Thread: Forget about Kathy's Waffle House...

Default Forget about Kathy's Waffle House...

http://nicaragua-stuff.blogspot.com/...g-post_27.html

I was interested in eating here at GHOP (Camino del Oriente, Managua) cause it looked so much like my favorite International House of Pancakes (IHOP) there in the good ol' USA. Judging from the menu and the place mats, George's House of Pancakes must have a former IHOP employee as entrepreneur. It is a copy down to the dots on the 'i's and the crosses on the 't's. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the food. It seemed as if they were still working out the bugs. Coffee had a decent flavor but also had some grease on top of it. Pancakes were a little too laden with sodium bicarbonate. The sausage links were good but the hash-browns were grocery store quality and the eggs were...well a little too poached. It is a good idea but falls short, unfortunately. I give this restaurant 6 months or less in the cruel food world of Managua.

Default Re: Forget about Kathy's Waffle House...

Had the chance to drop in on Kathy's Waffle House in Granada for a bit of breakfast.

A wonderful breakfast with papas, bacon, eggs to my delight and the best bread (toasted) that I have found in Nicaland.

Company was quiet good also; Howard and Sandy.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Two flat fried eggs, not even big as my wifes tits and just about as high off the ground

A greasy piece of taters and two babys peters fried in Soy oil to avoid the natural colesterol that the human body needs, craves for and enjoys, with a bit of outdoor activity that does NOT include laying on your fat ass watching a Telenovela..... Soapbox operas in my youth......

Do I need to go on from here?......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Two flat fried eggs, not even big as my wifes tits and just about as high off the ground

A greasy piece of taters and two babys peters fried in Soy oil to avoid the natural colesterol that the human body needs, craves for and enjoys, with a bit of outdoor activity that does NOT include laying on your fat ass watching a Telenovela..... Soapbox operas in my youth......

Do I need to go on from here?......
    JW, stop being so darn diplomatic, tell us what you really think.

I actually agree about the GHOP, as with all things copied, it is just not right. My experience was bad coffee (mortal sin in Nicaragua), high prices and blah food. The good part was the service which was very attentive.
    You'll excuse me, gentlemen. Your business is politics, mine is running a saloon.
    Casablanca-1942

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Who ownes that blog?? I saw the rickity old barge we took on the back road from Tipitapa to Granada..

El Paso Barge

Video

We stopped for a few beers in Malacatoya and a fill up. There the gas is measured and dispensed by cans and funnels..

The Tonya was at -5C in the bar though. After a few hours in the pick up truck box it was good.. Owners of the bar were cleaning up from a rather "interesting" evening before in which a good ol' bar brawl broke out..

I was most disappointed that I did not take my camera this day as I was told that it would be a 20 min ride.. 6 hours later.. we were coasting to Granada along the lake... Some amazing expanses of rice fields and the ride along the shore to Granada was well worth it..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

All I saw of the Google blogger was signed 'El Chele' -- could that be Chele John who occasionally posts on NL? He lives/works in Managua since '96; Nica wife's family in Granada.

Breakfast or lunch at Kathy's is a sacred ritual for us every time we visit Granada. Their coffee is the best, in the fine never-ending-refills-at-no-extra-charge tradition of mom & pop places in the States. Their potions are robust, as are many of the clientèle. And the beggars passing by only ask for dollar donations - that's class!

I would never dream of entering a food joint that reeks 'franchise', like GHOP .

Looks like the breakfast at my Elementary school
    Dios es Amor!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by renco View Post
    JW, stop being so darn diplomatic, tell us what you really think.

I actually agree about the GHOP, as with all things copied, it is just not right. My experience was bad coffee (mortal sin in Nicaragua), high prices and blah food. The good part was the service which was very attentive.

Hey I like Kathy's Waffle house, I have had the pleasure of stickin; my feet under one of her tables...

And that Cornhole 'old man, what;s his face Sandy, Gandy or somthing or other....That sells property.......

Hey I like 'em both, it is a Mom and Pop operation, that Mc Doogles cannot even begin to compete with.......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

GHOP is IHOP's ghetto cousin
    Dios es Amor!

Blog Entries

What?you had breakfast at school? all we had was cornflakes and milk AT HOME and oatmeal or cream of Wheat on a cold day.......

Dam and not the river Kind....

Ain't NOTHING done at home any more? $hit we started classes at 8 AM..... not like here in Nicaragua, taking out for play time 2 1/2 hours of actual studies in a school day....

Blog Entries

What?you had breakfast at school? all we had was cornflakes and milk AT HOME and oatmeal or cream of Wheat on a cold day.......

Dam and not the river Kind....

Ain't NOTHING done at home any more? $hit we started classes at 8 AM..... not like here in Nicaragua, taking out for play time 2 1/2 hours of actual studies in a school day....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post

Hey I like Kathy's Waffle house, I have had the pleasure of stickin; my feet under one of her tables...

And that Cornhole 'old man, what;s his face Sandy, Gandy or somthing or other....That sells property.......

Hey I like 'em both, it is a Mom and Pop operation, that Mc Doogles cannot even begin to compete with.......
    Been to Nica Buffet? It's like Kathy's without the yuppies and high prices.

It's also the only place in town for bagels with locks and cream cheese (old habits die hard).
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

My friend Steve and Cefy started the joint, too bad she went astray......

I will see the end of the movie, God spare simple life....

Blog Entries

My friend Steve and Cefy started the joint, too bad she went astray......

I will see the end of the movie, God spare simple life....