Thread: The Tarzan Swing,,,,

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The Tarzan Swing,,,,

The "Tarzan" Swing...

Disclaimer.....

If any of you receive these "Stories" of mine unsolicited or they happen to offend, let me know and I will take your name off my mailing list, if others forward these to you, you have to notify them, I have NO control of where my writings go at this point, nor do I really care, I am easy to find and if some cornhole in the world wishes to send a death squad after me for expressing a God given right to freedom of speech...... Bring it on...., but do not leave me alive and pick on any of my kin, and I find out about it......

"Old Joe" and the "He Coon"

My next to youngest brother, "Old Joe", Joe-Joe, or Joey, as friends and family knew him.

As the "He Coon", Wayne NMN* Gooding jr. called him "Old Joe", from the day he was born, (our father always refered to himself as the "He Coon" and he always walked before daylight)

*NMN (No Middle Name) and was "Black Irish"

We shared many a coffee and conversations in the mornings way before day and cold Budwisers as young men, in the ladder part of the day with the "He Coon", out to sea on his 70 foot Commerical fishin' boat (named "Little Joe").....That means after 10 AM for the cold ones......

The "He Coon" even sang the song in our younger days, "Jimbo cracked corn, and Johnny don't care, and "Old Joe" gets his way".....

That is how I will refer to my next to youngest brother in this story...... "Old Joe" Joseph Allen Gooding.....

This is a difficult one to write as both of them, the "He Coon, and Old Joe" are gone now, they both went early in life, but I will try my best, even though I cannot see the keyboard right now thinkin' bout them.

Out of all of Momas brood of 6 children "Old Joe" was the calm and laid back one of us, the rest a bit on the "Roudy" side.

Me and Jimbo, Buddy, and Diane, still around to be a Thorn in somebody's side, Cindy Robin disappeard at 15 and God only knows where she is.....

Daddy crossed the bar when I was 28, and Old Joe crossed it when I was 50......

And when I cross it.....

Throw me in a pine box, bury it on boot hill in an unmarked grave, or wrap me up in a piece of sail cloth with a cannonball lashed to my feet for the fish to finish with this earthly body.....But I do not want to be creameated.......

And let me be right straight here, the way I write here is the same way I talk, I inherited it and am not ashamed, though lately I am toneing down my use of "Sunday School" words....

The "He Coon" taught us amongst other things, we boy's to swim, hang fish nets, tie square and sheet bend knots, shuck oysters and clams, pick crab meat, and make Tarzan ropes out of the old hay balin' twine, took us fishin' and huntin' and campin' and was more than a father, he was one of our older "Buddies".....

But I know if he had been in the "Boy Scouts" he would have been an "Eagle", but he was a man of the sea, and not at home much.....

Chief Pumpman on oil tankers, till he turned Commerical Fisherman..... and had that special multi colored baseball cap to prove it, it didn't have scrambled eggs on it, but was special never the less for the trade.

Highest paid non licensed man on the boat.....

He even invented voice mail.....

Two tin cans with a 50 foot piece of moma's "Coats and Clark" "Mercinized" whatever that means, sewin' thread between 'em with holes in the center of the bottom attached to sticks and we could talk back and forth.

Al Gore, eat your heart out.....

And belive it or not, those old wooden thread spools was used for "Door Knobs" inside those 'ole wooden clapboard houses, a nail thru the center and it was done.....

The "He Coon" was a member of the "National Mariners Union".

NMU, the "He Coon" came home one day wareing a hat with those letters on it and when I asked him what it stood for, he called it, Nigroes, Mexicans and Undesireables, including himself in that group.

In them days, he packed a .32 auto pistol in his sea bag he bought in Italy, taught we boy's to shoot it too, I wonder how these modern day "Boy" pirates would react with him on the lookin' end and them on the business end of that pea shooter in an illegal boarding at sea.....

Toted a .45 Automatic Colt Pistol as a U S Army Tank Sgt. in Europe, and a long barreled shotgun, squrrell huntin' in the swamps of Jones County NC where he was born and raised..... POP 10K today.....

