Thread: Swamp honeymoon

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Swamp honeymoon

Jones County, swamps so thick, why a man, could wander out his days there, if he had no since of direction.

Beautiful tall Cypress and Oak trees, Spanish Moss hanging from the limbs, A Juniper once in a while and Merkul bushes the deer ate the leaves off of.....

And the deer would go on raiding parties to destroy the crops of the local farmers in the surounding areas.

Sometimes drastic measures for population control of them had to be done.....

As in legaly bustin' some of them's A** in the night time,and giving the meat to the poor folks...

Shinin' a spot lite over a corn or bean field, they looked like a bunch of cows out there.....

And down in there in the Swamps, lives "The Hertford" Biggest White Tail deer ever been, with a grey collar around his neck from age...

The He Coon saw him one time, but was so shocked, could only admire him, as he rose from the ground after a sleep, streched, and took a dump........

When you see 'em little balls in the woods, it ain't always Goat Feces....

They "Smart Pills" you eat one of them, and it will smarten' you right up quick.....

The Military go down in there to give 'em city boy's a bit of jungle style training, and they do it in the summer months, when it abounds with CopperHeads and RattleSnake eggs.....Jones County is famious for these.....

Big around as a full grown man's fore arm 'em snakes are...

They(the military) didn't go down in there much durin' Huntin' Season, because 'em local Redneks that been keepin the woods clean of "Critters" for Generations would disarm them and take thier guns.....

Everybody knew the Marines were only shootin' blanks in the swamps, they were not issued "Live" ammo, some of 'em couldn't even kill a Squreel with a limb...

Hey what can I say, it did happen a time or two....

Now me and my first wife had known each other from when I was 17 and she 18 years of age, dove the reefs of the Florida Keys, Even took her mother on a trip diving to Sombrero Reef diving off the 'old Bahama Moma Lobster boat offshore of Marathon Florida....

Bet it is still in her mind today.... Both New York City girls.....

We fished in the Gulf of Mexico, camped out on the Snow in up State New York and deer hunted there, and spent one of the coldest nights ever been in the humid cold damp near Wilmington NC in a tent after eating a rabbit I killed and she cooked it on a wood fire.....

Boy were we in love, with each other, and the Wild out of the way places we could find....

We were married at 23 and 24 years old in Virginia, and Honeymooned in the Swamps of Jones County NC, camping at a place called Wilcox's bridge.

My Grandmother on my mothers side, Born Nannie May Wilcox, her Grandfather Steve Wilcox, built the origanal bridge before the Civil War over the Trent river runnin' from Goshen Swamp to the Neuse river at New Bern into the Pamilico Sound and on to the sea.......

The He Coon is buried in Pamlico County from 1985, spittin distance from Broad Creek that fed into the Neuse, where he Hard Crabbed for a livin' the last 10 years of his life.......

I was quite the romantic in those days and she too, gave each other new shotguns for Christmas the previous year, she got a Genuine Belguim Browning, and gave me a Deluxe single shot Itallian shotgun with one of them new fangled vinted rib line of sights, full choke barrel, a dime wouldn't go out the end of it dropped down the barrel of it, really held the charge of squreell shot together for a long ways...

Her brother Jorge, an Artist in the City, (NYC) confined to a wheel chair with a dibilitating desease that left him without the use of his legs, on a trip to Carolina, fired it one time and thought he had been in a car accident.

But it would get a squeerll way up in 'em trees in the swamp....I killed 23 one day fireing it 24 times, brused me black and blue, till I made a few modifactions...

I hunted that river from 2 years old with the He Coon as my guide and mentor.

I stepped out of the boat one time, thinkin' to just walk ashore. and he got me by the hair of the head and drug me ashore, on a rather cool fall day, built a fire, dryed my clothes off over it, and moma would have killed him if he came home without me.

Ahhh, the Boat and drifting down that river on a huntin' honeymoon trip....

It was one of 'em square ended Jon boats, that my wife had started down the river on with myself, an approved "Ted Williams" special sold by Sears and Robucke, she in the bow with her shotgun lookin' squrells, and perhaps a wood duck, me in the back handeling the paddle drifting along, no motor of any kind.

I had a string tied to the paddle to just slip it into the river soundlessy to pick up my shotgun in case of any "Action" as the He Coon, and my mother before me had done when they were young......

In their days is was a heavy wide board wooden batau they used.....

That "Ted Williams" special was Fibre Glas, Quartz rock and plastic, not an aluminimun beer can that if you bumped the side of it with your paddle, could be heard up and down the river for 2 miles.....

The river 20 to 50 feet wide and 4 inches to 4 foot deep in places when there wasn't a flood, fallen trees to cross, tree tops with branches on them to go around layin' down in the river......

We killed us a few squrrells that morning and so had what to eat for that evening.

I wasn't really interested in doin' any thing more for the day, just being with her, and her excitement of being somewhere she had never been before in life, till that night after a cook out back at camp.

So just layin' back I got ready, unless a stupid 'ole deer, or Hog Bear came along, I put a charge of Buckshot in my gun...

Now I ain't no Crockidile Dundee, but I am a Country Boy, and react to dangers without even thinking about it...

And in all honestly it happened so fast, I had to think about it a bit afterwards...

Now a 12 gauge shotgun is a "Basturd" close up, don't matter if you got birdshot in it or buckshot in it...

We had come up close to a fallen tree top in the river......

And there, streched out on a limb in the middle of the nice fall day, because it had warmed up a bit, was a Copperhead Snake sunnin' his self, a pit viper, deadly to a weak, or young person in a mussle strike on the leg, but to the head or neck?

Death.... He was big, big around as my arm, and about 5 feet long...

And my wifes head was two feet from his head and he recoiling on the limb back to strike with his head up...

I don't know what had happened to me letting my guard down in the swamp, but the next thing I knew, was my wife, shouting at me for shooting so close to her head with the gun....

Being a City Girl, she never even saw him comoflaged in the fallin down tree top like he was, and me, day dreamin' about "Night Things" till it was almost too late....

I back paddled and got his headless body out of the river and threw in in the bottom of the boat and that calmed her down.....

The skin was 7 inches wide tacked up on the wall...

That evening back at the tent camp at the bridge was what got me so tickled I couldn't stand it.....

Now the He Coon had taught we boy's to skin a squreell and pick the shot out from the flesh, from his tail to the tip of his nose.

Moma and Moma Nannie and Ma Pearl would stew 'em down to a low gravy, heads and all......

We boys would fight over the heads, the jaw meat, toungues, and the bit larger than a marble brain, that was the best part....

Uuuu Weeee, my City girl wife wanted no part of cookin' and eatin' Squrrell heads, but the rest of the animal she didn't have a problem with...

Over a camp fire, she cooked 'em critters up in a Dutch oven loaded up with Adle Davis' "Brown Rice" with a "Rose Hip" thrown in for vitamans, a little salt and black pepper and onions , and it was a feast to be sure, with some store bought lite bread.....

But I had taken the heads, sauted 'em up a bit with catail roots, and a few other secret Swamp spices that Coronel Sanders don't know about, wrapped em up in tin foil real good, and placed them under the coals to the campfire for a slow roast.....

She saw me do it, but said nothing......

A good 'ole boy from the County came down in there lookin' "Hard Rock" one of his best deer hounds that evening.

I think it was just to see who was camped out down there, he was nice about it, "Hey you folks seen a tan and white with a collar on runnin' around down here?"

And when I opened my Jones County mouth, being nice also, and eventually tellin' him who my family was, and told him we were a honeymoonin', he wished us all the best, and left us alone to go I guess, look his dog in another neck of the Swamp.

In the conversation that transpired, my wife wanted to know why he had named the dog "Hard Rock"......

Well mam.... I had to name him something...

Down in there if a dog was runnin around without a collar on he got shot to not be a burden on the wild life.....They will take many baby deer, possums and squreells in the sprIng and summer....

Coupla logs rolled up by the camp fire, we sittin there a talkin about any and everything, the night sounds and the cool of the season startin' to kick in, and I get a bit hungry, for more food and then my wife, in that order.....

In 'em days I could eat a whole chicken, stuffin, vegatables and half gallon of sweet Iced tea, not to mention a few buscutts and hush puppies to go with it....I only weighed 160 pounds soackin' wet, and could throw a 100 pound sack of lobster bait well over my head....

I scratched around the edge of the fire and got my "Cookin" out, dusted it off and got ready to have another feast.....

My wife bless her heart, turned around on the log she was sittin' on to not watch me, and that is how we continued our conversation as I ate those Squrell heads.....

When finished, I washed up, and she turned around and gave me her full attentiion, as I did her, and 9 months later just about to the day, she gave me a daughter...

Born on the most beautiful sunny day in Queens County New York City in July ever been, in the home of my wifes childhood...

Next my father in law, Lief, the Square Head.... (spelling doubtfull)
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Default Re: Swamp honeymoon

You can write a book Amigo... heck I'll buy it
    Dios es Amor!

Blog Entries

That is what I am doing that or a Memwars...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Great bedtime story.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

Glad you liked it El D......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Glad you liked it El D......
    Check your private messages.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

You always leave us wanting more JPJW ... great story.

And Sombrero Reef is still a great dive.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

"Now the He Coon had taught we boy's to skin a squreell and pick the shot out from the flesh, from his tail to the tip of his nose."

Never could clean one completely clean of the shot myself... always ended up spitting out some.... never very many since I only used a 410 for squirrels...

Nice story and great memory for you! Thanks for sharing it!
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Great , great , story. You have a talent JW.

When does the book finally go to print?! I need a good book for the bathroom