Thread: Rainy Season Shows Up Finally

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Rainy Season Shows Up Finally

Since the 19th of this month, we've had rain every day, a total of almost 11 inches, and it's raining heavily now after barely letting up all night. This year's rainy season was an incredibly dry one, one that my okra and tomatoes were simply loving. Now that's going to h*ll in a handbasket in just a few short weeks.

The cherry tomatoes are fruiting incredibly fast, but they're almost tasteless and the okra doesn't want to produce at all. On a positive note, this is definitely duck weather! We had two losses this past week, babies both of them. One little fella got out of the duck pen, then panicked and ran straight into the dog pen and the waiting jaws of Adeline. I watched another duckling get trampled by his daddy as he chased around a hen looking for some booty. These things really are bird brains!

A Nica friend of ours joined us yesterday in yet another duck shopping adventure. We visited her uncle who has poultry but he had no ducks that day. Next we stopped at her aunt's house. Auntie was just getting off the microbus as we pulled up at her house, but she too had no ducks to sell. Roger decided to go back to his tried and true method of just driving around and asking folks. This method takes longer, but it always eventually pans out.

We had good luck in Guisquiliapa (wees-key-lee-ah-pah) when we asked an older fella waiting at the bus stop for ducks. He said 'you want shoes?'. 'no, no, ducks', our translator tried again. He pointed down the street, so we drove on. Next, we asked a lady who was sweeping off her front step. She said 'I have ducks.' As we negotiated the price, I noticed her son seemed a bit under the weather. The lady told our translator how happy she was to be able to sell her ducks because her son needed some medicine for his breathing problems and they had no way to pay for any.

I asked her if she knew what guarumo was. She nodded and pointed to a tree in the corner of her yard. Aha! I took a leaf off, gave it to her and told her how to prepare it. A small portion of the leaf in a cup of hot water let to steep, then sweetened will do the trick. The lady was very happy then! She got us a bowl of water to wash our hands with before we left and invited us to come back anytime, that her house was our house.

All the crazy sh*t aside, this really is a great place to call home!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Default Re: Rainy Season Shows Up Finally

Try making a Flan with Duck Eggs....
    Dios es Amor!

Ooh, duck eggs are too precious for a dish like flan...never liked dessert much anywho. Actually, my next egg adventures, once these new hens get settled and start laying, will be dishes from the Asian world. There's a Vietnamese dish that's made for the Tet celebration that employs caramelized pork, fresh coconut water and whole cooked duck eggs. I'm just itching to get playing with those ingredients!!

I Love the flavors of Asia also,I'm pretty sure you're familar with Lemon Grass
    Dios es Amor!

This bunch is a focal point in the front yard. I trim the tops for teas and cut lower for sinus problems (to unstop my breathing apparatus ). I've not used any of this bunch for culinary dishes, but hey, you're never too young to try new things!
    The left side looks a bit weak 'cause I just took a chunk to GR in SJDS, as we're getting into traded stuff out from "finca to finca".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Ooh, duck eggs are too precious for a dish like flan...
    How dare you! La Baby Doc and I have been on a lifelong quest for the best flan in Latin America. We've had some good ones but I still do it better in my own kitchen. Egg yolks, cream, vanilla and dark sugar. Elegant in its simplicity and perfect after gorging on a side of beef and a couple bottles of wine.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mil... ya know my son Johnny once in a while has Asthma attacks, when he drinks the Sicate Limon, (Lemon Grass tea) it goes away.....I $hit you not....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Our Everlasting Love ! doming00's Avatar

not much rain this year, maybe sign that the end is coming?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I prefer a drier season anyway. Guess it's a control thing, but I'd rather know and control exactly how much water my gardens receive. 'Course at this rate, I may need to buy more hoses and sprinklers...the raised beds seem to be multiplying!