Thread: Step up - Your partial (or Full) Nica wedding..

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Step up - Your partial (or Full) Nica wedding..

Where...did the idea come from.. The "egg on head" post of a few weeks back.. (see story)

What ... Describe how the cultures of you and your new spouse clashed / complimented

Who..... Self explanatory

Where.. Self explanatory

So my story..

Chilo and I met in a small contract manufacturing shop... She was winding transformers in the regular half of the contract manufactures plant, I was in the half doing groovy stuff with 3D glasses for IMAX...

We managed to connect and dated for about one year and a half ( living together for a year) and then planned a wedding for July 18 92 to be exact.

She bought the rings on a visit to Nica in Sept 91 for $125 US total for the pair IIRC.. A full month and a bit disposable income for us at the time.

She was a member of a nice church of New Apostolic's where it was decided to do the ceremony.. Some how she managed to convince the the powers that be there to allow the change of coins and the person walking in front of the wedding party with the star (Something I have no knowledge of even today other than I think they were catholic symbolism)

The reception was set in a small community hall only a few km from where we live today.. All in all we scrimped together about $2,200 bucks over a year for everything (Tux, dress, hall, food etc etc)

My mother (Dutch) and her (recent) husband (German) would have nothing to do with a cash bar so it was off to the LCBO and the beer store for a couple hundred dollars of hooch which they funded.. They invited a bunch of their German friends that of course required Hot Meat and veggies, potatoes and cold salads were an "Non Negotiable".. Then there was Chilos half that need an entirely luke warm combo of tortillas rice, meat, beans and platino etc etc..

So the big day comes.. We both manage to take off the Friday and spend the entire day cooking (2 bedroom apartment, oven with 4 burners with pots of something boiling and 100 chicken parts sone in batches of 20 or so) .. We finished at 1:30AM and got a bit of shut eye..

Next morning Chilo went off to get ready and me , my (soon to be brother in law on my side) shuffled food back and forth to the hall and picked up and locked up the hooch.

Service was funny as 1:00PM is well 1PM.. All of the stoic Europeans were seated by 12:55... 1:00 came and went.. Half (Groom's half) of the church looking at their watches in typical northern European impatience.

Chilo's half had something like 10 ppl (of the 40 some invited..

Chilo did not show up until 1:10 (Which was good for the family who took her the the church which takes punctuality in a +1 to +1.5 hour of the target time)

Service started at 1:30 I think with the stragglers on Chilo's side coming in to the church just as we finished our vows..

So off to the reception ..

Now you all know that you do not invite a "finite" amount of PPL to a Nica wedding.. One friend tells 2 friends and so on.. As this was a very tightly budgeted dinner/dance/meal we were able to keep the intrusion under 10 uninvited.. But it was hard work..The bar tender was hard nosed as well saying he would shutter the doors if he thought there were too many people.

We got there and the worst bit for my mom was ... The food was cold .... The beer was hot ... The beer was made cold but the food (reheated by a nice pair old 'salvadorian lady friends of Chilo's mother) was not up to German standards.. You know that a German would even complain about not having anything to complain about...

Dinner was done and the bar about 1/3 down when the obligatory dance(s) happened.. (The one and only time in my life I have danced.. Wife still uses that fact/story as a device to introduce me to any new Nica or CA friends)

After the dance a fellow from Guatemala gets up and takes it upon himself to be the MC.. Constantly thanking "The Canadian community" for coming to this event

Then my Dad took charge of the dance floor.. I certainly did not get his Dance genes.. He MC'd for a bunch of community events for bot the Lions club and Dutch club cultural events in the previous 20yrs. He had the Bird dance trained to the Nica's in no time.. Also one dance I do not know the name of with a "People tunnel" and line dancing mixed.. He had fun.

Brother Daniel booked a band.. The hottie in the black dress, and skillful player of the tambourine I might add , soon made all the old Germans forget their cold veggie woes..

My cousin, over from Holland, left his camera (big mistake) on a table and it disappeared..

At 11:55 PM David (who's B'day Was 5 min hours later, July 19 ) was "egged" on the head by one or two people. I did not see it, but Chilo related it to me when I asked her about the egg on head thread posted here a few weeks back.

The beer and hooch (No FDC in Canada in those days so it was mostly Smirnoff and Bacardi ) was gone by 12:00 .. Once announced, the place cleared out in a shot...

You could hear a cricket chirp...

All of Chilo's family was gallivanting around town in the limo (Brother David rented it so I was not worried there)

Maria's brother Louis was crying again.. Mostly about missing Nica and his brother George (Mentioned a couple weeks back and WRT Aug 19)

So after the place cleared Chilo, in her wedding dress set to the dishes. I stacked tables and chairs in my Tux sweeping and mopping around the other 3 or 4 drunkards left on the floor..

Hall superintendent came to close the doors at 1:00... Chilo and I had packed up the limo (Which returned at 12:50 ish with wasted revilers who went their own separate ways.. ) and we drove home to our apartment thankful that the whole thing was over..

