Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Vista to Windows 7

Blog Entries

Default Upgrade Vista to Windows 7

In October I bought a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. Dual Processor, 64 bit Vista, 5gb Ram, 500gb HD (there about) etc. A nice higher end Dell anyway. It was a screamer at first and started to crash on me pretty bad. I reformatted the HD Twice that seemed to help each time, but I still got some crashes.

Now interestingly, I have a new Acer Desktop with Vista, 64 Bit, pretty much a lot of the same features and it never crashes. A chick on another board said that Dell software conflicts with Vista. Another person in another said Windows released Vista without coordinating with all of the various vendors too well (in order to provide the correct drivers, etc). So what I seem to get out of this is that upgading to Windows 7 was a good idea. I even had an IT professional in Louisiana tell me that Windows 7 was a less gimicky, less sophisticated, less memory dependant operating system. So I have decided to install the upgrade.

With my new Dell system, because of when I bought it, I was given the upgrade for Free. Although I backed everything up the upgrade did not delete my files or even my bookmarks. It was an easy upgrade and not like the reformatting that I thought I would be doing. This case may be specific to only a few, so those that do upgrade to 7 another way may not experience this. The software upgrade disk that I recieved said it was a very specific upgrade for a Dell ect ect 64 bit etc.

I will keep you guys posted on how this works out.

John, you ever think of having a forum for computers?
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Default Re: Upgrade Vista to Windows 7

You mean a computer section of TRN, or a separate forum with its own URL?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post

Don't you think that one pissing contest is enough?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Don't you think that one pissing contest is enough?
    Mac vs Linux vs Windows?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    You mean a computer section of TRN, or a separate forum with its own URL?
    Just a section on computers John. Like the Unclassified has a lot of computer stuff in it and I thought maybeTRN needed a computer section.
    Survivor

Our Everlasting Love ! doming00's Avatar

In October I bought a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. Dual Processor, 64 bit Vista, 5gb Ram, 500gb HD (there about) etc. A nice higher end Dell anyway. It was a screamer at first and started to crash on me pretty bad. I reformatted the HD Twice that seemed to help each time, but I still got some crashes.

Now interestingly, I have a new Acer Desktop with Vista, 64 Bit, pretty much a lot of the same features and it never crashes. A chick on another board said that Dell software conflicts with Vista. Another person in another said Windows released Vista without coordinating with all of the various vendors too well (in order to provide the correct drivers, etc). So what I seem to get out of this is that upgading to Windows 7 was a good idea. I even had an IT professional in Louisiana tell me that Windows 7 was a less gimicky, less sophisticated, less memory dependant operating system. So I have decided to install the upgrade.

With my new Dell system, because of when I bought it, I was given the upgrade for Free. Although I backed everything up the upgrade did not delete my files or even my bookmarks. It was an easy upgrade and not like the reformatting that I thought I would be doing. This case may be specific to only a few, so those that do upgrade to 7 another way may not experience this. The software upgrade disk that I recieved said it was a very specific upgrade for a Dell ect ect 64 bit etc.

I will keep you guys posted on how this works out.

I currently have windows vista home premium 64 bit with a 760gb hard drive and it works fine with me. The driver for my old Hp printer was easy to find and download from the internet. Just out of curiosity, I put my computer system through a check to see if compatible to windows 7 and the test result showed that my system passed with flying colors for the upgrade if I chose to do so. But since i am happy with what i have then why change?

Blog Entries

Sony put Vista 64 on this thing and that's what's staying until they say they have their own upgrade available. It's hard enough to get everything just right without mucking it up with new high falootin operating systems that, if the past is any indicator, won't really be ready until Service Pack 2. I'm sick of paying to be a beta tester for Microsoft.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    Sony put Vista 64 on this thing and that's what's staying until they say they have their own upgrade available. It's hard enough to get everything just right without mucking it up with new high falootin operating systems that, if the past is any indicator, won't really be ready until Service Pack 2. I'm sick of paying to be a beta tester for Microsoft.

