Thread: Rain, plenty of RAIN!!!!!

Blog Entries

Default Rain, plenty of RAIN!!!!!

Last month's 20 inches of rain seemed like plenty, half way through July & we had 30 inches of rainfall, ending the month we have 45+ inches (the gauge ran over a few times), with one day to go, over 43 inches of the rain came in the first 20 days of the month.. Several days I had a stream running across much of my garden.

Looks like the okra, eggplant, &black-eyed peas will fair ok. Tomatoes not so good,the first of the month I had 140 plants, I counted this morning & had 10, 1/2 of those look like they might live. Have planted corn 3 times in the past 45 days, hoping this week's planting comes, my guess is the others rotted in the ground. Looks like the butternut & zucchini squash are gone, some pepper seedlings look surprisingly well, we will see. Weather is tough here, I keep planting & one of these days I will hit it right, so far I have been off the mark, but gotta give it a try

Been working to weed the garden & have about 80% done. Bush around the rest of the property is growing out of control & if it ever stops raining I will start looking a team to begin chopping.

I was reading a seed catalog the other day & the description for one of the plants was "does well in stressful conditions", I think that is the kind I need. 40" of rain in 3 weeks seems to be stressful to plants, at least to mine.

Plantain is loving the rain & the rockman has been giving me a break. Starting to get a few pear (avocado), so that eases the pain. Callala (passion fruit) bearing nice, getting a few lime (another favorite of the rockman), almost enough okra to start eating, peanuts loving the rain & look twice as good as last years crop (which I thought was good).

The pig is starting to show some signs of weight gain, I have this "formula" (from my "pig books") for figuring weight by measuring girth & length, last week I figured him at 145lbs, about 80lbs shy of my target weight. He has started grazing grass (I have plenty right now) & I am starting to work more corn into his diet to help improve the quality of the meat (more info from my "pig books"). Still half convinced he is either exercising or anorexic, this pig is starting to get on my nerves, I need this pig to get fat, I have already got plans for slow roasting the shoulders (skin on) for 5-6 hours, until the meat falls off the bone & the skin is nice & crisp, the pounds of Italian sausage I will make with all the trimmings, smoking the ribs, carnitas, bacon, I have had nearly a year to think about all the nice things I will do with this pig, I just cannot get him to cooperate. I am going to get some help with butchering this one, but the next one I will try on my own, maybe by the time the next one is ready I will have a smokehouse.

Almost 50" of rain, you would think it has rained all day every day, but really we have had some decent days, one day it rained 10", another day 7". The days of sunshine we have had are really helping the plants that survived, the black-eyed peas have gone crazy & looks like the okra is following suit, a nice thing as black-eyed peas & fried okra are 2 of my favorite foods, have lots of cantaloupe, & have a few watermelon (red & yellow) almost ready to pick

Been planting trees all week, Cashew, Creole Lime, Bitter & Sweet Orange, Sugar Mango , Pear (avocado), Royal Ponciana (for shade),coconut, & a few other citrus I am unsure of. Planted lots of flowers & hedges this week & have more rooting that I will put out soon. I have been planting trees the past year & have a few over 10' high, it is nice to see things growing, in 5 years this will be a beautiful piece of land, right now I am still fighting to domesticate it.

This years Crab Soup Festival (August 27, celebrating the emancipation of slavery on the Island) looks to be shaping up to be one of the best, lots of participation from all the Barrios & some advance planning seem to have things on track, the week after that Corn Island will be hosting a softball tournament with teams coming from all over the States to play, the teams are made up mostly of Nicaraguans living in the States. 2 years ago I attended it in Granada, should be a nice boost for the Island, if the turnout is like that I saw in Granada the Island will be packed. I heard a that they have 17 teams confirmed for the tournament, should be a good time & looks like the Island will be packed.

Default Re: Rain, plenty of RAIN!!!!!

Ashame INTUR or someone else isn't advertising the Crab Soup Festival... This happened to me a few years back, made my way to Big Corn and no one had crab soup, since I missed it by a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by tres frijoles View Post
    Ashame INTUR or someone else isn't advertising the Crab Soup Festival... This happened to me a few years back, made my way to Big Corn and no one had crab soup, since I missed it by a week or two.
    They barely acknowledge the existence of the Atlantic Coast much less advertise it. They only have domestic flights in Corn Island, Bluefields and Port but they have immigration people checking passports and cedulas of passengers. Plus DGA (Customs) is building offices. So much for unification and reconciliation with the autonomous regions.
    You'll excuse me, gentlemen. Your business is politics, mine is running a saloon.
    Casablanca-1942

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do your self a BIG Favor......Get rid of the pig...Whole lot less hassle, and cheaper too, to let the Nicaraguan Swine Producers Acciossation grow your pork needs.....

And save me some of the Okra......

We have now about 50 chickens roaming the homestead, and I cannot grow a thing, what seeds they don't scratch up, soon as they sprout.....Another Plant done gone...

I am going to have to pin them up, only thing they don't mess with is my genuine sweet taters from the states which are prolific....

You want some cuttings? I can send you some on a direct midday flight to Bluefields and on to the Island......