Next day we unwrapped every thing and quietly laughed and smiled as we found our $2,200 wedding party had yielded exactly $300 in cash and an almost exact duplicate of every household appliance we currently owned..

It was good..

Now your turn...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Default Re: Step up - Your partial (or Full) Nica wedding..

before I go, I have a few questions... Where does your wifes name come from, never heard that name in Nicaragua before.

So the Egg on the head is a Nica thing after-all?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tres frijoles View Post
    before I go, I have a few questions... Where does your wifes name come from, never heard that name in Nicaragua before.

So the Egg on the head is a Nica thing after-all?

Real name is Maria Auxilladoria, Sister #1 is Maria Carmin, Sister #2 Maria Herminia, Sister #3 Maria Nella, Sister #4 Marta.. To separate all of the Maria's , nick names were used.. Chilo is her nick name, and has supplanted it (real name) to a large extent..

Blog Entries

Two great posts!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

I met my wife Reyna at work around 1999. We both worked at a large bakery (Entemanns for anyone who's lived in the northeast) She worked on the packaging line checking the cakes as they went by on the conveyor for defects and centering them before they went into the box forming machine. I was the rookie packaging mechanic who was assigned to this particular line because it was the biggest piece of shit machine in the place.

Having worked as a machinist the prior ten years for a company that went out of business making mixers and depositers for Bakeries. I new a few tricks and fabricated a few new parts on a milling machine and lathe that no one new how to use and was able to get my line running great.

So any way I never minded working on the line because of this cutie who caught my eye. She was very shy and it took a while for her to talk to me. Around the same time my girlfriend had broken up with me and I got myself all psyched up to ask Reyna out on a Date. So I go to work and she's not there . this happens for a few days and I finally ask someone where she is. She went on vacation to nicaragua for two weeks .

I didn't know her brother Cesar was one of the mechanic's in the shop and i hadn't mentioned my Interest in Reyna to anyone, so as soon as people figured out why I never minded working on the shitty packing line the rumor's started. "Richie's bangin' Cesars sister" "Cesar's going to kick your ASS" "Cesars going to Kill You".

He Is a really good guy and one of the first people I became friendly with at work and had no problem with me dating his sister.

Reyna had a 9 year old daughter from a previous marriage. Her ex was from nica and she had helped him come to the USA around 1991 even though the marriage wasn't working out, with the hope that he would shape up and take advantage of the opportunities here. Never happened and they divorced and he's never supported his daughter. No ones heard from him for the last 5 years.

After about a year of dating she moved into my house and we got married in 2002. We were married in a civil ceremony at a restuarant with about 50 guests (from what I remember everyone was on time including her family) During the reception we kept hearing people screaming and cheering at the bar next to us and it turned out that the Yankees and Mets where playing each other(subway series).

I'm not much of a writer and Since we have some really good ones here at TRN, I hope I didn't Bore you guy's

I've been happily married 7 years now to a great nica girl and still haven't aquired a taste for gallo pinto, Indio viejo or naca tamales....and I cant speak or understand spanish

Entenmann's cookies are the best! Sounds like her family has been very americanized, showing up on time and all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richit View Post
    I met my wife Reyna at work around 1999. We both worked at a large bakery (Entemanns for anyone who's lived in the northeast) She worked on the packaging line checking the cakes as they went by on the conveyor for defects and centering them before they went into the box forming machine. I was the rookie packaging mechanic who was assigned to this particular line because it was the biggest piece of shit machine in the place.

Having worked as a machinist the prior ten years for a company that went out of business making mixers and depositers for Bakeries. I new a few tricks and fabricated a few new parts on a milling machine and lathe that no one new how to use and was able to get my line running great.

So any way I never minded working on the line because of this cutie who caught my eye. She was very shy and it took a while for her to talk to me. Around the same time my girlfriend had broken up with me and I got myself all psyched up to ask Reyna out on a Date. So I go to work and she's not there . this happens for a few days and I finally ask someone where she is. She went on vacation to nicaragua for two weeks .

I didn't know her brother Cesar was one of the mechanic's in the shop and i hadn't mentioned my Interest in Reyna to anyone, so as soon as people figured out why I never minded working on the shitty packing line the rumor's started. "Richie's bangin' Cesars sister" "Cesar's going to kick your ASS" "Cesars going to Kill You".

He Is a really good guy and one of the first people I became friendly with at work and had no problem with me dating his sister.

Reyna had a 9 year old daughter from a previous marriage. Her ex was from nica and she had helped him come to the USA around 1991 even though the marriage wasn't working out, with the hope that he would shape up and take advantage of the opportunities here. Never happened and they divorced and he's never supported his daughter. No ones heard from him for the last 5 years.

