanks here in Managua, a bit expensive, but it can be done. I dive Apoyo quite a bit and also Xiloa. I have never been to SJDS to go diving, but would like to or to Ostional. I Do go out to atlantic coast some.
    We (SJDS) had a PADI shop but it closed. A new shop is to open later this year but don't have the details yet.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Blog Entries

I'm trying to get out there some time in the next couple months. I was waiting for Down South Bob to see if we can make it a road trip.

I'm 6'2" and 170 pounds (with no diet and no exercise! ). I'm not hard to fit a BC, and if the water is warm enough I just wear shorts, put the tank and a backpack and go without it. I've found that I'm just about neutral with a steel tank.

Have any pictures below Apoyo o Xiloa?

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey guy's don't forget me, I can still clear my ears with the movement of my lower jaw.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Hey guy's don't forget me, I can still clear my ears with the movement of my lower jaw.....
    So we have heard

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danpolley View Post
    So we have heard

Is that a nasty joke?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Is that a nasty joke?
    Ah hmmmm........ I say boy....did you leave the gate open for that one!

Blog Entries

Yes I did that, is what makes this site interesting.....

Is that a nasty joke?
    Never

Quote Originally Posted by Danpolley View Post
    So we have heard
    LOL, Don't take that JPJW.....

Quote Originally Posted by tres frijoles View Post
    Have any pictures below Apoyo o Xiloa?

After I flooded my third underwater camera sometime in the early 90's, I said to hell with that and I will only leave the bubbles and the leave the pictures to someone else.

They are interesting dives, Xiloa has a lot of large Guapotes (there when I have no speargun, gone when I do) and the topography is like diving a jagged moonscape.

Supposedly there are some submerged petroglyphs or whatever you call stuff that old indians wrote on cave walls in Apoyo, but I have not seen them. I did find an sunken sailboat, an axel off of a box car (what it looks like to me anyway), several paddles for kyacks, and other junk. Apoyo, at least where I have dove is pretty darn clean amazingly enough and I have been down to about 130' in it.

Xiloa has more trash and stuff. They supposedly find old military stuff over by the old army base at times. I have not seen any of that stuff, I was buys trying to line up on one of the guapotes.