Windows 7 is less gimicky than Vista, and so far I like it. Some of the icons in the tool bar look different, and I do not like that.. But the transition is going well.

You got your's before MS offered the free upgrade, but if you got your's later they would likely be supporting the free upgrade. My MS Disk say Dell on them.

So far so good.
    Survivor

Go for Windows 7. I have religiously downgraded from Vista to Windows XP on every machine I have had in my hands in the last two years (and there have been plenty). http://ventadepationica.blogspot.com/

I have had the opportunity to install Windows 7 on some of these same machines that had Windows XP and can say that I am very pleased with the results. From now on it will be Windows 7 for me.

I have a little 7" ASUS netbook. I have XP on it and it runs pretty snappy. My next experiment is to put Windows 7 on. I'll update you later....

Go for it. It has almost made me a believer. Just make sure you have 2gb of ram or more.

I have a machine with a 64bit Pentium 4 processor, 5 gb of ram and its running Windows XP, I can´t recall the processor speed, but I believe it was still a bit low for Windows Vista. I never did get to utilize the 64 bit processor or the full ram I had on that machine, I am kind of wondering if I should try putting Windows 7 on there?

Our Everlasting Love ! doming00's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    I have a machine with a 64bit Pentium 4 processor, 5 gb of ram and its running Windows XP, I can´t recall the processor speed, but I believe it was still a bit low for Windows Vista. I never did get to utilize the 64 bit processor or the full ram I had on that machine, I am kind of wondering if I should try putting Windows 7 on there?
    3F, you have the required 2gb ram for windows 7 but you need to have minimum 20 gb free space on your hard drive and cpu speed of 1GHz or more. With that you are set to upgrade. To find out the speed on your processor go to Control panel and then click on system and maintenance.
    Last edited by doming00; 01-03-2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: add in

Blog Entries

My experience and everything I've read shows that upgrading from Vista to 7 will put a spring in your step, and a shine in your hair. Windows 7 is what Vista was supposed to be.

My favorite feature of 7 is that the machine boots up faster than any computer I've had, well, pretty much ever. On boot up, it only loads the stuff you need, instead of loading everything it's got just in case you might think of using it.

Blog Entries

And I think Randude is right, a separate computer forum might be a good idea.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doming00 View Post
    3F, you have the required 2gb ram for windows 7 but you need to have minimum 20 gb free space on your hard drive and cpu speed of 1GHz or more. With that you are set to upgrade. To find out the speed on your processor go to Control panel and then click on system and maintenance.
    You also need a video card with some nuggies as well. They seem to recommend 512mb of video card memory and up with 1GB being the "cruise" level...

You can also find out a lot of your current PC if you do a right click on "my computer" pick "properties" from the menu.

I got 4 old(ish) Dual core Xeons that were decommissioned at work. One is XP, one is Ubuntu. XP is only 32 bit, Ubuntu 64.. With a pure math program (Seti, looking for spacemen) with 2 equal PC's in every way.. the 64 bit OS crunches results 3X faster than the 32bit OS..

I'll probably whip Win 7 on one of these in Feb or March..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Just a thought on Windows 7, I have a new machine with it, be aware that there is third party software that will not run on 7. I like the operating system but will stay with MAC for the time being. I bought the new machine because my old Sony is on its last leg, but the software I needed to transfer over won’t work. So, just a heads up.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Blog Entries

A week after upgrading from Vista to Windows 7.

My Laptop has not locked up on me.

I like the feel and way W7 works. Getting used to the differences.

I do have some conflicts at boot up with some of the Dell drivers etc, and that is annoying, but the computer functions well and at a good speed after I clear the warnings.

I am glad I upgraded to W7 on my Dell Inspiron 1545.
    Survivor

HEY!!!!! Look who the cat dragged in! Where ya been?