After about a year of dating she moved into my house and we got married in 2002. We were married in a civil ceremony at a restuarant with about 50 guests (from what I remember everyone was on time including her family) During the reception we kept hearing people screaming and cheering at the bar next to us and it turned out that the Yankees and Mets where playing each other(subway series).

I'm not much of a writer and Since we have some really good ones here at TRN, I hope I didn't Bore you guy's

I've been happily married 7 years now to a great nica girl and still haven't aquired a taste for gallo pinto, Indio viejo or naca tamales....and I cant speak or understand spanish
    Another great post .... I agree about the naca tamales but gallo pinto is great!

Jonh ... did you really get married?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Jonh ... did you really get married?
    Twice, to the same Nica.

Once in a civil ceremony in Hicksville, the second time at the Cathedral in Esteli. We met in about 1992 when she worked in a photo lab, but we didn't start going out until a year later. We were married in '94, and again in 2001.

Neither was a "big" wedding. The first one was at a country club, outdoors in the spring time. Our limo to the reception (at my parents house) was in a '59 Cadillac stretch limo, red with a white roof. Friends and family helped us celebrate, with all variety of music and food.

In Esteli, we met with the priest, he looked up my wife in the parish records to verify she'd been baptized and everything, we confessed, gave him fifty bucks (way more than he'd asked for), and we got the blessing from the Big Guy during a Sunday mass, with family attending. Food and FDC followed a short walk from the cathedral.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh God these stories are from the heart, and just great.....I tell you, and mine is a bit sight worse.....I am going to wait for Jonh first....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Go!

Blog Entries

Now that Jonh has bared his soul before God and Man....And Bill and Richit, and 3F....I guess I need to as well.....

I only lived with my present wife till after all four of our children were born, it was the Indian way, both she and I accepted it, my name was put on all the civil papers required for the children, but had never had a ceremony civil or by her Adventist Church cerimony.....She is hollerin' for that now......

Now for most of my life, I had the morals of an alley cat, being a man of the sea and all.....

But I decided WTF, I need to do this, I had been married before and it crashed and burned in my younger days, and I was for the most part just not in the mood to do that again...

So we decided on a civil ceremony and made it a double wedding with my gringo neighbor and his future wife, in the year and on the date that Hurricane BETA washed ashore on the Atlantic Coast of Nicaragua miles to the south......

Nobody came, but the judge and lawyer and a few of their familys......

I had a 300 pound pig already BBQ'ed and all the cold salads and booze to go with it plus some of them corn tortillas......

My neighbor being a devote Christian wanted no part of the booze and held his reception to Mr. Steves home next door, hardly any one came to that either.....

All the drunks in my family migrated to my house where the food and FDC was.....

My brother in law from Corn Island got belligerent drunk, his wife, my wife's sister, whom I refer to as "M60" Like a belted machine gun, would not shut up and leave the man alone......

They wound up bringing their fight into my house and I had to kick Herman's (my brother in law) A$$ to get them to leave the party because of the bad mood she put him in and he not falling down drunk, but when he whacked me, I answered in kind.....

We had a hell of a lot of BBQ to eat and give away......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Now that Jonh has bared his soul before God and Man....And Bill and Richit, and 3F....I guess I need to as well.....

I only lived with my present wife till after all four of our children were born, it was the Indian way, both she and I accepted it, my name was put on all the civil papers required for the children, but had never had a ceremony civil or by her Adventist Church cerimony.....She is hollerin' for that now......

Now for most of my life, I had the morals of an alley cat, being a man of the sea and all.....

But I decided WTF, I need to do this, I had been married before and it crashed and burned in my younger days, and I was for the most part just not in the mood to do that again...

So we decided on a civil ceremony and made it a double wedding with my gringo neighbor and his future wife, in the year and on the date that Hurricane BETA washed ashore on the Atlantic Coast of Nicaragua miles to the south......

Nobody came, but the judge and lawyer and a few of their familys......

I had a 300 pound pig already BBQ'ed and all the cold salads and booze to go with it plus some of them corn tortillas......

My neighbor being a devote Christian wanted no part of the booze and held his reception to Mr. Steves home next door, hardly any one came to that either.....

All the drunks in my family migrated to my house where the food and FDC was.....

My brother in law from Corn Island got belligerent drunk, his wife, my wife's sister, whom I refer to as "M60" Like a belted machine gun, would not shut up and leave the man alone......

They wound up bringing their fight into my house and I had to kick Herman's (my brother in law) A$$ to get them to leave the party because of the bad mood she put him in and he not falling down drunk, but when he whacked me, I answered in kind.....

We had a hell of a lot of BBQ to eat and give away......
    You are getting close to my Tennessee memories, be careful as I might share some of them, and you might not like them, then again they may just be fine
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Blog Entries

Don't be worried, the'll be just fine......

Blog Entries

As per my post below and David's egg on head bit, he just had his 40'th B'day..

His Wife did a "cake" twist on the egg on head bit...

Photo 6 here

and the full 5 frame per second set here...