And I know he would have squeezed one or two off.....Idiot International Laws..... I want the hell out of the UN.....

Me, Jimbo, and "Old Joe", got a big kick out of goin' thru his "Sea Bag" on his return, he had in it gifts for everyone from all over the world.

I am going to get back on the "Tarzan Swing" with " Old Joe" in a minute, but right now I am talkin' about the "He Coon" ....

If my stories bore you, go on, ain't nobody got your hands tied.......

The "He Coon" was a "Reagan Democrat" which meant he voted for the "Man" and not the party, a Jesse Helms (R), and Walter B. Jones (D) supporter....

I honestly think he would spit on Pelosi, Obama, and that new dollar coin.....All three of them, a "Thorn in my side".......

Hell, George Washington would spit on 'em thru his wooden teeth.....And join the "Tea Parties" and be what? no, don't tell me, not another "Subversive".....

Abraham Lincoln would have them thrown in a Yankee prison till they took the same "Oath of Allegence" the rest of us did.....

Sittin' up to the "He Coons" eatin' table.....

The "Sugar Beets" and "Sour Krout" that the "He Coon" put on the eatin' table, and made us all partake there of, oooh I did not like either, the sour krout was nasty, he ruined a perfectly good pork roast with his home made "Krout".

It won't nothing in them day's but shreded cabbage pickled in a "Brine of salt water" and left long enough in that clay urn with a piece of cheese cloth over the top of it to keep the bugs out if it, to rot, the brine you could "Float a hen's egg" in it, I know, I helped load it......

The suger beets had the flavor of sweet dirt, but without the gritty texture, (You ever try to eat a mud pie as a kid?) and made me deficate red, and in the toilet. I thought I was dieyn'.........

I don't mean to be gross, but lookin' back, in more ways than one, I thought I had lost my lites, liver and guts in that porcelin bowl....

We on the Loop road had indoor plumbin' built by the "He Coon" with his own hands, although he only had a 3rd grade education, went to the public library and got the information on how to do it, and did it...

Didn't have to use no "Outhouse" or keep a "Collard Pot" inside the house under the beds.... Am I talkin' above your head here?

He could read and comprehend, and do arithmatic but he could not write worth a dam, but tell a hell of a Sea Story....

I remember goin' somewhere with him and when doin' somekind of a paperwork, when the gentleman behind the desk asked him of his education, the He Coon responded, "Complete".....That was enough in 'em days....

And ain't it funny how things turn out, now, I love sourkrout on an all beef hotdog, or pork roast, and pieces of beets in a veggie salad......

Now "Old Joe" did not like Blackeyed peas, in no shape, form or fashion, even with smoked hog jowels which was a New Years tradition....Ring a bell here friends?, it you haven't tasted real smoked pork, be it ham or hamhocks or whatever, you ain't never eaten "Real Food"......

Old Joe Blew Grits in his plate, (vomited) when the "He Coon" insisted on he eatin' 'em at the eatin' table.

Old Joe said that the "Blackeyed Peas" was lookin' at him, and for that, would not, could not, eat them and keep 'em down.

The He Coon when home would fix up that 'ole porclin speckled roastin' pan with snappin' turtle, ducks, geese, squreells, deer meat, or a Striped sea bass with arsh taters and care roots, ('em ole long tapered orange things) onions and garlick, and make a feed that poor folks never had.....

That was his sayin, Boy's, poor folks ain't eatin' this good, he grew up with no Lektricity in the house, and had to split "Stove wood" for the kitchen, hunted the whole winter with one box of 25, 12 gague shotgun shells, and a box or two of 50 .22 Long rifle bullets.

And when he pulled the trigger, meat went in the kitchen.....Seven ducks out his grandfathers Remmington side by side 12 gague scatter gun with one shot out the "Full Ckoke" side of it one time on the Trent River....

Best I ever did was two squrells with one shot, I snuck up on 'em and waited till they was close together and aimed the shotgun at 'em, closed my eyes and fired, knowing the shotgun gone knock the hell out of me, one died of a heart attack, and the other one laughed hiself to death, but I got both in the cook pot......

