Thread: Scorpion Stings...

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Scorpion Stings...

Thought maybe we could get a thread going about scorpion stings. I am dealing with one right now, so it's forefront on my mind.

After working hard all day then showering, I took a shirt from the closet and turned it inside out (just to check) before putting it on. I wore this shirt for half an hour, no problema. Upon taking a bathroom break, I apparently p*ssed the scorpion on my shoulder off as I undid my pants. He didn't like the movement and let me know in no uncertain terms.

D*MN, that hurt! I pulled my shirt aside, saw the little bugger, flicked him into the wall, and promptly stepped on his *ss! In almost 6 years of life in Nicaragua, bugs and I have changed our relationship. I am heartless and ruthless!

For me, a scorpion sting is a short, intense pain that dulls to almost nothing in a few seconds. The other effects are a bit more interesting. My tongue is going through that crazy numbness, like you'd get from your foot or leg falling asleep. I can feel the poison running through my body (my fingers are tingling right now), but am not worried. Since I was young, I've dealt with spider bites, yellow jacket and wasps stings with very little discomfort. Maybe it was fate to come to this crazy, bug-ridden part of the world...quizás?

Share your experiences!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Default Re: Scorpion Stings...

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Thought maybe we could get a thread going about scorpion stings. I am dealing with one right now, so it's forefront on my mind.

After working hard all day then showering, I took a shirt from the closet and turned it inside out (just to check) before putting it on. I wore this shirt for half an hour, no problema. Upon taking a bathroom break, I apparently p*ssed the scorpion on my shoulder off as I undid my pants. He didn't like the movement and let me know in no uncertain terms.

D*MN, that hurt! I pulled my shirt aside, saw the little bugger, flicked him into the wall, and promptly stepped on his *ss! In almost 6 years of life in Nicaragua, bugs and I have changed our relationship. I am heartless and ruthless!

For me, a scorpion sting is a short, intense pain that dulls to almost nothing in a few seconds. The other effects are a bit more interesting. My tongue is going through that crazy numbness, like you'd get from your foot or leg falling asleep. I can feel the poison running through my body (my fingers are tingling right now), but am not worried. Since I was young, I've dealt with spider bites, yellow jacket and wasps stings with very little discomfort. Maybe it was fate to come to this crazy, bug-ridden part of the world...quizás?

Share your experiences!
    When young on the ranch in a clap board house, it was common to step on the scorpions who sought the warmth of the house in the fall and winter.

Like stepping on a lighten match...immediate and hopefully complete. I know the sting.

Hope you are okay for those black mambas do have a deadly poison.

My first three month in Nic I slept outside in a hammock under a thatch roof. Well one of those scorps fell out of the roof and landed on my arm and stung me on my elbow. I never gave it much thought and went back to sleep. That day I started getting hot flashes and then cold flashes. By the time I went to bed that night my arm swelled to the size of my leg and you couldnt touch it with a feather with out causing extreme pain. Next morn I went to local clinic and told them what happen they gave me some pills ( I thought they were some type antibiotic dont remember been long time past) and some anti-inflametory .That took care of most of it, the spot were it stung me was sore for weeks after. That is something I do not care to repeat.

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

HOT STRONG BLACK COFFEE.... (antihistamine)
    I rent rooms in my house by the day, week, month.

Bobby, tell us your story. Surely you got stung while that back room roof was being redone?!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I been stung so much I can't count, but thank the Lord I was not allergic to it, hurt like a bitch, but I soon got over it....Nothing debilitating.... I'm Black Irish....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

I have been fortunate enoguh not to have been stung yet, plenty of close calls in the past though. I always wondered what the pain was like by the size of the Scorpion, We get plenty of the real tiny ones, with a sparatic big one in the house.

When Roger and I redid the clay tile roof on the outdoor kitchen on the finca, he got stung by a scorpion about 6 inches long. It was so bad, he had to stop working. His knees got week so staying on the roof was definitely not a good idea!
    The one that got me last night was only about half that size, so maybe that's about half the poison. I'm sure someone somewhere has done a study and posted it on the net.

Blog Entries

Is there any such thing as a scorpion trap?

Never mind ...silly me...

http://www.epestsupply.com/scorpions.htm
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Is there any such thing as a scorpion trap?

Never mind ...silly me...

http://www.epestsupply.com/scorpions.htm
    Sense I have had about 15 or 20 chickens running around the house, I have seen hide nor hair of bugs......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Sense I have had about 15 or 20 chickens running around the house, I have seen hide nor hair of bugs......
    My neighbor has the chickens and roosters running through the house, along with his babies crawing on the floor, doesn´t seem so sanitary, especially because I don´t think they own a mop or a broom.

Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    My neighbor has the chickens and roosters running through the house, along with his babies crawing on the floor, doesn´t seem so sanitary, especially because I don´t think they own a mop or a broom.
    Unsanitary for the babies or the chickens?
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    Unsanitary for the babies or the chickens?
    I can just see it now. A bunch of chickens with little paper masks over their beaks, all in a panic over sapien flu.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

You guy's crack me up which is one reason I come here to be verbally abused.....

I ate a chicken turd as a child, big family joke on me and I am still here......

Animals were NEVER allowed in the home, that I do today cept that Owl pet my wife has....

That is the only exception I have ever mad in my life.....

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    In almost 6 years of life in Nicaragua, bugs and I have changed our relationship. I am heartless and ruthless!
    Kill em All I say!
    Dios es Amor!

Blog Entries

BAYGONE....