A week after upgrading from Vista to Windows 7.

My Laptop has not locked up on me.

I like the feel and way W7 works. Getting used to the differences.

I do have some conflicts at boot up with some of the Dell drivers etc, and that is annoying, but the computer functions well and at a good speed after I clear the warnings.

I am glad I upgraded to W7 on my Dell Inspiron 1545.
    "If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JackMcG View Post
    HEY!!!!! Look who the cat dragged in! Where ya been?

Jack, Mi hemano grande

Yeah I am being a bit quiet. Sharon reads everything I write on all the different places that I do write, so I have to be careful. My divorce is final in about a month and after that things will be better. I should be more free to talk about myself and so on. I have a lot going on right now that is going to change where I work and what I do, but I have to keep it off the boards. She thinks it is fun to try to make drama for me at my work place to embarass me or get me fired. She also likes to try to keep me from having romance in the same way. She has a reasonable degree of success at that so I have to respect the power of that hateful bitch.
    Survivor

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey, kill the bitch and done, buy a pistol on the street, put it to her head and pull the fu*kin trigger.........

You won't feel a thing........

If you can;t handle it I can.....

Hear me here me hear Bitch?

Leave the the man alone.......

Or I will come in the night....

In your deepest darkest hours of fear......

I will bust your sorry ass.......

Randy has paid me to do it.....

Have Gun..... Will Travel.....

John Wayne

To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Uh JW, you all right there buddy?

Blog Entries

No I am fucked up, a bit drunk at this hour in the morning.....But I am speaking my feelings....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

All women have an experaition date.......

Sorry but that is how it is......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    All women have an experaition date.......

Sorry but that is how it is......

Blog Entries

Well thanks JW, and although I know you are just joking that is some rough talk. I guess you all know by now that I am completely against voilence and do not seek any revenge. All I have ever wanted and continue to want is to be left alone. Still, I will never hurt anyone or endorse the concept of the same regardless of what others do. I live my life and feel better about myself knowing that I would never hurt anyone in any way. I feel good that I have good things coming my way. I got a good job and a good woman in my life and I feel it is from living my life the way I do. It is not a religious or a karma thing. It is just people knowing that I can keep my head no matter what is happening around me.

And Windows 7 is working really good for me. The complaints I had about conflicts with Dell were removed when I did a complete reinstall.
    Survivor

Active TRN Member

Default Shameless plug

Just wanna remind people that I and Silvio Lopez are collecting used computers for a computer lab we are organizing for poor kids in the public school in La Conquista.

Right now we have collected almost enough technology to start a pilot project, and rewiring of the classroom is underway. What we are missing to complete this loop are computer monitors. JackmcG has kindly contributed one, but we need another 6 or 7. Clunky used CRTs are perfect for our purposes but right now they are too expensive to ship by themselves from North America. If you know of any used monitors up for grabs here in Nicaragua, please contact me a.s.a.p. We also need a printer for the network.

Beyond that, I am told that a lot of businesses and organizations in North America are starting to mothball relatively recent models in order to upgrade from XP and Vista to Windows 7. Apparently there is not much of a market up there for used computers loaded with the old OSs but they are perfect for instructional purposes down here as long as they are fully functional.

I you know of any organization that is doing this, would it be possible for you to put us in touch with them? As much as possible we are trying to avoid collecting single computer systems. Instead, we are trying to pull multiple systems of at least 7 or more stations from one source, all of the same make and model. This makes the task of maintaining the network(s) much easier, as well as cannibalizing failed systems for used parts.

As for the specs: Ideally we would like mini-towers with Pentium 4 onboard but 3s would be acceptable too. About 30 gigs and 2 drams would be the minimum.

I have a detailed pamphlet about the project I can send you if you or your contacts need more info.

Please contact me if you think you can help us out. A lot of poor kids in La Conquista would be grateful for whatever support you could provide them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast