Thread: Modems

Blog Entries

Default Modems

Last night, between my office and the bedroom, our modem died. I didn't know it was dead until today, though. It seemed merely unconscious, capable of being revived so I held out hope. Its lights were blinking a merry red and green to complement the season, though green alone was the proper indication of good health.

I had just done something online in my office, using my HP Mini 1000, and snapped it shut to go read an e-book in bed. The Barnes and Noble e-reader software for PC works pretty nicely, by the way, and saves you from shelling out $259 for a Nook. Anyway, when I pried open the computer I wanted to do just one more thing online (you know how it is). But the WiFi signal was gone. Not just weak or slow, totally gone.

So after a half hour or so back in the office to attempt resuscitation of the 2Wire modem/router, I gave up and went to bed.

This morning I called AT&T, and they told me a red power light meant the unit was "defective" as he put it. Being a year and a half old, it was also out of warranty. So he kindly ordered a new one to be overnighted to us for $120, spread out over ten months on our internet bill.

So until tomorrow (or the next day, he warned, this being the Christmas season and all), my access to TRN and email will be limited to trips to the library or other places with WiFi hotspots.

Maybe I'll get some things done around the house.

Default Re: Modems

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Last night, between my office and the bedroom, our modem died. I didn't know it was dead until today, though. It seemed merely unconscious, capable of being revived so I held out hope. Its lights were blinking a merry red and green to complement the season, though green alone was the proper indication of good health.

I had just done something online in my office, using my HP Mini 1000, and snapped it shut to go read an e-book in bed. The Barnes and Noble e-reader software for PC works pretty nicely, by the way, and saves you from shelling out $259 for a Nook. Anyway, when I pried open the computer I wanted to do just one more thing online (you know how it is). But the WiFi signal was gone. Not just weak or slow, totally gone.

So after a half hour or so back in the office to attempt resuscitation of the 2Wire modem/router, I gave up and went to bed.

This morning I called AT&T, and they told me a red power light meant the unit was "defective" as he put it. Being a year and a half old, it was also out of warranty. So he kindly ordered a new one to be overnighted to us for $120, spread out over ten months on our internet bill.

So until tomorrow (or the next day, he warned, this being the Christmas season and all), my access to TRN and email will be limited to trips to the library or other places with WiFi hotspots.

Maybe I'll get some things done around the house.
    Bye Jonh. It was nice while it lasted....

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey I know the feeling of withdrawells, shaking of the fingers, cold sweats, etc of not having almost constant conact with TRN and my internet family......

It's a bit*h.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

It would appear that 2Wire has risen.

It's a festivus miralce!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Must be you did two lines on that post.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

I can´t tell you how many times I have had problems with my internet connection in the US, whenever I called the internet provider customer service they would always tell me the Modem is defective, I knew it wasn´t the modem and ended up troubleshooting the thing myself and ever time after about a day of changing settings it would work.

Blog Entries

Well, the modem must have appeared to me just so it could ascend to heaven. It only lasted a few minutes. But the new one arrived about noon today just as promised and it's installed and working. Thank you UPS and AT&T.