The "He Coon's" grandfather John Lewis Gooding, who was a tennent farmer, bought the gun new for $5.50 in the Trenton (Pronounced Trennon) hardware store, and the propriotor couldn't make change of a $20.00 dollar "Greenback" at the time.

Momma did a pot roast or fried chicken on Sundays with a pan of biscuts and gravy, this was way before "Bisquick" or 'em cans of biscuts that you whop on the counter top.......

Aint Mary, after I tell about Jimbos duck on the next post, I am goin' to talk about you and the "Pressure Cooker"......

OK Aint Mary if you insist, Jimbos Duck can wait, so I will go ahead with the pressure cooker now while I am at it, before gettin' back to Old Joe and the "Tarzan" swing.....

The He Coon bein' a very romantic individual, bought for my mother on his birthday one of them new fangled "Pressure Cookers"

I mean really, you could put old beef bones in it we used for crabbin' and in half an hour could eat the bones, soften 'em right up in no time....

To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Tarzan Swing,,,,

My first wife Janet, got me to get one for her, and gettin' to know it, cooked some pork ribs a tat to long in it, bless her yankee heart...

As I was eating them, I noticed they had a bit of a different flavor, 'em bones was just as soft as the meat.....

Now the He Coon was also a "Deer Hunter" and some of them old White tailed Stags he drug home from deep in the Swamps, was tough as whit leather, you couldn't even stick a fork in the gravy of some of 'em, better to eat the hide and throw the rest of the deer away....

Which was why he bought the pressure cooker....

The Pressure Cooker was invented by a man, for use by a man, some women at first during the rapid industrialazation of the United States, that came about in the previous century, like Diesel tractors replacing "Mules" for cultivation, just didn't know how to deal with it till they learned a bit about it......

Arsh Taters didn't take 5 minutes in it.....

One day, Aint Mary loaded that thing up with a "James River Stew" , taters and onions, and corned beef...... Real corned beef in them day's instead of that "Dog Food" that comes out of the can now a days with the "smell" of Corned Beef, "Artifical Flavor".......

After the alotted time, she took it over to the the kitchen sink, that thing still a hissin' and the weight on the top of the middle of it just a dancin', she waited till the weight quit dancin' and opened it.......

Actually she didn't open it, it blew up when she got so far with twistin' the lock top of it off by the handles.....

James River Stew all over the curtians, window and ceiling of that kitchen.....

After I found out she was alright....I laughed, so did everyone else, her included.....

I guess the Lord was a watchin' over Aint Mary that day and had his hand 'tween that pressure pot and her so she didn't get all burned up and scared for life with that Super heated food.....

And in my travels I found out that very same thing happened to others, so Aint Mary, don't feel alone, one distant cousin told her husband.....Take that "Thing" back, and get yo money back, I don't want to ever see that "Thing" in my house again, after one busted open with her, thinkin she could check it like your regular everyday cook pot on the stove....

I have one, and NOBODY touches it but me.....It makes this Central American beef and Deer meat where I can eat it, works good on an old tough Squrrell too.......

Baptists and Methodists and Prodanstants, Hell Fire and brimstone, and prim and proper English.....

Why this came to mind I have no Idea but here it is anyway...

I am fixin' to splain the difference between the three for those of you not cultured enough to know......

Now they all three from the South far as I know, the Methodists and Prodastants a bit higher up on the social ladder than us Baptists......

To give and example.....the Methodist and Prodantanstsns would say in Ould English......

By Jove, (Sniff Sniff) Who stepped in the doggie pooh? Oh please everyone, check your shoes and the guilty one slip on out the back and take care of the problem, and nobody watches.

Now the Baptists teach and preach that the Good Book talks more about Hell than Heaven, so the word Hell ain't a nasty word, it is a threat....

Who steped in dog $hit?

(It has a rather unique odor you know.... Cows, Mules and horses, are not offinsive, but dogs and hogs.... and cats, the worst of them all, the cats know it's bad and dig a hole and bury it......)

