Thread: "...but they just keep pulling me back in."

Default "...but they just keep pulling me back in."

Greetings and Saludos. I've spent the last 18 months working on my English degree and manning a cubical. It's below freezing outside and my world has transformed into a grey and white blur. Now, I know this isn't a blog, but it will help me get back into my blog, so I'm putting it in here anyway.
    My parents have been living in Panama city, Panama for awhile now, and my brothers and I are planning a trip down to see them. Origionally, the modest plan was to fly directly into Panama--but that was before I had my say.
    We are now planning a trip that includes visits to El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. Right now, these are the broad strokes:
    1) Fly into Managua and see some local sites. 2) Travel (somehow) across the country to Bluefields. I had heard somewhere that it is possible to make part of this trip by river... 3) Travel (by boat or plane) to Corn Island and enjoy the white sand beaches and crystal clear ocean. 4) Travel back to the Atlantic side of Nicaragua in order to find tranportation (by bus?) into Costa Rica. 5) Spend a few days enjoying Costa Rica and then Travel down into Panama. 6) Meet up with parents in Panama and have them show us around. 7) Travel to El Salvador and Guatemala together. 8) Fly home.
    Obviously, there are areas that need some flushing out--or maybe even just flushing. That where you come in.
    My first big question is--what is the best way to travel from Managua to Bluefields and/or Corn Island? I've heard of a "road" to Puerto Cabezas and a neck spraining week long bus ride, but I haven't heard how one gets to Bluefields. Also, Once we get to Bluefields does anybody know if there are boats regularly taking trips out to corn Island, or if we arrange that stage of the trip ahead of time? We'd also be ok with taking a plane out to the island--and I have the same question about that.
    I'm open to the possibility of flying, but I'd prefer to fly only one way if there's a chance to travel across the county on the ground/river. Has anyone done this?
    I've heard of using Tica-Bus to travel from Managua down to Costa Rica. Should we expect any problems traveling between countries where we only intend to stay for a short duration?
    Would someone suggest any "must do" or "must see" experiences in Costa Rica? We're turning over most of the reigns once we get to Panama, so I mainly need suggestions/advise on how to get around Nicaragua, and what to see/do in Costa Rica. I'd appreciate any and all feedback.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Default Re: "...but they just keep pulling me back in."

Bus Managua to El Rama

Boat down river to Bluefields

Ferry Bluefields to Big Corn

Plan on waiting a lot.

.................................................. ...........................

Or Fly Managua to Bluefields and then fly to Big Corn.

.................................................. ..........................

Costa Rica by bus will be out of Managua.... not Bluefields.

.................................................. ...........................

Good Luck.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chicken bus to Puerto Cabezas from Managua, it is dry time now more or less 18 hours, or fly, Wednesday direct flight to Corn Island, fly or take ferry to Bluefields, up the "Hidden River" Rio Escondido by boat to Rama, busses from there back to civilization.....

Hey this ain't Hollywood.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Default dry now

We'll be in Nicaragua in May. I believe that's the wet season. Do they stop running buses out to Puerto Cabezas when it's wet?
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Default Re: dry now

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    We'll be in Nicaragua in May. I believe that's the wet season. Do they stop running buses out to Puerto Cabezas when it's wet?
    Not quite the wet season yet, but it's never really dry east of the lake.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

Default Re: dry now

No it will still be dry then, well somewhat...No the buses don't stop, they are slowed down by heavy rains due the the rivers flooding and sometimes have to wait a day or two for them to subside, May is an excellent time for the chicken bus ride....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

just pack your pillow

Blog Entries

For the A$$........

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post

Hey this ain't Hollywood.....
    it sounds like hollywood, indiana jones and the temple of doom, errr, uhmm, the temple of pain...
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    For the A$$........
    Ass pillow. Check.

This reminds me off a 75 mile hike that I took as a teenager in the Bob Marshal wilderness in Montana over the continental divide a couple of times.

I showed up with a pillow strapped to the back of my backpack and was mocked by my friends that whole first day...until we got to our first campsite and pitched our tents over the rocky ground. )

Then they made me their king.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Oh and buy a 3 dollar hammock with ropes.... For just in case.... It can be strung up most anywhere..... the TRN way to travel.......

Our Everlasting Love ! doming00's Avatar

Greetings and Saludos. I've spent the last 18 months working on my English degree and manning a cubical. It's below freezing outside and my world has transformed into a grey and white blur. Now, I know this isn't a blog, but it will help me get back into my blog, so I'm putting it in here anyway.
    My parents have been living in Panama city, Panama for awhile now, and my brothers and I are planning a trip down to see them. Origionally, the modest plan was to fly directly into Panama--but that was before I had my say.
    We are now planning a trip that includes visits to El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. Right now, these are the broad strokes:
    1) Fly into Managua and see some local sites. 2) Travel (somehow) across the country to Bluefields. I had heard somewhere that it is possible to make part of this trip by river... 3) Travel (by boat or plane) to Corn Island and enjoy the white sand beaches and crystal clear ocean. 4) Travel back to the Atlantic side of Nicaragua in order to find tranportation (by bus?) into Costa Rica. 5) Spend a few days enjoying Costa Rica and then Travel down into Panama. 6) Meet up with parents in Panama and have them show us around. 7) Travel to El Salvador and Guatemala together. 8) Fly home.
    Obviously, there are areas that need some flushing out--or maybe even just flushing. That where you come in.
    My first big question is--what is the best way to travel from Managua to Bluefields and/or Corn Island? I've heard of a "road" to Puerto Cabezas and a neck spraining week long bus ride, but I haven't heard how one gets to Bluefields. Also, Once we get to Bluefields does anybody know if there are boats regularly taking trips out to corn Island, or if we arrange that stage of the trip ahead of time? We'd also be ok with taking a plane out to the island--and I have the same question about that.
    I'm open to the possibility of flying, but I'd prefer to fly only one way if there's a chance to travel across the county on the ground/river. Has anyone done this?
    I've heard of using Tica-Bus to travel from Managua down to Costa Rica. Should we expect any problems traveling between countries where we only intend to stay for a short duration?
    Would someone suggest any "must do" or "must see" experiences in Costa Rica? We're turning over most of the reigns once we get to Panama, so I mainly need suggestions/advise on how to get around Nicaragua, and what to see/do in Costa Rica. I'd appreciate any and all feedback.

Do not forget to see Chinandega !! Lots of volcanos and beaches here, come and stay with us at the hotel cosiguina. We are located in the center of town of Chinandega within walking distance of all area attractions. See our website at www.hotelcosiguina.net. Let me know and I will give you a discount on our already low priced hotel rate. I am the hotel manager of the hotel cosiguina, just ask for Eddie L. Dominguez. The receptionist can reach me by my cell phone in case I am not on the hotel property.
    Last edited by doming00; 12-21-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by doming00 View Post
    Do not forget to see Chinandega !! Lots of volcanos and beaches here, come and stay with us at the hotel cosiguina. We are located in the center of town of Chinandega within walking distance of all area attractions. See our website at www.hotelcosiguina.net. Let me know and I will give you a discount on our already low priced hotel rate. I am the hotel manager of the hotel cosiguina, just ask for Eddie L. Dominguez. The receptionist can reach me by my cell phone in case I am not on the hotel property.
    We're planning a trip up to the North: Leon, Chinandega, Corinto, but we haven't ironed out any details--yet. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Soy el chele mono.