Thread: Happy Hour in Granada

Default Happy Hour in Granada

Hello friends. I need people's opinions about who has got the best happy hour here in Granada...maybe not the best, just a collection of good happy hours.

What are the days? From when to when? What drink specials?

Please help a brother out heah....

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Happy Hour in Granada

El D or HC should know that both being Bar Flies.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Bring it on then....

Blog Entries

And DSB and Thom know of nice places to go to....

That is what TRN is about, to give a headsup and personal opnions.....

But sometimes gets to be about Everything in the World....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Depends on what you're looking for and who you're going with.

First off, there is little in the way of a real "happy hour" where the drinks are half off and the place quickly fills with commuters on their way from the office. Some places will do 2 x 1 margaritas or Nica Libres, but in general the booze has very little margin anyway so it costs the same all the time everywhere... dirt cheap.

1. You want gringo style, older crowd, classic rock on the speakers and sports on the screens, the Zoom Bar is practically sovereign U.S. territory. Good selection of whiskeys and assorted imported distilled spirits, plus Heineken beer in addition to the usual one-two punch of Toña or Victoria. Sports bar like back home, but the beer is still only a buck the burgers are a half pound AFTER cooking with Wayne's own ground beef that tastes like burger should and doesn't fall apart like regular Nica ground round.

2. You want more fruity drinks and a younger crowd, Nectar has one of those margarita deals I talked about from the afternoons to early evening on weekdays. They have live music (semi-acoustic neo-hippie gotta save the world stuff), food I don't care for much (but La Baby Doc does). They also make a bunch of fruity drinks in various colors. Can't say how good they are because alcohol and fruit don't mix, but the ladies like it.

3. Roadhouse right across the street from Nectar does the typical happy-hour style stuff with the 2 x 1 margaritas and whatnot. I swear the place is a perfect ripoff of TGI Friday's, complete with all the jerseys on the walls, the deep-fried menu, and a million bottles of assorted spirits on the wall. Personally, it's too loud for my taste and the indoor part is air conditioned which makes me feel like I'm drinking in a refrigerator. Some people think that's a plus, so they draw 'em in for that, but I didn't come here to shiver.

4. Jimmy Three Fingers has sports, real good food (steak and seafood) and the regular selection of booze. Jimmy isn't on the Calzada, so there's no sidewalk seating. It's usually hopping when there's an important game on. Mostly hopping in the evening, but there's a sweet spot in the afternoon where people start to come in mostly for the drinking.

5. If you want to go Nica style, there's a great place right next door to the abandoned hospital in front of the PetroNic station. I can't remember the name of the place because it's painted tiny somewhere on there with all the logos and whatnot, but they have a great fritanga antojito platter with homemade chorizo, grilled chicken, and assorted fritanga fare for around 120 cords. It's easily enough food for 3 and enough cholesterol for 10, with the usual adult beverages on offer at the usual prices. The place starts hopping around quitting time and goes strong into the evening. You can't miss it because it's completely open on the front and is terraced on 3 levels (so that you can watch the traffic while getting your buzz on). Aventura will probably be playing on the speakers. If not, wait one song and it will be.

If you're going alone, 1 and 4 are the places because they're quieter and the people more apt to strike up a conversation with a stranger. The other places are better if you're taking a group. Number 5 is the best if you're taking visitors from other countries who want to try some greasy Nicaraguan fare and drink Nicaraguan booze while listening to Nicaraguan tunes Nicaraguan style (loud). It's my favorite of all of them and if it was closer to my house, I'd probably spend way too much time there.

Just keep in mind that Granada has a whole lot going on, but the lack of cubicle slaves means there's no real market for the traditional "happy hour". Nobody has really had a bad day that they need to forget unless they were in Managua trying to process something official. The eating and drinking goes on pretty much whenever, not just at quitting time.
    "Un Estado que no se rigiera según la justicia se reduciría a una gran banda de ladrones." --San Agustín

You want Granada Happy Hour head down to Avienda Guzman towards Barrio Maldito. There is a bar across from the pharmacy that fills around dinner time with the working man. No gringos save for me when I lived over there. 30 pesos for the big bottle of beer and tell the lady how many glasses you need. Be sure to blow in them first.

My avatar is meant to promote a negative visual response and I make no moral equivocations between images. To me all are scumbags to some degree and each has own emotional response.

Happy Hour died in Granada when I quit drinking.

And DSB and Thom know of nice places to go to....

That is what TRN is about, to give a headsup and personal opnions.....
    I happily reccomend my favorite watering hole in Nicaragua; Gaston`s Carneceria in lovely Puerto Cabezas.

Excellent conversation, 5 yr old FDC is appreciated when you show up and it always produces a gleam in Gaston`s eyes for sure. Ain`t no women, just the boys and the discussion is usually about the weather or hog killing.

Blog Entries

I have been to Granada several times.....

I liked every where I went, even on that main street with the sweet tropical drinks charged with the cheap rum, except for them incessant beating of the drums and silly people dancing around with a doll baby over their heads.....

I liked the Zoom Bar, and another one on a corner somewhere close by that two Gringas ran, cant remember the name.....

And like Bad Seed, the ones that the locals go to as well.....

And DSB, make sure none of your family and loved ones are standing near you today.....

I feel like lightning is fixin to strike somewhar close to you.....

I have been to Granada several times.....

I liked every where I went, even on that main street with the sweet tropical drinks charged with the cheap rum, except for them incessant beating of the drums and silly people dancing around with a doll baby over their heads.....

I liked the Zoom Bar, and another one on a corner somewhere close by that two Gringas ran, cant remember the name.....

And like Bad Seed, the ones that the locals go to as well.....

And DSB, make sure none of your family and loved ones are standing near you today.....

I feel like lightning is fixin to strike somewhar close to you.....
    Wahl...it is!!!

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    2. You want more fruity drinks and a younger crowd, Nectar has one of those margarita deals I talked about from the afternoons to early evening on weekdays. They have live music (semi-acoustic neo-hippie gotta save the world stuff), food I don't care for much (but La Baby Doc does). They also make a bunch of fruity drinks in various colors. Can't say how good they are because alcohol and fruit don't mix, but the ladies like it.
    the owner of nectar and his significant other were on house hunters' international...

3 neat houses
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

We went to eat at Nectar with Kathy Seff this evening. The company was good! Nectar is located on the Calle La Calzada, about 1 1/2 blocks east of Central Park. It's the second time I've been here so I was moved to write about it. From 4-7 p.m. they have a happy hour (supposedly they 'double' the drinks). You can see some tall Mojitos in the picture (about C$50 - $2.40 each). Apparently they double them with water because they were quite weak. I would have settled for one decent one instead of the happy hour trick. Anyways....I ordered the lemon chicken fingers. They were good, served with potatos as seen in the pix. That there order cost C$80 ($3.80). One a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give Nectar a 6. It is ok but nothing that I'd get a hankering for....sorry all you Nectarites!

Hoy fuimos a comer en Nectar con Kathy Seff. Buena compañía! Nectar está ubicado en Calle La Calzada, 1 1/2 cuadras al este del parque central. Es la segunda vez que he ido así que me animé a escribir algo sobre el lugar. Tienen su 'happy hour' de las 4 p.m. hasta las 7 p.m (supuestamente echan tragos dobles a las bebidas). Allí mirás unos mojitos en las fotos (C$50 - $2.40 cada uno). Por lo visto echan doble de agua porque las bebidas estaban bien aguadas....Mejor me hubieran dado una buena (pero de verdad) en vez de tal truco 'happy hour'. Ni modo...pedí los dedos de pollo al limón. Estaban buenos, servidos con papas como se mira en la foto. Cuesta C$80 ($3.80). De 1 a 10, le doy a Nectar un 6. Es aceptable la comida y servicio pero no creo que me den 'ganas' de volver...lamento decirlo a todos ustedes Nectaritos!!!!

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Doc View Post
    Depends on what you're looking for and who you're going with.

First off, there is little in the way of a real "happy hour" where the drinks are half off and the place quickly fills with commuters on their way from the office. Some places will do 2 x 1 margaritas or Nica Libres, but in general the booze has very little margin anyway so it costs the same all the time everywhere... dirt cheap.

1. You want gringo style, older crowd, classic rock on the speakers and sports on the screens, the Zoom Bar is practically sovereign U.S. territory. Good selection of whiskeys and assorted imported distilled spirits, plus Heineken beer in addition to the usual one-two punch of Toña or Victoria. Sports bar like back home, but the beer is still only a buck the burgers are a half pound AFTER cooking with Wayne's own ground beef that tastes like burger should and doesn't fall apart like regular Nica ground round.

3. Roadhouse right across the street from Nectar does the typical happy-hour style stuff with the 2 x 1 margaritas and whatnot. I swear the place is a perfect ripoff of TGI Friday's, complete with all the jerseys on the walls, the deep-fried menu, and a million bottles of assorted spirits on the wall. Personally, it's too loud for my taste and the indoor part is air conditioned which makes me feel like I'm drinking in a refrigerator. Some people think that's a plus, so they draw 'em in for that, but I didn't come here to shiver.

4. Jimmy Three Fingers has sports, real good food (steak and seafood) and the regular selection of booze. Jimmy isn't on the Calzada, so there's no sidewalk seating. It's usually hopping when there's an important game on. Mostly hopping in the evening, but there's a sweet spot in the afternoon where people start to come in mostly for the drinking.

5. If you want to go Nica style, there's a great place right next door to the abandoned hospital in front of the PetroNic station. I can't remember the name of the place because it's painted tiny somewhere on there with all the logos and whatnot, but they have a great fritanga antojito platter with homemade chorizo, grilled chicken, and assorted fritanga fare for around 120 cords. It's easily enough food for 3 and enough cholesterol for 10, with the usual adult beverages on offer at the usual prices. The place starts hopping around quitting time and goes strong into the evening. You can't miss it because it's completely open on the front and is terraced on 3 levels (so that you can watch the traffic while getting your buzz on). Aventura will probably be playing on the speakers. If not, wait one song and it will be.

If you're going alone, 1 and 4 are the places because they're quieter and the people more apt to strike up a conversation with a stranger. The other places are better if you're taking a group. Number 5 is the best if you're taking visitors from other countries who want to try some greasy Nicaraguan fare and drink Nicaraguan booze while listening to Nicaraguan tunes Nicaraguan style (loud). It's my favorite of all of them and if it was closer to my house, I'd probably spend way too much time there.

Just keep in mind that Granada has a whole lot going on, but the lack of cubicle slaves means there's no real market for the traditional "happy hour". Nobody has really had a bad day that they need to forget unless they were in Managua trying to process something official. The eating and drinking goes on pretty much whenever, not just at quitting time.
    Good contribution, thanks.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.