Johnny, was that you,? (sniff sniff, everybody lookin' and snickerin') you get outside right this minute, and clean off your shoes, and then come back in here and clean up the floor where you tracked it or you goin' to burn forever in the lake of fire.....

Now goin' to sea with the "He Coon" when he turned Commerical Fisherman, we read a lot on the boat and had discuscions, I read the Bible, the John D McDonald's Travis Mcgee series, Taylor Caldwells, Of Captians and Kings, Rudyard Kipling, Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, and even Mien Komph, and the Nazi Primer aimed at the children of Germany to mould their minds.

Even though none of us could spel very well, the "He Coon" wanted we boy's to be rather well read and informed about history for us not to fall into a trap.......

Jimbo wrote a fictional book, "Colonizing Orion" Old Joe edited it, and wrote and played music, and me, I write my "Rednek" stories......

Hitler and his Brown Shirts and SS took over a country of only 52 million people who were relivitaly smart industrious people, with only a few thousand followers.

Yes, he was voted in with a promise of "Change", because of fluctuateing economic conditions that have plagued man and his different forms of government since time began, and Boy, did they "Change things", for the whole World in them days.....

Multi Millions of people suffered and died...... This is doccumented.....

Hitler was a very chrasimatic speaker in the German Languague, although a smart man, he was not the hollerin Nut to start, portraid in the news reels, later on he turned crazy, and the "War Machine" he and his cronies had built over time fought till the end, when suicide was the only way out, or the end of a public hangmans noose.

Hollywood, why can't you tell the truth, Hell, the truth is bad enough, it will stand when the world is on fire.

He and his government thugs took over every aspect of human life, trade unions, medicine, industry, schools, churches, disarmed the public, and filled the graveyards with those who did not conform thru murder and intimidation.

Look around you real good friends, Sound Familar?

There are several things in life that are certain.......Change, and Change again are two of them.

And Ole Sarge and John Wayne, and others, not bowin' down to any man, or rediculas Government........ Sig Hiel Obama, will never be uttered by these last in seriousness, only pokin' fun at those stupid enough to go along with his programs that history shows does not work.....

I and many others have seen lately the Department of Justice being used to "Intimadate" opponates of his agenda......

Right now Obama, is "The One" with the fuzzy nuts, (Southern English Slang) so I point the "Finger" at him, for being responsable for this "Change" in direction that I do not agree with......(interprate this any way you like)

So anyway, gittin' back on topic, I know I go off in outter space sometimes.

The three of us, me, Jimbo and Old Joe, and several buddies built us a "Tarzan" swing back in the woods in a great big 'ole oak tree a mile or so from the house in the swamp.

All we boy's, wanted our privicy and a special place the "Girls" wouldn't bother us, where sometimes we did smoke cigarettes and talk about the Girls, and sometimes our topics wasn't so nice.....

I learned there that a woman with a "Big" belly and going to have a baby, did not just swallow a "Watermelon" seed...as was the childish rumor.

And the "Stork" was only a drunkin' fictucias mailman, that sometimes delivered babies, a few straight haired, a few kinky haired, dark skined or light skined to the wrong house.....

And everyone blamed it on a "Nigro in the Wood Pile"

Ahhh Ha.... And if you wanted "Twins".....You had to "do it" twice, right in a row.....

Three strands of hay balin' twine braded like a girls hair, knots all along where we joined the short pieces of hay twine together with "Square Knots" to make a 50 foot piece, then three of them braded together, and three of them braded together so the He Coon taught us, that rope having about 40 feet when finished would pull a frieght Train, big around as our arms.....

Now that Tarzan swing had to be stratigicly located in a big fine tree for it to work right like Johnny Wiesmeller did in em black and white movies.

Are you with me here? I know some of you are....Others that ain't, ain't never lived.....

A chicken ladder of 1x4's with 16 penny nails got installed going up the side of that great old oak tree for ease of access to that first big limb.

Sapling's and reeds around got cleared to not get in the way, and knobed off at ground level.

The Computers in our minds it those days chose a place on one of the lower limbs to lash the "Tarzan" rope around it about 35 to 30 feet off the ground, a clove hitch and then a tripple half hitch with the bitter end around the the rope itself to the limb to assure it didn't come loose.

