Thread: The bus to Puerto Cabezas

Cool The bus to Puerto Cabezas

Hello everyone, I'm a new member to this forum, but not entirely new to reading posts on this forum. I've been reading stuff on here for some time. This however is my first post. For the last few years I had been planning a trip back to Puerto Cabezas (I was born there) but did not want to fly to Port, I wanted to take the bus. There was very little info or advice on doing this, and the little info I did find tended to be negative and 'scary.'

I vowed I would see for myself how 'terrible' the trip on the bus actually was and I promised myself I would upload pictures and info for others like me in the future who might want info on this ... so here it is ...

The bus cost $21 per person each way, so for my wife and I we spent $84 total. HUGE savings over the plane ticket to Port.

The trip going took us a full day and a half (mainly because we got stuck in a traffic jam right outside of Managua because of a bank robbery.) We didn't move for hours. My wife and I fell asleep and when we woke up 6 hours later we were still on the side of the road! The driver was spread out next to the bus asleep. We left Managua at 7pm Monday, and arrived at 6am Wednesday. So if time is an issue this might not be an option for you. We had 3 weeks so it didn't matter.

Coming back the trip was much faster. We left Puerto at 10am Saturday and arrived back in Managua at 2pm Sunday. A full day.

The bus wasn't as bumpy as people said it was. It did get really bumpy the last 4 - 5 hours of the trip, but my bones were not rattled out of place as some people said they would get (joking.) I slept with no problems. There were many stops which allowed us to stretch our legs and grab something to eat, and use the restroom. That was one major thing I wondered about BEFORE taking the trip ... where there sufficient bathroom breaks, dinner breaks, etc.? The answer is YES. Even if you have to use the restroom on the road the driver will be more than happy to stop and let you do your business. The bus we took going broke down a few times but the drivers/mechanics fixed it and we were up and running in no time. I have traveled across the U.S. (from California to Mississippi) on Greyhound and once we broke down in Texas and we had to wait out in the freezing cold in the snow for 8 hours! Until a 'back-up' bus came. The driver obvioulsy was not going to fix the bus (even if he knew how, which he didn't). So it was really cool to see such resilience on the part of the bus drivers.

There were a total of three bus drivers on the trip, both going and coming. They took turns driving, unlike Greyhound where you constantly switch buses and/or drivers. ALSO, different buses are in different conditions and owned by different people. The 1st bus we took going was really dirty and broke down a lot, the one we took coming back was clean and never broke down once. The bus you take will depend on what experience you will have. My family knew which bus was best and helped us select the best one on our return trip. It drizzled a little both going and coming. We took the trip in January of this year (2009), I know the roads become impassable during the rainy season so keep that in mind if the bus is something you are interested in taking.

Finally, if you have never riden Greyhound or any type of city bus DO NOT RIDE THIS ONE! This is for experienced bus riders, not novices. This is not the type of thing you should pop your cherry on. My wife and I have ridden the bus throughout the United States, across Mexico and across Costa Rica, and Nicaragua and we ride the bus throughout L.A. all the time. We've riden Greyhound from L.A. to San Diego. You get the idea. If you are picky, particular, prissy, pompous or any other combination of these things THE BUS IS NOT FOR YOU! I doubt though that you would even be going to Puerto Cabezas or the Mining Triangle to begin with. If you have back SERIOUS problems I also would not recommend this. If you have ADHD or a problem sitting still for more than one minute THE BUS IS NOT FOR YOU! If you are a person who thinks everything in the U.S. is better THE BUS IS NOT FOR YOU and neither is Puerto Cabezas! Otherwise it's a really beautiful trip. You get to see a side of the country most people never get to see. When I was a kid you couldn't travel this road without fearing for your life. It's safe now and nobody bother's you. Okay, here are some photos. Hope all this info helped.

There is nothing free about markets.

Default Re: The bus to Puerto Cabezas

Great info and pics..Welcome aboard!!

