Thread: Door to Door Turkey Salesman

Default Door to Door Turkey Salesman

A bit before Thanksgiving I had a talk with a friend of mine a few blocks away on my street. He loves to cook and has been Americanized by his Miami Family. So he asked me if I was going to cook up a Turkey for Thanksgiving, I said no, because they were too expensive, and my oven was too small. He mentioned to me that on occasion a Turkey vendor comes by his house selling some live turkeys cheap.

Today, I got a knock-on-my-door (Buenas) and was greeted by a fairly large turkey, had too be in the 20 pound range when dressed, and a salesman. He wanted 450 cordobas for this Christmas turkey. No one feels like cooking this Christmas, so I turned him away. There has been some talk of buying an already prepared Gallina Rellena to avoid a day of cooking this Christmas, and a Lomo Relleno for New Years.

btw... does anyone have any good plans on building a smoker? and any good web pages on cooking with one for beginners? I have always enjoyed smoked meats.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Door to Door Turkey Salesman

One question 3F, do you like grilling hamburgers, chickens, etc.?......

Now my little 'ole grill has a top on it for the chickens and pork and well you know stuff that takes longer than a steak over a hot fire....

I turn the fire down, as in not putting to much fuel in it and just feed it along.....

Patience is the big thing with smoking things....

And I either throw chips of the Nancitie wood on top of the coals or the Guava leaves right green off the tree........

It will make a puppy pull a freight train.......
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

3F's here is a video about smoking in your BBQ grill it could be gas or Nica grill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=droqmzBbBsE
    Dios es Amor!

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    btw... does anyone have any good plans on building a smoker? and any good web pages on cooking with one for beginners? I have always enjoyed smoked meats.
    While not smoked, how about trashed...

I bet you can whip up one of these down there.. Trash Can Turkey..

[YT]vR5MDq140dY[/YT]

Text

One of the people in the (camp) site next to us whipped one of these last August... Oh man was it good..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Trash can smoker...

[YT]TsuQQ0CJooU[/YT]

Blog Entries

Kiwi ingenuity...

[YT]BvQFStgZyaU[/YT]

Not sure how easy it would be to find old LPG tanks their tough as I assume they use them forever down there..

Here they will not refill them after the date stamp has been exceeded by 10 yrs and they are quire readily available..

Internet connection today is really slow, I will have to look at these videos another day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Kiwi ingenuity...

Not sure how easy it would be to find old LPG tanks their tough as I assume they use them forever down there..

Here they will not refill them after the date stamp has been exceeded by 10 yrs and they are quire readily available..
    In Louisiana, we made them out of old 30 inch pipe from oilfield salvage jobs. Real thick steel that made for a good smoker. We just a 3 foot section of pipe, welded a bottom on it and fashioned a lid. I don't imagine there's a lot of that stuff sitting around Nicaragua, but it might give you some ideas.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

Ok lets get back to the basics here......

What are we trying to cook and how much?..........

And with TRN's hundreds of year's experiance from it's membership......

We'll help you get the job done..... And on time..... and without spending a bunch of money, just time scroungeing around a bit....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

either throw chips of the Nancitie wood on top of the coals or the Guava leaves right green off the tree.
    I was very impressed with the flavor imparted using horseradish tree wood (it's what I recently cooked the Cuban trasera de lomo over).

does anyone have any good plans on building a smoker?
    Roger says fastest and cheapest way to build your smoker for that turkey would be to purchase two metal buckets (like for drawing well water...Lugo's has them) and a small grate to go in between. Put hot coals in the bottom of one, put grate over and turkey on top, then cover with second metal bucket. You'll have to add more coals from time to time, but this'll be lots cheaper than buying a big metal can or barrel and installing the pipes, digging a small hole, etc.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    I was very impressed with the flavor imparted using horseradish tree wood (it's what I recently cooked the Cuban trasera de lomo over).

Roger says fastest and cheapest way to build your smoker for that turkey would be to purchase two metal buckets (like for drawing well water...Lugo's has them) and a small grate to go in between. Put hot coals in the bottom of one, put grate over and turkey on top, then cover with second metal bucket. You'll have to add more coals from time to time, but this'll be lots cheaper than buying a big metal can or barrel and installing the pipes, digging a small hole, etc.
    I have seen pictures of smokers built with the 55 gallon drums, they sell for about 150-200 cordobas here, and with a little welding I thought this would make for something nice, but I will have to look around the internet for some plans... The bucket idea seems like a quick fix, I think I will try it in the new year, my 2010 New Years Resolution.

Blog Entries

Ahhh, Mil... we are only talking about one turkey.....

Not you 3F....

Roger is right, you can improvise quickly but I still say, start ahead of time, and take your time, a little coals all along..

And I don't know anything about the horseradish tree, can you enlighten us a bit Mil..?