A figure 8 knot on the end of it near the ground to catch between your legs, or feet on, to pass the ground in a 2 foot safety margin.

Far enough from the trunk of the tree on a thrilling jump of about a 60 to 70 feet forth and back pendulam swing, to not come back on the return and hit the trunk of the tree with your body and knock the wind out of you.

Now that is a bad one, gettin' the wind knocked out of you, I belive I would rather have a tooth pulled with no anistieasia....

There wasn't a lot of control once you jumped out of the tree with it, but you did need to hang on to the rope.......

And when you jumped, you had to give it a "Tarzan" yell.... AAAAAAH AAAAH .......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Aww, who am I kidding? You're not gonna tell us what happened next, are you?

Great post anyway!
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

One morning quite early, at the crack of dawn, as was always the case, 8.30, 9.00 in the night was bed time in those days, hardly dark in the summer.

Cornflakes and real milk to get the day started with, and a bit of grandulated sugar for energy, in a Jethro Boden size eatin' bowl.....

We all got together, Boy's what we gone do today?

Robbie said Hey, lets go to Cow's Lake and go swimmin', Elick seconded the motion.

Now Cows Lake wasn't nothin' but a waterin' hole, a pond a farmer dug back in the swamp for his live stock, maybe 50 yards across, surounded by trees, honeysuckle vines and the sweetest swamp smells you ever had in life, some, might call them putrid, but they from the cities, and don't know about many natural things........

It was three or four miles from home...

I cannot remember seein' a "Posted No Tresspassin' sign in my youth....... Because they won't there..... Fences were for animals, not for people.....

A steel pipe bridge over the access road that the cows were afraid of and wouldn't cross, and down a double lane hog path for about 1/4 mile and we were there.

But the prettiest blue green fresh water in Cows Lake, you ever seen, you could see the bottom all over it when it wasn't stured up.

Course in them days just about everything fun, was against our mothers wishes, if they even knew half the stuff we did, we boy's would have had to camp out in the woodshed and wait in line.

Now for those of you that don't know what is a trip to the "Woodshed", and I know there are people today that don't know what a trip to the woodshed is because their parents didn't love them enough to do it.

Now I ain't talkin' about abuse here, I am talkin' about "This is going to hurt me, more than this belt or peach tree limb is going to hurt you", and it was only for serious things......

Lieing, was a serious thing, anybody that will lie will steal....... That holds true today friends....Just look at some of the products of Washington....

If we went to Cows Lake and spent the morning or most of the day in that fresh water and got "Dish Pan" hands, you know, when your finger tips get all wrinkly from to much fresh water exposure..... BTW Salt water doesn't do that...

Missin' lunch time wasn't a No, No, in them days because we often had, at one of our buddies homes, or them at ours, or cooked out in the woods, but bein' late for supper, or comin' home after dark, you better have a "Certifyed Reason".....

On the way back home from Cows Lake, we had to roll in the dirt in one of the fields, and go home dirty so Aint Mary or Moma wouldn't have reason to ask if we had been swimmin', it was a "White Lie" or "Sin of omission" on our part, but it worked....

Tater rows on your neck with dirt was OK, but to come home sparkling clean was a problem....

Even though the He Coon had taught us boy's to swim, the womenfolk worried about us playin' in the water unsupervised....

Women are that way.....

Old Joe says, hey boy's, I sniched a pack of "Marlboro" Cigarettes from the He Coon, lets go to the Tarzan Swing and smoke some of them......

A whole pack? of filtered cigarettes not just one or two to share?......Cow's Lake got put on hold....

Robbies father, Robert Whaley smoked Lucky Strike, LSMFT, Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco....

They were not popular with us, but the filtered Marlboro's?...BTW, LSMFT to us meant, Loose Strap Means Flopin Titties...

Now the Tarzan Swing had been in use for several months or more, it was low maintenence, none of the "Girls" had been back there to bother us, but had a well worn path to it by that time.