Wrap 'em up in wet newpaper and in a cool place they keep for days, let me know....But that devilish pig will ruin them.......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Do your self a BIG Favor......Get rid of the pig...Whole lot less hassle, and cheaper too, to let the Nicaraguan Swine Producers Acciossation grow your pork needs.....

And save me some of the Okra......

We have now about 50 chickens roaming the homestead, and I cannot grow a thing, what seeds they don't scratch up, soon as they sprout.....Another Plant done gone...

I am going to have to pin them up, only thing they don't mess with is my genuine sweet taters from the states which are prolific....

You want some cuttings? I can send you some on a direct midday flight to Bluefields and on to the Island......

Wrap 'em up in wet newpaper and in a cool place they keep for days, let me know....But that devilish pig will ruin them.......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Talk about the sky falling! What a phenomenal amount of rain! I have trouble even imagining 10" in a day, like being under a celestial waterfall. It's a wonder y'all aren't washed away.

Are you aware of anyone converting that to electricity? Such mass falling over great heights is a lot of energy. Thinking: something like a giant ferris wheel (a water wheel) where the empty half rising is covered, cranking a generator. Or a similar rig with deep 'buckets' (for splash), but with two axis so it could be built nearly vertical on a single power tower.

Also I'd think the by-product, clean water, would be marketable, but that would depend on shipping (transport) costs. Perhaps a huge, streamline plastic bag full towed to Qatar or Florida could fetch a good price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Talk about the sky falling! What a phenomenal amount of rain! I have trouble even imagining 10" in a day, like being under a celestial waterfall. It's a wonder y'all aren't washed away.

Are you aware of anyone converting that to electricity? Such mass falling over great heights is a lot of energy. Thinking: something like a giant ferris wheel (a water wheel) where the empty half rising is covered, cranking a generator. Or a similar rig with deep 'buckets' (for splash), but with two axis so it could be built nearly vertical on a single power tower.

Also I'd think the by-product, clean water, would be marketable, but that would depend on shipping (transport) costs. Perhaps a huge, streamline plastic bag full towed to Qatar or Florida could fetch a good price.
    I like your thinking, even the rise and fall of the tides could be harnessed....

Blog Entries

A water pipeline to S. Florida would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    I like your thinking, even the rise and fall of the tides could be harnessed....
    Gotta watch it....if ya could p*ss mother nature off, just think what would happen fooling around with the old man on the moon.

Blog Entries

I would like to put both Mother Nature, and the Man on the Moon in Mule collar, and make them do OUR bidding.....

Water is the last thing we need! Rainy season is same as Florida. You should store it like they do in Key West.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    I would like to put both Mother Nature, and the Man on the Moon in Mule collar, and make them do OUR bidding.....
    Rain, oh how I love the rain!

You see, being a simple boy in the country, rain brought relief…. sometimes. I can remember endless days on a tractor cultivating corn, beans, and that darned cotton.

I would see a small cloud in the sky and pray to the heavens that it would settle upon me and drop all of its waters so that I could be relieved of this task and duty to my keeper; my father and family.

I have always loved the wind and the rain, with lightning streaking through the skies to reveal the shapes of the clouds.

As a man in later years, I would watch the weather and when there was a depression in the Gulf of Mexico, I would head forward onto that point to which the predicted storm was to land. All the time, I was that single car headed south while all else were evacuating north.

Never had I been able to catch the force of the hurricane until I was one of those in Nicaragua during Mitch. From this storm my love of the people of Nicaragua was increased ten fold, for I watched them pick themselves up, dust their pants and get on with life.

It is truly the rain that gives forth our life, so I love the rain. The end!

Blog Entries

Ya' know that is kinda poetic.....

And I love a storm to long as I ain't out in it on the sea.....

Had my boat struck by lightning twice....Screwed up the electronics and the TV.....
    Besides putting a ringing in my ears.....

When a storm comes up I call my children to watch with me, and we talk about it.....

Ya' just cannot go thru life sticking your head in the sand when things happen beyond our control can ya DSB?

Blog Entries

Ya' know that is kinda poetic.....

And I love a storm to long as I ain't out in it on the sea.....

Had my boat struck by lightning twice....Screwed up the electronics and the TV.....
    Besides putting a ringing in my ears.....

When a storm comes up I call my children to watch with me, and we talk about it.....

Ya' just cannot go thru life sticking your head in the sand when things happen beyond our control can ya DSB?

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Kevin, buena suerte with all your gardening adventures. It truly is a try, try again kind of deal. When I think I've got something right, some new problem rears it's ugly head.

We've not had nearly so much rain as y'all but still the maters have been splitting and the okra production is down to 1 or 2 per plant per day when the skies are grey.

I just start more seedlings and keep planting as you do. On the real bright side, my corn is looking real promising, at least the ones that the horse didn't get. I peeked at one ear this morning, a silver queen, and it looks as if it'll be ready in a week or so. I'm droolin' already. It's been over 5 years since I've had a real ear of sweet corn on the cob.

Remember that MASH show where the priest spent so much time growing his corn and, at the end of the show, the cook had creamed it all for easier eating? You can be sure, no one's gonna prepare this stuff but me!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

On a slightly different note...

I found it weird that I only rained on one day for an hour while I was in Managua. I was there from the 12th of July to 19th of this year.

I consider that lucky... considering I was doing missions work in the Managua City Dump and in other places.