Thread: Breakfast anyone?

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Breakfast anyone?

I've got new ducklings and two hens setting, so our supply of duck eggs has been limited. Any we do have tend to sell off quickly at the SJDS Sat market. So I was pretty happy this morning to see that one of my hens has begun laying again.

Duck eggs scrambled with sour cream and a dash of black pepper was the first step. I dipped some local cheese into this mix then breaded with yellow corn meal and fried them up before cooking the egg mixture with loads of onions and topping with chives (thanks GR!). Needed something sweet and spicy to round the meal out and pineapple was just the thing.

Every trip to Managua means driving through Pineapple Valley for some Piña Dorado (golden pineapple). I sauteed chunks in butter, cinnamon and a dash of chili powder. Now I'm ready to start the day!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Default Re: Breakfast anyone?

Thanks... now my keyboard is all salivated up!!!! Looks great!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Huevos de Pato Rancheros! That's a good one.......
    Dios es Amor!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

eeeuuu weeee, it sounds sooo good...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

If you ever get a chance snap a picture of a chicken egg yolk next to a duck egg yolk, I want to see the difference.

Blog Entries

Do they taste different?

Duck eggs are richer in taste than chicken eggs. They give your scrambled eggs, and any other dish you choose to add them to, a deeper flavor, richer in body.

In the pic below, the chicken egg is on the left. Notice how the egg white is spread out, thin and liquidy. With the duck egg on the right, the egg white is more viscous and a duck yolk holds it's shape better than a chicken egg.

The chicken egg yolk is slightly smaller than the duck egg and a duller yellow in color. I have found that duck eggs give a bright yellow color to foods like omelets and hollandaise sauce.

When I go back to chicken eggs from eating duck eggs, I'm always a bit disappointed in the flavor. The food seems to be missing a bit of umph.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Are ducks on the yard easier to manage than these blasted Chickens we have?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

JW, we have Catahoulas, hunting dogs to the umpteenth power! Our ducks are housed in a clapboard pen with an open air extension of chicken wire that's reinforced with heavy log posts and woven wire. I've lost one grown hen and one chick to my female dogs already. Take the Catahoula outa' the equation, and these are an easy manage animal for the homestead.

How does the chicken raising enterprise work out financially? Do you end up saving a little, after taking into account the cost of feed and revenue from egg sales? Or is it a money loosing proposition?

Do you raise your birds from birth? Do they follow you around in the coop/casa de pollo ?

Blog Entries

Are ducks like geese in that they eat grass? I had a couple geese back in the day and all they did was eat grass and crap all day.

The meat was even better than beef which, incidentally, is also made of grass.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

thanks for the picture, very good example, now for the ostrich egg!

Blog Entries

OK in all honesty, come on Mil.... I think you were not comparing Apples, With Apples, wasnt that a Commercial chicken egg you were comparing with the home grown Duck Egg?.....

I love 'em both Home grown Chicken and Duck eggs, but I am going to tell you, you can buy in the various markets Huevoes de Amore, Free range chicken eggs, cheaper than you can produce them, from a professional farmer....

Now the Duck Eggs she Is breaking new ground for, I have not seen them available at all..... In all honesty I prefer free range to the mas production of the eggs

Thats a good point, I am not that happy with the quality of eggs the pulperias have been carrying. The chicken my mother in law had, had some fairly dark yolked eggs, and the shell was a lot harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    OK in all honesty, come on Mil.... I think you were not comparing Apples, With Apples, wasnt that a Commercial chicken egg you were comparing with the home grown Duck Egg?.....

I love 'em both Home grown Chicken and Duck eggs, but I am going to tell you, you can buy in the various markets Huevoes de Amore, Free range chicken eggs, cheaper than you can produce them, from a professional farmer....

Now the Duck Eggs she Is breaking new ground for, I have not seen them available at all..... In all honesty I prefer free range to the mas production of the eggs