Make a visual check of the knot on the tree limb, take up the slack on the knot that you caught between your legs or your feet on due to the streching and settling in of the hay bailing fibres, and here we go again.......

Now my next to youngest brother, Old Joe, was an experianced Tarzan Swinger like the rest of us, could do a backward flip out of the tree, stand on the knot, catch it in mid air tween his leggs and even an upside downer.... With no safety nets....

We won't nothing but a bunch of monkey's in them days...Just walked a bit more erect, and the Dr.'s had pinched off all of us's tails when we were born so it wouldn't show...

The back one, not the front side.....

Cindy, am I makin' you nervious now? I know you got two young boys.....

After two or three swipes on a swing it was time to come in for a runnin' Tarzan landin' like you was going to kick the ass of a Lion or a chargeing rhino, and let the next one have a go at it...

That first jump out of the tree was the thriller, 25 feet off the ground, after that you wanted to do it again, the winding down swipes were nothing....

Well one time Old Joe made a bad landin' on his right foot, fell all down and squalled....Its broken, I've broken my foot...

We all checked him out, no bones stickin' out the skin, and all of us being Medical Doctors at the time agreed, it was only a sprained ankle, it was unanimous, a sprained ankle.......

All of us took a cigarette break to get Old Joe calmed down a bit from his bad landin'.....

Cut him a saplin' for a crutch, told him to go on home, take 2 BAYER asprins and go to bed, and drink plenty of fluids.....

What the hell, that was what most of the Doctors in them days prescribed anyway on the black and white TV with rabbit ear antennes...

As Old Joe was hobblin' away up the path, we hollered out, Hey, you gone make it?

Yea, it hurts like hell, but I gone make it..... Old Joe won't no pus*y.... But more of a Diplomat in his nature....

So Old Joe hobbled on home, and the rest of us swung out of the tree and enjoyed the Marlboro cigerettes he had pilfered from the He Coon.......

Now we wern't worried about Old Joe, he had the same training as us, a rattle snake along the path will make a noise if getting his "Hackles up", Coil up and start shakin' that tail....But 'em Copperheads, they silent basturds....

If they know you comin' they will get out of the way, all animals have a fear of man, be it from the bible, or they learned that the erect Neandrothaul would cook and eat their a**.......

Exception to the rule....Crazy Animals... And "Dog Days"

Got to get into this right now, "Dog Days" That is when in the phase of the Moon and is the warmer months, Snakes is a shedin' their old skins growin' and go blind....

Will strike at anything in this mode of growth .... The He Coon taught us to take a limb and strike the ground ahead of us before we walked that ground.

They will make you sick with a strike, the weak children, and Old folks, it can kill.....

Yes I have eaten Snake.....Fishy tasting Chicken meat is all it is, and a bit thin like a Squreell's belly meat...

So Jimbo and I went on back home to a empty house.....

Moma had taken Old Joe to the hospital, he got X Rayed found his foot, ankle, or something or other was broke, and came home with a cast, and a badge of honor.....We all signed it....and felt a little bad really for a mis diagnosis....

BTW none of us turned out to be REAL Doctors.....

Keep em' stories comming....Great stuff JW...Reminds me of when I was a kid, great times...

Blog Entries

Well good morning to us all.

Remember the days when moms would let the kids run off and play all day unsupervised. The only rule was be back by dinner.

Then they started putting pictures on the milk cartons to stare at us while we ate our cornflakes.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    Well good morning to us all.

Remember the days when moms would let the kids run off and play all day unsupervised. The only rule was be back by dinner.

Then they started putting pictures on the milk cartons to stare at us while we ate our cornflakes.
    Yes El D I saw my next to youngest sister's picture on a Marvamaid milk carton, she had only 15 years, I think it all started when Criminals had more rights than their victims....., 34 years ago, my mother still cries at Christmas over that and I will never forget it long as I draw breath......

Look at that mother in Jaxonville, at least she knows where is her daughter......

Tell me that after a jury trial of twelve, I wouldn't throw the lever to the floor trap door under a Public Hangmans noose?.....

Oh and right, all sex offenders in the area were questioned and did not do it......

Sex offenders my A$$......