Blog Entries

Great story! Thanks for sharing it, and welcome aboard!

Thanks for reading.

Great contribution to the site, thanks for posting. Hope you post many more.

...and by the way, interesting webpage, is "REVENGE OF LA LLORONA" based on the Nicaraguan tale, or on a Nicaraguan Tail for that matter?

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theNicaULuv2Hate View Post
    Thanks for reading.
    Thanks for sharing both the story and the photos.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Well Howdy.. Thanx for the pix and welcome..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    Great contribution to the site, thanks for posting. Hope you post many more.

...and by the way, interesting webpage, is "REVENGE OF LA LLORONA" based on the Nicaraguan tale, or on a Nicaraguan Tail for that matter?
    No, it's based on a Mexican tale I heard when I was a kid. I just took the idea (which is pretty serious) and made a funny T&A film.

Blog Entries

Great post ... keep 'em coming.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Is Estesa screwed up again (I mean more than usual) or are the photos gone?
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    Is Estesa screwed up again (I mean more than usual) or are the photos gone?
    Photos are there.

Wonderful post! Any pics or advice on Puerto Cabezas would be appreciated as I'm hoping to go this winter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    Photos are there.
    Estesa is the culprit. Can't seem to get anything working today. The pictures come in half way and then freeze up. Connection is in and out. Been trying to send the same email for the past 30 minutes. I gotta go get that 3G service on my Smartphone pronto.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Awesome first post, hope you post more often!

Can't seem to get anything working today.
    Seems like there's serious internet problems hoy. I've been trying to download a new driver for Windows 98 (yeah, we're still using dinosaurs) to accomodate Claro's 3G internet service for the house and am having a real bad time of it. UGH! BTW, thanks for the pix from yesterday's billiard party, hope you and Edna had a great time.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: The bus to Puerto Cabezas

Great story and pictures! Some questions;
    1. Does the bus stop in Matagalpa to take on passengers (or do I have to go to Managua to catch the bus)?
    2. If someone wanted a break, would it not be possible to buy a ticket to Siuna, stay overnight, and take the next bus the next day to PC?
    We're all looking forward to more posts from you. Thanks!

O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

Good info! Keep em coming.

My avatar is meant to promote a negative visual response and I make no moral equivocations between images. To me all are scumbags to some degree and each has own emotional response.

Quote Originally Posted by dixietraveller View Post
    Great story and pictures! Some questions;
    1. Does the bus stop in Matagalpa to take on passengers (or do I have to go to Managua to catch the bus)?
    2. If someone wanted a break, would it not be possible to buy a ticket to Siuna, stay overnight, and take the next bus the next day to PC?
    We're all looking forward to more posts from you. Thanks!

You can catch a bus from Matagalpa at the COTRAN de Guanuca terminal to Siuna by way of Rio Blanco and Mulukuku. Or you can leave from Jinotega's north terminal on a bus bound for Waslala ... from there, you board a second bus to Siuna, and then another to Puerto Cabezas. I did not do either of these routes but people I talked to have and say it works just fine, as long as the weather permits. The bus to Puerto Cabezas stops in Siuna no matter where it originates from and you can get off there and just hop on another one the following day when it passes. BUT, you will have to pay another $20. The full fair. I saw many people haggle this but to no success. The bus driver made them pay again. If it's all too confusing the bus to Puerto Cabezas leaves from Managua's Mayoreo terminal. Hope that helps.

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: The bus to Puerto Cabezas

Many, many thanks for the additional information. At 66 I am not as spry as I used to be and do suffer from arthritis (which glucosamine seems to control fine), but it looks like just another ride on the chicken bus; just longer! I have been twice by bus from Atlanta to Vancouver (three days), so twenty-four hours (more or less) doesn't seem too bad! Thanks again!
    Btw, I did find the following link, but you information gives me another option!
    http://www.thebusschedule.com/ni/index.php
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos